Hog hunting and moon phases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog hunting and moon phases

I came across this website which gives you the phases of the moon.

The crescent Moon will squeak past the bright star Aldebaran early tomorrow. They will be separated by just a degree or two as they climb into view a

Most hog/deer hunters believe that full moons are not a great time to hog hunt because they move very late and not for very long. New Moons are best to hunt hogs as they will move in the late afternoon and most of the night. I hunt mostly public land and never could tell but some of you on leases/ranches might have something to say.
    I would love to hear other people's experiences.

My favorite and most productive time to hunt hogs is during the full moon ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!! ON March 2/3/4th we will be out sticking pigs under the full moon!! Best time to hunt the piggies!

Comment

Ill be hunting during the full moon at the beginning of March in south Texas. Hunted south Texas last year during the full moon and had a blast and saw hogs all night long.

Comment

Well, if you are stalking at night and it is not a full moon you may end up shooting a dead hog

I have never hunted hogs at night. Always had good luck during the evening.
        Jeff Young

Comment

From what you guys posted seems to me that it is true that hogs move better on a full moon night.

Comment

Hogs like moomlit nights. They don't have "night vision" like whitetails.

Comment

There's an old saying something like "During the dark of the Moon deer walk at noon" I put an Axis in the cooler at noon today. I'm seeing pigs at all hours of the night on trailcam but noticed more in daylight during this dark phase of the moon. A yellow sow was out at 2pm yesterday. A big boar was out at 8:30 am the day before: which are examples that I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by holdem View Post
                There's an old saying something like "During the dark of the Moon deer walk at noon" I put an Axis in the cooler at noon today. I'm seeing pigs at all hours of the night on trailcam but noticed more in daylight during this dark phase of the moon. A yellow sow was out at 2pm yesterday. A big boar was out at 8:30 am the day before: which are examples that I remember.
                Thanks for the info..right now its a new moon and the day time hog sightings by holdem does confirm that hogs move during the day more on new moon nights.

Comment

Just got back from a hog hunt...new move moving during the day!

Comment

I was there whwn a dead pig was shot without a full moon I think that is the best time if you do not want to have to gut what you shoot.

Comment

When I'm rifle hunting, I hunt them during full-moon at night from a deer stand. But for archery, prefer no-moon because the hogs tend to move more during daylight...

Believe a lot also has to due with the heat. During the summer, hogs tend to move right at pm darkness and throughout the night until first light.

I saw a sow and with piglets on Saturday at 10:30am...they were back at same feeder at 5pm...
                      Last edited by rossn2; 02-19-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

i have always seen that full and new moons animals move better at midday and midnight. From1/4-3/4 deer move better from dawn till about 3 hours later and 3 hours until dusk. No scientific proof or studies that is just MO

Comment

Working...
                        X