Shop door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop door

Question for the brain trust. I'm staying to build a 30x40 shop on my property. For the main door, I'm debating a roll up door versus overhead door. No real plans to insulate the shop if that helps. Pros or cons for both?

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
    Question for the brain trust. I'm staying to build a 30x40 shop on my property. For the main door, I'm debating a roll up door versus overhead door. No real plans to insulate the shop if that helps. Pros or cons for both?
    I have the same size shop and wish I'd put roll-ups in mine. Mine slide to the side on a track.
    Aside from that, you spend any time in there at all in the summer, you'll need to insulate it with something. Touch the metal inside where there is none and you'll see. I put mine on before the metal, it came in rolls and was 2" thick.
    Good luck!

Comment

We have rollup doors on both ends. I would recommend two rollup doors to allow a breeze to blow through when you're working in the heat of summer, especially with no insulation.

Comment

I like rollup because it does not block the lighting and create shadows.

Comment

Roll up, it's out of the way when opened. Add several for airflow. My shop is 40x50 and feels huge because i have 3 doors on the 50 foot side making the layout like bays plus one roll up on the north end for full airflow. Neighbors feels half the size with one door on the short side and its 30x40. Plus it's a hotbox

Comment

If at possible, put a man door somewhere in there, that way you don't have to open overhead door everytime you need to go inside.

JMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I put a roll up in both shops I have had built. My last one faces the evening sun and gets hot. I wish I had a door like a garage door so I could insulate it. Not a deal breaker though. It runs north and south and gets a lot of air flow thru it.

Comment

Roll up. And go as tall as your sidewalls will allow.

Comment

Having bay doors are great for letting air and light in. The down side is that they take up wall space. Depending on the area you live in you might choose a garage type panel door over a roll up door. Reason being is that roll ups can be blown in with high winds due to flexing. I built my shop with 12x14ft panel doors on each end and one in the middle of a long side. At times I wish I had omitted the middle door because it takes up wall space that I could use but then it lets in a lot of light nd air if needed.

Comment

X2 on as tall as you can go to let the heat out.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                      If at possible, put a man door somewhere in there, that way you don't have to open overhead door everytime you need to go inside.

JMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm putting a man door on either side and a roll-up/overhead door on the end.

Comment

I have a 40x60 shop at home, and I have a 60x140 shop at work. Always problems with the roll up doors, seldem issues with overhead doors.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with garage type sectional doors. I had rollups before and didn't care for them. I'm liking the sectioned ones.

Comment

I have a 30x40x10 with 3-9' insulated doors and 2 walk doors. 2 of the insulated doors are in line for a breeze, to pull all the way through, or to shoot out of when kids and I are slinging arrows. Only 2 things i would change on my setup; wish it was a 40x60 or larger and I should have gone with 12' side walls and 10' doors. Money dictates all

I also got the door tracks at the same angle as the roof so they stay pretty close to the roof. I hung my lights on the tracks so they are never covered by the doors.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by crash519; 05-13-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I have 40x50 shop and have three roll up doors 2- doors 12' tall and 1- 10' tall. Have had the shop for about 15 years now and open my roll up doors a lot. I struggled with this same decision when I had my shop built but decided to go with roll up doors even though other types of doors would be cheaper to install. I am glad that I went with roll ups, no issues at all with any of my roll up doors.

Comment

Working...
                              X