Who's been bitten by a venomous snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    I didn't. Even though I washed the jeans they would still cause a rash. Even as it healed it constantly dries out and peeled. Sore and raw a long time. Steroid cream and antibiotics is all doc did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I guess I should clarify. I had no idea that the venom would do this to skin...just didn’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Tine View Post
      I would burn my house down.
      On the bright side if there is one loose I have a mouse trap that moves around and actively hunts the mice where as most stay in one spot.

Comment

Fishing out on Fort Hood one year. A good friend of mine and I were on foot. We get to this clearing with grass that was 2 or 3 feet high. The spot we wanted to fish was a quick 30-40 yards across or we could walk 2-300yards around on a dirt road. We decided to take the short cut. About half way across these two snakes were entangled in one another with their heads poking above the grass. I assumed they were breeding. Scared the day lights out of my. I high tailed it to the other side. Ruined my fishing trip. Could not settle down after that.

Comment

Got hit by a copperhead back in '09. Sucked for about 6 weeks.

Comment

lots of interesting stories

Comment

was weed eating around the outside of my property fence, tall Johnson grass, seen the short stub tail of a copper head going away from me
              worked up a sweat, finished went in to take a shower, and my leg was sore, but though nothing of it, a couple of weeks later at doctors for a check up ,and sees the puncture wound still a bit scabbed over. he asked what kind Snake was it that bit me? i was like ,, snake bite? so apparently it was dry bite ( thank goodness).. now, i look real good i would say my snake boots would have helped but the bite was right under my knee... close call and very lucky for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                I guess I should clarify. I had no idea that the venom would do this to skin...just didn’t know.
                Me either. Powerful stuff.
                It was a rattler.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Me either. Powerful stuff.
                  It was a rattler.

Everyone reacts to venom differently though too. Some people that get bit might just swell up and that's about the extent of it. Others might get bit and go into anaphylactic shock. Same way with bee or wasp stings. I know a guy that got bit and and had to be revived when the EMT's got there. He lived but ended up losing a finger.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
                    Never struck but got REALLY close twice. First time I’m airing up tractor tire in pasture. As I’m putting air in a keep hearing a buzzing/ humming sound. Sounds like lot of air escaping on backside of tire. So I’m on all fours and stick my head around tire to find leak. He was about 3-4 inches from my face. I don’t know why he didn’t strike but he still got a lick in. I about knocked myself out on the three point getting out of there
                    Second time I’m sleeping in an old rock house we stayed in at our old lease. Middle of night I gotta go pee. But before I get outta bed , I take a drink of water from bottle on my night stand. When I set the bottle down, I hear that buzzing right next to my bed where I am about to swing my feet down. I reach up and flip on light switch and there he is coiled up, rattling. Lost the lease same year and I was okay with it !!
                    Heck nah! I check my trailer up and down every trip out!

Comment

The old ranch house I used to stay in often had rattlers in the yard since the surrounding pasture was rocky and covered with prickly pear, even though I tried to keep the yard mowed. It's hard to sleep when you hear buzzing at head height in the walls. One night, had a rat snake cruising the bedroom floor. Next morning, found him in the night table drawer. Another big rat snake one sat coiled in the toilet bowl, reminding me to keep the lid down. He didn't want to come out.

Closest call was a thick six foot rattler that buzzed under my feet during dove season while hunting in the pasture, coiled under the thick foot high dove weed. Startled as it buzzed right at my feet , I jumped straight up in the air, with my empty shotgun in one hand and an unopened box of shells flying in the other. With my left hand, I grabbed my forty pound Brittany by the collar to make sure he would not approach the snake and get bitten. The thick six foot long snake, with a head as big as my fist, began to slither straight towards me and my dog as I kneeled down on my right knee to hold my dog back. With only my right hand free, I pressed the load button with my right thumb, slid a shell into the Browning 20 auto, pressed the button to arm it and pushed in the safety. As I kneeled, I was able to shoot just behind the snakes head to decapitate him as he "charged" only a foot away.

My uncle by marriage, who had watched the whole incident as part of the walking hunting party, without any aid or comment, said "You shot his head off." Why no one else stepped in to kill or stop that snake I'll never know. I guess I should be glad no one shot me by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                        In 3rd grade my friend Jeff got bit on the heel by a copperhead and spent the better part of a week in the hospital. He still describes it as the most pain he's ever been in, and this is a pretty tough guy.

A farrier friend of mine in Friendswood lost his lifetime best friend to a rattlesnake bite. His friend was putting out duck decoys and a rattler struck him on the forehead. He died before they could get him to the ER. His young son saw it and told the EMT's, "an arm big as my daddy's reached up and punched my dad right in the face."
                        His initials wouldnt be H.M. would they?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          I'm not 100% sure but I think I have a rattlesnake loose somewhere in my house so I may have another story to add at some point. I had a box of them in my room so they wouldn't freeze during cold weather and I was missing one. Might have miscounted might not have. Won't know unless it shows up somewhere. It's been about a month since then and so far so good so it's probably alright.

If your boxes are anything like mine you miscounted. But even then there are better options to keep them from freezing than bringing them in the house!

Comment

I used to have a camp house down in McFaddin when you took a shower you could hear the rattle bugs buzzing under the tub. I grabbed a plate out of the cabinet once and a snake struck it so hard it broke into came pretty close messing up my drawers on that one.

Comment

Ex wives count?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                                I use to be married does that count?
                                As someone with the same situation, yes it counts

Comment

Working...
                                X