Consequences for shooting in self defense but do not have CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I have the same questions. I have to travel to Fort Worth for a funeral today. I'm sure nothing will happen but odds are higher now than before.
    Go online and research the Castle Doctrine. This was the colloquial name of the bill written and sponsored by Sen. Jeff(?) Wentworth out of San Antonio(?) maybe eight or ten years ago. I believe it ensured Texans the right to possess/carry a gun in their home and in theirs cars, for the purpose of personal defense, without an LTC.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
      There might be other earlier references but I teach this one.

In 1763 or 13 years before the USA claimed it independence, William Pitt made this statement in the British House of Commons. I believe to a lot of extent, this is where we got the Fourth Amendment. He said:

“The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail — its roof may shake — the wind may blow through it — the storm may enter — the rain may enter — but the King of England cannot enter — all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement!”

I also think this is at least partly where we get the phrase, a man’s home is his castle.

The king has his castle and I have mine. It might be a shack but it is mine and the king can’t enter any more than I can enter his castle without his permission.

But your car isn’t it or even implied.
      gotcha. I misunderstood then and thought the castle law transfered to your car if you were in it? Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

[quote=flywise;14899659]
        Originally posted by Olphart View Post
        Ok, how do we know you are a law abiding citizen? And how would it be illegal for a felon to have a gun if he/she is allowed to carry under the constitution?[/

There is no need for you are anyone else to know if I am or someone else is a law abiding citizen until which time I do something that requires the police to check me.
        Felons already carry when they know they are not allowed to do so. Millions of people like me who have never been convicted of anything can’t carry legally with out gaining permission from big brother. Why is that fair?
        Then society reverts back to "why was he allowed to posses a gun," following an incident where you shoot a person knocking on your front door? Or, you become senile in your old age and a relative starts demanding "something" be done to take your gun. And yes, felons often don't care about laws, especially if that's how they make their living, but it isn't without penalty when caught.

Why is there a law that requires you to provide schooling for your children? Why do you have to prove you live in a location before you vote? There are a lot of reasons we have laws and most are to protect the general public and provide for safer travels on roadways, waterways, etc. As it has been said, why not just get a LTC and not fluff the hairs on your neck?

My personal dislike about the LTC laws is that ALL states don't reciprocate and have the same requirements where a TX LTC can carry in California or New York and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          So, to make it simple for the tards
          Say my mother who is 75 and never **** a gun or cared to carry a gun sees the news and grabs my dads gun in the way out the door to go to the store. Gun in purse, someone attacks her on the way into the store and she shoots him.....she going to prison?
          Tell her to leave his handgun in the drawer and throw the 12 gauge over her shoulder and she is good to go.

Comment

Consequences for shooting in self defense but do not have CHL

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
            Ok, how do we know you are a law abiding citizen? And how would it be illegal for a felon to have a gun if he/she is allowed to carry under the constitution?

Because federal law trumps state law. You still have to go through background check and 4473 by federal law if purchasing through a FFL.

If they lie on the 4473 or get their guns through other means as a prohibited person, they’ve already broken the law.

And like I’ve said MANY times before, there are now 16-17 states that are constitutional carry states. That hasn’t seemed to be a problem there.

Lawbreakers tend to try and fly under the radar as to not draw attention to themselves.

And as to whether you know that I am a law abiding citizen you don’t. And it’s none of your business.

EDIT: I see flywise beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Mike D; 06-01-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Did you guys carry illegal knives before that stupidity went away? I mean, an inch or two made all the difference
              Well, you're right about one thing: an inch or two does make a big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                Well, you're right about one thing: an inch or two does make a big difference...
                I knew someone would...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                    If you believe you have a 'constitutional' right to carry a weapon, do so. But, you are risking a lot money if you have to use that weapon to defend yourself and then use a lawyer to defend you. In the best case scenario of a sympathetic jury, you'll just bankrupt your family to walk free. It would be so much less money/trouble to just get a license to carry.
                    As a recovering attorney, I can tell you that proving yourself right is often not worth the money.
                    And for those espousing a 'God given right' to carry - I am pretty knowledgeable about the Bible and I have yet to see where such a right is mentioned. Perhaps it was just hyperbole.

God given right to protect my family by any means necessary brother. I deem a firearm necessary. There you go.

Comment

If an LTC is easy to get and the shooting standards are basically a joke ( both things said many times on TBH )then what’s the point in the License?

Is it simply to collect data, money?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                        Just my opinion, but, guys who refuse to get an ltc aren’t really refusing to, chances are they cant.
                        Ok, pile on, I’m a big boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Lol. Keep seeking the government permission to carry then.

Comment

If an LTC is easy to get and the shooting standards are basically a joke ( both things said many times on TBH )then what’s the point in the License?

Pretty much except for the background check. That helps some...

Comment

Yes.

I do however feel there is some value to the classroom portion of the class that goes over the penal code. There’s plenty of evidence right here on TBH to that (I.e. people referencing the castle doctrine that does not exist ver batim in the penal code).

I still do not believe however that that should be mandated by the government as a condition of carrying a handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Because federal law trumps state law. You still have to go through background check and 4473 by federal law if purchasing through a FFL.

If they lie on the 4473 or get their guns through other means as a prohibited person, they’ve already broken the law.

And like I’ve said MANY times before, there are now 16-17 states that are constitutional carry states. That hasn’t seemed to be a problem there.

Lawbreakers tend to try and fly under the radar as to not draw attention to themselves.

And as to whether you know that I am a law abiding citizen you don’t. And it’s none of your business.

EDIT: I see flywise beat me to it.

Regarding felons, how many do you think go to a gun store and buy? Not many at all, so that negates your argument about going through a FFL.....another law. If Constitutional carry is so great, why have to comply with federal laws?

As for "in your business," I really don't care. It was in reference to public opinion, such as employers or law enforcement. You have a good evening!

Comment

Needs clarification. Minimum and maximum. Is there a slot limit?

Comment

Working...
                                X