Choke Canyon North Shore Compartments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Canyon North Shore Compartments

Does anyone have any input on the attached compartments? Will be hunting here next week.
    Attached Files

Target rich- entire area usually has high density of deer.

Comment

So are you saying any compartment?

Comment

Hunted compartment 1 last year and it was a tough hunt. This was mainly because of how thick the brush is its tough to find a decent clearing to actually see. But we did end up taking a doe and hog. We were the first group to pick our compartment and were told by the staff that compartment 1 is the usually the best option. That being said there is definitely a lot of deer and hogs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bignick612 View Post
          Hunted compartment 1 last year and it was a tough hunt. This was mainly because of how thick the brush is its tough to find a decent clearing to actually see. But we did end up taking a doe and hog. We were the first group to pick our compartment and were told by the staff that compartment 1 is the usually the best option. That being said there is definitely a lot of deer and hogs out there.
          I am getting first pick for next week as well. Based on your hunt, do you think that compartment one was indeed the best choice?

Comment

Hard to say because I'm not real sure if any one else was successful in the other compartments on that hunt. The biggest draw to compartment 1 is that it has a long utility right of way going through it and gives a pretty easy place to set up and see a lot of area. If youre more into bushwacking through thick brush to a remote spot you may like the other areas better.

Comment

Originally posted by bignick612 View Post
              Hard to say because I'm not real sure if any one else was successful in the other compartments on that hunt. The biggest draw to compartment 1 is that it has a long utility right of way going through it and gives a pretty easy place to set up and see a lot of area. If youre more into bushwacking through thick brush to a remote spot you may like the other areas better.
              Gotcha. Did you bowhunt or use a rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by jtslush View Post
                Gotcha. Did you bowhunt or use a rifle?
                It was a rifle hunt.

Comment

Looks like compartment 2 has the most senderos. Think you could scatter corn out down all of them and have attractant over a very broad area
                  Last edited by slayr; 12-02-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

We hunted 2 and 3 3 had a lot of senders but we hunted the old lake bed which was a little more open. Corned the brush line. Take tripods. Dad hit a limb while shooting at a giant. We killed 2 spikes and 2 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      Looks like compartment 2 has the most senderos. Think you could scatter corn out down all of them and have attractant over a very broad area
                      I thought this looked good. Seems to have easier access to more of the compartment

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                        We hunted 2 and 3 3 had a lot of senders but we hunted the old lake bed which was a little more open. Corned the brush line. Take tripods. Dad hit a limb while shooting at a giant. We killed 2 spikes and 2 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks for the input!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Some youth killed a 160 plus last yr in 4

Comment

Neighbors to the north used to notoriously bait extremely heavily to draw as many deer off the area as they could before and during the hunt periods.

I hunted compartment two and saw hogs, and only one deer.

This was all years ago, so I dont know if things have changed.

Comment

This week compartment 1 hunter was tagged out the first evening with his 2 deana left this morning. We are in compartment 3 with 1 deer shot. I know 1 deer shot out of 4 as of this morning. I don't know about 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X