Need a experienced Gun stock re-finisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanmedic View Post
    Thank you sir!! He is the right man for this job, wanted a truoil hand finish, and that’s all he does, absolutely beautiful work
    Glad you found someone to do the top quality work that your beautiful rifle deserves.

Comment

Nice looking rifle, I found one this year, those guys were like the custom rifle builders of their day. Love their wood

Comment

Found my guy!! Thank y’all so much

Holy Moley what a beautiful rifle. What caliber and action is it? Douglas barrel? I have two Flaig’s rifles, but they’re not as nice as your’s! I refinished one with a very plain stock myself, this is my other one (300 Weatherby), could use refinishing at some point. Those old boys were artists. This one is an FN action, my other is a Sako L61R action. Congrats to you on owning such a wonderful piece.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
          Holy Moley what a beautiful rifle. What caliber and action is it? Douglas barrel? I have two Flaig’s rifles, but they’re not as nice as your’s! I refinished one with a very plain stock myself, this is my other one (300 Weatherby), could use refinishing at some point. Those old boys were artists. This one is an FN action, my other is a Sako L61R action. Congrats to you on owning such a wonderful piece.

Very nice!!! 7mm mag, Sako L61R action, yes sir I believe Douglas barrel, not 100% sure on that, has a very different contour to the barrel, starts out octagon then blends to round

Comment

[url=https: I’m confused by the made in Austria part
            Last edited by vanmedic; 11-30-2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

“Made is Austria” - maybe a Steyr barrel, octagonal with that full length ramp, wow, beautiful. If you take the stock off, you’ll probably find more markings on the bottom side of the barrel to give you more info. Also, when you or your refinisher removes the stock, see if it’s epoxy bedded. Both of my Flaig’s guns are epoxy bedded. Again, Flaig’s knew their stuff. The L61R is a great action, slicker than a Mauser 98, simple, and very strong. How is the trigger? Both of mine had trigger work done to get the pull down to about 1.5 lbs with no creep (on the factory trigger assembly).

A few more questions if you don’t mind: Is it a new acquisition or heirloom piece? Are you going to hunt it or more for collecting?

Comment

Trigger is extremely nice, stock is epoxy bedded, not Douglas , think the barrel is Boehler Stahl or Steyr as you suggested , my father owned it for many years, I now own it, I will hunt with it as he did, amazing shooter! Purchased a Swarovski scope today.my mother was left my dads gun collection as sort of a retirement extra income, I purchased from my mother, she wanted to give it to me but I could not allow that
                Last edited by vanmedic; 12-01-2021, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Anyone used Mac’s in Tyler for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Feland's Gunsmithing

(281) 373-0335

One of the Best Gun Lumber workers for gun in the Country.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                      Following! I have two i would like to get completely redone.
                      Hey there, LR. Go check out Brian's shop at Lohman Gunsmith. Local dude that's done several water damage restorations as well as full stock repairs. The guys do great work. Can't recommend them enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                        “Made is Austria” - maybe a Steyr barrel, octagonal with that full length ramp, wow, beautiful. If you take the stock off, you’ll probably find more markings on the bottom side of the barrel to give you more info. Also, when you or your refinisher removes the stock, see if it’s epoxy bedded. Both of my Flaig’s guns are epoxy bedded. Again, Flaig’s knew their stuff. The L61R is a great action, slicker than a Mauser 98, simple, and very strong. How is the trigger? Both of mine had trigger work done to get the pull down to about 1.5 lbs with no creep (on the factory trigger assembly).

A few more questions if you don’t mind: Is it a new acquisition or heirloom piece? Are you going to hunt it or more for collecting?
                        Took barrel down, it is a Bohler Rasant , the seem to have done a good bit of the 1/2 octagon 1/2 round , the lands are the sharpest/ heaviest I have ever seen .
                        Last edited by vanmedic; 12-01-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I have a belt sander and some rasps we can get all that fancy stuff off in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by medic911 View Post
                            I have a belt sander and some rasps we can get all that fancy stuff off in no time.
                            Go to work!

Comment

Took barrel down, it is a Bohler Rasant , the seem to have done a good bit of the 1/2 octagon 1/2 round , the lands are the sharpest/ heaviest I have ever seen .

Very cool; awesome that it’s an heirloom piece

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
                                Anyone used Mac’s in Tyler for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X