Drawn for Mule Deer at Elephant Mountain WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Mule Deer at Elephant Mountain WMA

We got lucky and drew this years rifle hunt at the end of December, super pumped! I've never been in this area before or have I hunted mule deer so would like to hear from others if they have any information to share. I've looked over a few threads and picked up on a few things that will prepare us. Going to borrow my Dads 6.5 creedmor precision rifle which should help me extend my range over my 270 that I've always hunted whitetail with. Also, going to pick up good spotting scope as that will be a key in locating the muleys, then make a move on them. Should be a fun hunt, can't wait!

Any information would be appreciated, PM if you prefer.

They are fun to hunt.
    During mid day get high and look under every bush for 1000 yards. Take your time and you won’t believe it when all you see is a fork in the middle Of a bush or a white face.
    See one too like make sure you take the long way around if that’s what it takes to keep the wind in your face. Probably be good to take knee pads and leather gloves in case you need to crawl to gain that extra 100 or 200 yards

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      They are fun to hunt.
      During mid day get high and look under every bush for 1000 yards. Take your time and you won’t believe it when all you see is a fork in the middle Of a bush or a white face.
      See one too like make sure you take the long way around if that’s what it takes to keep the wind in your face. Probably be good to take knee pads and leather gloves in case you need to crawl to gain that extra 100 or 200 yards
      thanks for the helpful information flywise!

Comment

Lucky you! Best of luck to you

Comment

Best of luck on a Great opportunity

Comment

I didn't get draw but I think I would stick to my 270 that your familiar with and has more knockdown power.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              I didn't get draw but I think I would stick to my 270 that your familiar with and has more knockdown power.

I plan to practice a few times at 300yards to get comfortable shooting the 6.5. If I don’t feel confident, I’ll definitely lean on my 270.

Comment

Anyone else have any pointers

Comment

I hunted there on a youth hunt with my nephew several years ago. It was a doe hunt and all we saw were bucks including this one that walked within 17 yards of us while we were just standing in the open.
                  We saw at least a dozen bucks and we even practiced making a stalk on one even though we couldn’t shoot it. Got within 100 yds. Not sure what the deal was but they were out and moving a lot. Just no does. FYI our hunt started on New Year’s Day so close to same time of year for you. It was very cold also. In the 20s. We were in the northeast corner. Don’t remember what pasture they called it.

I have bow hunted Black gap and it certainly wasn’t like that. I echo what was said before about get high and glass. A tripod for binos would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                    I hunted there on a youth hunt with my nephew several years ago. It was a doe hunt and all we saw were bucks including this one that walked within 17 yards of us while we were just standing in the open.
                    We saw at least a dozen bucks and we even practiced making a stalk on one even though we couldn’t shoot it. Got within 100 yds. Not sure what the deal was but they were out and moving a lot. Just no does. FYI our hunt started on New Year’s Day so close to same time of year for you. It was very cold also. In the 20s. We were in the northeast corner. Don’t remember what pasture they called it.

I have bow hunted Black gap and it certainly wasn’t like that. I echo what was said before about get high and glass. A tripod for binos would be good.

Appreciate the info! That's a nice buck too! Hoping they are moving when we get there

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Headed out on Sunday for the archery draw hunt, I'll report back

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                          Headed out on Sunday for the archery draw hunt, I'll report back

Thanks Reaper! I wish you the best of luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                            good luck!

Thank you!

Comment

Been a long time since I hunted there, 94 or 95 I think, so can't give you ant recent info. Plus, ours was an October bowhunt, so take that into consideration (a rifle hunt closer to the rut will most likely yield more bucks). We hunted the north side, which was half down low and flat leading to the mountain, and the other half was the side of the actual mountain. The slope wasn't ridiculously steep, but enough to get your attention after a few hundred yards going up. Don't make the mistake of hunting the low flat areas, all of the deer are on the slope. When standing at the bottom looking up, it will give you the impression that it is just an open area and you'll think you could see a deer all the way to the top. But the slope has many plateaus and valleys that effectively hide the deer. Go as high as you can (takes a pretty good while to get to the top) and glass downward, and if you do this, plan to stay all day (no sense making that climb twice). Again, this is all relative to the north side, but probably doesn't apply to the other compartments, which I think are probably better. I never saw a buck, but it was just a 2-day hunt (over 3 days) back then. Plus, we wasted the first 2 hunts hunting down low. Once we figured it out, we saw quite a few does and fawns, just no bucks. It's fun country to hunt though. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X