No announcement yet.

Son’s ‘83 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dale is correct. That is an aftermarket seat that was popular in the late 80's/early 90's. Lots of the customized Chevy's from that time period (think Choo-Choo Customs) had that exact same setup. We had an '88 single cab from Choo-Choo Customs that we picked up at an insurance auction that had the same seat setup in it (along with a customized paint job). The arm bolster foam in the center section was the first thing to "go limp." Comfortable seats, but a little tough to find replacement pieces for. I think JC Whitney had similar stuff.

Project looks like it's going well. Awesome that your son has found a lifetime hobby! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Looking great. He's making great progress and quick.

Comment

I had that exact seat I my 94 chevy. Came like that from the dealership. Brand new. The issue was the driver seat squished down real low and I had to fold a couple towels up to sit on and boost me up. Granted I was only about 5'8" at the time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. Good luck!

Comment

Back brakes took a lot longer than what we wanted, but think we’ve finally got them taken care of. He had to go to work this evening, so we still need to get them lines bled. Hopefully tomorrow night when I get home and we can get it off the jack stands and take it for a spin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8665DD43-FD36-4BA4-B2E1-C876EA2BA43E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	24669610

Name:	D1D759FB-6572-4BCF-A8DA-B6009B60AB08.jpeg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	24669611

Comment

Ah I hate drum brakes .

Comment

Well a couple of weeks ago, we finally got it back to road legal with a passing inspection and registration. Joe was able to drive it to school that Tuesday and Wednesday. He called me from church that Wednesday evening and told me the steering was tough. Went to the church to check it out and it was leaking power steering fluid. Figured it was a loose hose at the pump. Last weekend I went to tighten the hose and put a new belt on it, but noticed it was leaking at the pump. We just put the pump on about four months ago, so at least it’s under warranty. Joe was a tad disappointed that it was only on the road for two days.

Got the new pump and will hopefully get it on tomorrow.

In the mean time, he got a little work done on the steering wheel tonight.

Name:	21CBA518-560E-4BEA-AFCB-1C7A7084C7EA.jpeg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24673041

Name:	AC3D801F-6160-40A6-82BB-0AE28E5923E9.jpeg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	24673042

Name:	5E9122A1-70EE-44D5-80B0-725C9C5C0112.jpeg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24673043

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

He will be very proud of this! Good job

Comment

Well the second new power steering pump is on, but the high pressure hose is rubbing bad against the belt. Went to parts house to see what options were out there, but didn’t have anything that I thought would solve the problem. Going to take the hose to a hydraulic hose shop on Monday and see if they can make me what I need.

Name:	43F6CC34-2A97-478E-9C9F-DBCD210F32A6.jpeg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24673096

Got the steering wheel sanded, stained, and first coat of clear applied. A light sand and second clear coat tomorrow should get it done and ready to install later this week.

Comment

Great looking truck. Good job young man. My grandson and I just pulled his 85 k20 4x4 out of the barn and cleaned it up. We are going to start on it next year.

Comment

After a couple of days working on it, I think we’ve got the power steering fixed. Ended up having to put a 90° elbow on the pressure hose to get it out of the way of the belts. Joe took her for a spin this morning and we gave her a bath.

Steering wheel is finished and we’ll put it on this weekend. Still lots to do, but hopefully she’ll stay on the road for more than 2 days this time.

Name:	E4400BA6-FAFD-406A-9B1A-7F2F69B5D168.jpeg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	24673268

Name:	DE7B036C-4C80-45C3-8618-E3C72C21CE65.jpeg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24673269

Comment

Looking really good!

Comment

Enjoy this thread, keep it going

Comment

You two have done a great job! Thanks for taking us along so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X