No announcement yet.

The quest for a Giant American Alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is an excellent write up. Thank you for taking us along for the ride of taking an ancient gator. Congrats.

Comment

Awesome. That is an incredible specimen. Great write up, thanks for sharing.

I’m convinced Steve knows how to locate and hunt the biggest animals of any species in East Texas. I’m sure he could put a fella on a world class turtle, rabbit, bat, heck he prolly even knows where Bigfoot lives.

Comment

Great write up! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Congrats again, he looks as big in the ldp’s as he did in the scouting pics!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

I read this article twice. A few observations.

First one is that the story could have been three times as long. There was some serious adversity overcome in the achievement noted.

Second is Justin's conservative nature. I promise you the figures he quoted on that gator are conservative. I'm sure he didn't want such an awesome experience flawed by the typical group of nay saying. Like a recent fish thread. There is no picture of that gator that truly represents the scale of it.

Next is the lack of credit Justin gives himself. I'm constantly amazed at the success Justin achieves in his exploits. He has more drive than anyone I know. I could give a dozen examples of this from. His taking a true in the books low fence booner buck to his world class aoudad or taking a mature buck from the DCNF. One example is his arrowheads collection. 5 years ago he had like three arrowheads and knew nothing about them. He watched studied and learned. In three years he went from that to owning what may be the finest personal find collection in the nation. In the process he became someone who's opinion I value on typology as well.

This gator hunt is special to me. I'm Glad I had a part in helping him get a monster but when he sets his mind to something he makes it happen. Justin is family at my parents house. Literally treated just like I am treated there. A more valued friend I never had.

Here's to the next adventure. Steve
              Last edited by GarGuy; 04-13-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Congrats! Amazing story.

Comment

That's a GIANT! Congrats to you both

Comment

What a story befitting a true trophy.

Congratulations!

Comment

great write up! Congrats!

Comment

Very cool story!!!!! And congrats on your lizard!!!!

I killed one that was 11’1” back a few years ago, all bowhunting (no hook line, or rifle, or bang stick). That one was weighed on a scale, and was 390#, so yours may not weigh in at 700+#?????

Right before we weighed mine, the guide looked at me and said “Those guys on Swamp People are full of crap every time they say they have an 800# gator, so don’t be disappointed when you see this number!”.

I wasn’t disappointed at all!!!! He was still huge, no matter what the scale said!!!!!!

Congrats again,

Bisch

Comment

Awesome, huge congrats to you!!!

Comment

Awesome write-up, and to have the note from Garguy adds to the determination and thought that has gone into your process. Congratulations. Well earned.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              Very cool story!!!!! And congrats on your lizard!!!!

I killed one that was 11’1” back a few years ago, all bowhunting (no hook line, or rifle, or bang stick). That one was weighed on a scale, and was 390#, so yours may not weigh in at 700+#?????

Right before we weighed mine, the guide looked at me and said “Those guys on Swamp People are full of crap every time they say they have an 800# gator, so don’t be disappointed when you see this number!”.

I wasn’t disappointed at all!!!! He was still huge, no matter what the scale said!!!!!!

Congrats again,

Bisch
                              I hear ya. The difference between girth of a coastal gator and these inland gators is significant. We have weighed several of these east tx giants on Certified scales that weighed from 765 to 890 lb. The numbers he gave here are conservative on both length and weight. I presume in order to avoid a lot of second guessing.

Comment

What an outstanding write up. Felt like I was with you the whole time. Congrats on a beast of a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                                X