No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is from this morning. All blackbuck accounted for so far. Eating lots of protein, alfalfa, cottonseed, and corn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Even the baby blackbucks are doing okay. They are hitting the feeders 5-6x a day. I think all the extra alfalfa is helping a lot. Fingers crossed they get through one more cold night.

Comment

Glad everything is ok there. Prayers continuing for y'all.

Comment

Its good to see these pictures

It seems that the dead exotics that I've seen posted everywhere are mostly in neighborhoods and large ranches. I wonder if thats because most of those animals do not have the extra care that smaller managed ranches provide like alfalfa, protein, corn, etc. Not saying the bigger ones dont do it, but there is a smaller ratio per acre/animal of feed compared to the smaller places.

Comment

Man that is great to see those pics.. It gives me hope as we are not more
                  than 10 miles from you.. I've been hearing horror stories from all over the hill country...

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                    Its good to see these pictures

It seems that the dead exotics that I've seen posted everywhere are mostly in neighborhoods and large ranches. I wonder if thats because most of those animals do not have the extra care that smaller managed ranches provide like alfalfa, protein, corn, etc. Not saying the bigger ones dont do it, but there is a smaller ratio per acre/animal of feed compared to the smaller places.
                    You are probably correct on the big ranches. They probably feed but not on a scale that we do as it would cost too much. We have a 1,500lb protein feeder for every 80 acres and each feeder has 2 cottonseed feeders and a corn feeder so every animal gets some feed. We also drop a lot of alfalfa and feed all the roads every time we are out there. The good news is that all of our dressed out weights this fall were well above average so I’m hoping that helps the animals get through this cold snap. Fingers crossed the animals can get through one more cold night.
                    Last edited by bgleaton; 02-18-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

We are happy to report that the male blackbucks made it through winter storm. Still waiting to see pictures of the female blackbucks because we haven’t seen them since the cold spell.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

We are happy to report that the male blackbucks made it through winter storm. Still waiting to see pictures of the female blackbucks because we haven’t seen them since the cold spell.

Fingers crossed they show up.

Comment

Just saw yesterday and this morning that all of the blackbuck made it on our place. They were eating alfalfa, cottonseed, and protein constantly. We are very fortunate as I’ve seen a lot of pictures from others that weren’t so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            Just saw yesterday and this morning that all of the blackbuck made it on our place. They were eating alfalfa, cottonseed, and protein constantly. We are very fortunate as I’ve seen a lot of pictures from others that weren’t so lucky.
                            Glad to hear that!!! I believe those that fed real heavy & had a constant supply of food helped alot.

Comment

Man thats awesome

Comment

Our larger round concrete water trough developed some cracks in it from the winter storm last week. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix these cracks?

Comment

Working...
                                X