No announcement yet.

Public Mule Deer Hunting New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theres huge mule deer in unit 27 and 23. huge elk in unit 15 and 16a. lived her all my life i know

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I was drawn for unit 37....ordered the maps today. Is anybody else going?

Comment

Are you going in January? If so you need 4wd 4 wheelers, chains, jacks ect. If you go sept. find a good water hole that does not have human traffic. Commit to it all day long until you get one. sounds easy but it is hard to sit there all day long for several days.

Comment

Thanks for responding to my questions regarding the mule deer hunting in New Mexico. I've been busy and haven't checked the web to see if anybody responded to my post until now.
          I was drawn for unit 37 and have ordered the BLM maps for the area. I've never hunted the area and I would appreciate any information you have about the area. I'm in pretty good shape but i know it is much different type of conditioning in the mountains. I run 3 miles a couple times a week. I planned on doing a lot of walking but didn't know how much we would be able to do.
          I also didn't know if we would be hunting the mountains or the bottom land during the rut. I have heard that the mules come down to the lower ground during January. Any truth to that?
          So much research to do!

Comment

Originally posted by joneill View Post
            Thanks for responding to my questions regarding the mule deer hunting in New Mexico. I've been busy and haven't checked the web to see if anybody responded to my post until now.
            I was drawn for unit 37 and have ordered the BLM maps for the area. I've never hunted the area and I would appreciate any information you have about the area. I'm in pretty good shape but i know it is much different type of conditioning in the mountains. I run 3 miles a couple times a week. I planned on doing a lot of walking but didn't know how much we would be able to do.
            I also didn't know if we would be hunting the mountains or the bottom land during the rut. I have heard that the mules come down to the lower ground during January. Any truth to that?So much research to do!

yeah thats true if theres snow in the high country..

somebody mentioned chains,4wheeler, and shovel.. id throw in a winch too.
            those roads get SLOPPY, esp the ones that are run 2 or 3 times a day by the oil field gaugers.

Comment

Originally posted by joneill View Post
              I also didn't know if we would be hunting the mountains or the bottom land during the rut. I have heard that the mules come down to the lower ground during January. Any truth to that?
              So much research to do!
              I went last weekend and scouted for a few days. I am glad I did. I found several areas that looked good but no deer sign. There were lots of elk and prong horns but no deer. I met up with a buddy of mine that lives in Capitan. He took me out and showed me some areas to scout. I saw a couple of groups of bucks and two really nice deer. I will be glad to help you out with what I find during my hunt. I know you are hunting Jan. but my information should help some.

Comment

That would be great! I really appreciate it. Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

There are not any big deer in NM. All the big deer are in texas!

Comment

We have plenty of big deer in NM you just have to hunt them. They dont come to the feeder when the timer goes off.

Comment

LMAO.....ah so very true chiledip!

Comment

Working...
                      X