The Metamorphasis of Deer Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Metamorphasis of Deer Hunting

There has been some good threads lately about this and some threads that have gone terribly bad as well.

I killed my first deer 51 years ago in Mills county with a Marlin 336C 30-30. It was a little 5 point buck and the memory of where he was standing when I first saw him and where he fell is still a vivid memory.

There were no feeders or food plots, no game cameras, our tree stands were 2x4 steps nailed to a tree and a 2x6 "seat" wedged and nailed in a fork of the tree. We camped in the back of a 1949 Willy's Jeep Wagon. That lease cost me and my brother $100.00 each. He paid the lease. He was 25 and had graduated from SMU and I was 14 and working for free in our family's grocery store. We had some awesome times hunting together.

We did not have lease managers. We did not have "target bucks". We did have to get permission to kill a deer after much debate about its age or score. If we saw a deer we wanted we killed it. We took it back to camp and everyone celebrated. It was some of the greatest times ever.

When I was financially able I bought my own ground in the middle of nowhere Iowa in order to get back to the joy I had hunting when I was a teenager. I don't have to answer to anyone except God, the Iowa DNR, and my wife as far as my hunting goes. I can walk out my back door and I can shoot whatever I want to shoot as long as its in season and I have proper tags for it. With that being said I will always try to kill only mature bucks. I really don't want to kill my resident does, but I have plenty of neighbors that are farmers that want and need does killed.

I stole this, but man is it right on the money!!!

Hunt your way and allow others to hunt theirs !!

Deer hunting 50 years ago

Hunter shoots 1.5 year old 6 point. Celebrates with family and friends! Good times are had by all.
    Everyone enjoys back strap while hearing how it went down!

Deer hunting today.

Hunter shoots 4.5 year old 12 pointer. Posts to social media.

Questions and statements commence.
    What's he score ?
    Looks like your shot was a little back.
    Do you think you should of given him another year ?
    What broadhead were you using?
    Oh man those head are junk. Why weren't you using a Rage?
    Was that your only "target buck"?
    Did your lease members give you permission to shoot that deer?

Can we all take a moment to just realize that we as hunters, are the only group people that are able and willing to support and fight for our right to do what we love! If someone legally and ethically harvested a deer, whether be doe, a spike, a 1.5 year old 6 point, or a 160" buck, then by all means that's their choice!

We're human, we will make mistakes, we will make a bad shot, we may not find a deer. So long as a person exhaust all efforts to recover them then that's all that should matter.

Good luck to everyone on the rest of their season. Remember if it gets you excited and its a legal animal cut that arrow loose or squeeze that trigger !! Happy hunting !!!
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM.

AMEN!!!! So true AND Sad about nowadays.

Comment

Amen!!!

Comment

Amen

Comment

Ill go along with that

Comment

Amen brother!! Would like to turn back time and live in a simpler time. Good luck to all for the rest of the season and b careful all

Comment

👏👏👏👍😉👍👏👏👏

Comment

i have been saying it for many years now, it is no longer about hunting, it is about bragging rights,,,,,, i am just as happy with a doe or spike now as i was 50 years ago,,, a buddy and i hunted a small place for a few years and agreed not to kill the monster buck we both had seen... that place now has lots of good bucks because we left the good genetics alone and shot does and small bucks without ever damaging the herd

Comment

amen to that. personally i wish social media in a lot of ways would disappear. I too can remember my first buck and I was ecstatic that he was a little 4 point.

Comment

how do I get a read receipt sent to some people?

Comment

I miss those deer camps also

Comment

Awesome post! My thoughts exactly. I think this is the only way to encourage hunter recruitment.

Comment

I'd like to go back to the days before trail cameras and trophy hunting.. when I was a kid we went out hoping to see a deer to shoot.. now with trail cams I find myself sitting home because theres nothing on camera.. in fact I paid for a lease this year and hunted 2 days out there.. the rest of my time has been spent on public land where I dont know what's gonna pass by.. trophy hunting and fishing have over influenced game laws imo..

Comment

Great post! I don’t judge other people’s deer, but find myself second guessing the deer I shoot sometimes. Reading that took me back, and reminded me of my first deer harvest. Thanks for posting

Comment

Alot of these problems stem from people giving a **** what people say on an internet forum or social media.

If you don't care what other people think, it is just as good as it ever was.

Comment

Working...
                              X