Refinish/paint cultured marble countertops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refinish/paint cultured marble countertops

Has anybody refinished or painted their countertops? Specifically, cultured marble.

We have a marble countertop in the 2nd bathroom that my wife has always hated the color of. For reference, it looks like a carton of Rocky Road ice cream. She also hates the design of the sink.

So, we purchased a used marble countertop for about $50 in a nice kind of grey/silver marble, but it didn't have the side splashes and I can't find anything to match the color. A couple places said they could match it, but would be a couple hundred $$'s for the batch-mix.

Now, the plan is to refinish the used the top and the existing side splashes. Looking to DIY this myself, but there seems to be a lot of products out there. Some pretty inexpensive and some really expensive.

Just looking for some real-world experiences here if anyone has gone down this road before. Information on products used, also. My hunting buddy had their kitchen tops redone a few years ago (in their old house), but paid someone. We liked the look, but I'm too cheap and not looking to pay someone.

No matter what you do or what product you use, it will look painted. And it won’t hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You could find a decorative tile in the same color scheme to use for the side splashes.

Comment

This has some really cool patterns you can do.

Learn how to create your own epoxy countertops and shop for the right products at Stone Coat Countertops. Our videos and guides show what epoxy resin products will work for your DIY or professional project. Find it all at StoneCoatCountertops.com

Comment

When I purchased my first house the previous owners had painted the kitchen formica counter tops and the hall bath tub and surrounding tile. The color was fine. But it was painted, and you could tell it was painted, and it looked terrible!

If you want a DIY project have someone cut you a granite counter top and side/back splash pieces and install it yourself with a new drop in sink. It would definitely cost more than paint but it would look about a million times better!

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
            You could find a decorative tile in the same color scheme to use for the side splashes.

This is actually a really good budget friendly idea. Re-do the whole splash with tile!! Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just do a tile backsplash like mentioned above. Very common and looks good.

Comment

I have no experience with tile...

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                  I have no experience with tile...
                  It's very easy. You Tube it and you'll be an expert in 10 minutes.

Comment

Well after much, much research and lots of emails with questions, this project is basically a bust. Turns out there's not much that will stick to cultured marble (even sanded) and still survive a wet environment like a bathroom sink. And we didn't like the look of the what you can get with the Stone Coatings products.

So, we're headed in a different direction. Right now this is temporarily put on hold as some other pressing items with the house are going to take the lime light.

The countertop is now for sale in this thread: Item #2 if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X