• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    This is your answer
    Yup, look at the outback also.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      They rip around snowy states in FWD all the time. FWD will be fine.

However, if she wants to crash, she will find a way. Not gonna matter which wheels are moving the car. I lived in Houghton MI for 5 years, and most of my roommates had FWD cars. We would have 12" of snow and they were just fine.

I've also lived in Amarillo, and for the one or two days a year it ices, there is no car that will get a person around safely. AWD will get a car moving, but it won't stop the car, and without rally driver skills it also won't turn the car, and the smart thing is to not need to get anywhere that day LOL
      This. AWD doesn't stop or turn a car for you. As infrequently as it snows in Lubbock I wouldn't make winter weather driveability a concern. With your daughters driving record I would make crash safety #1 on the list.

Comment

Had a 2wd '90's Ford half ton pickup when I lived there. Manual trans. I made it out alive.

Comment

Grew up in Lubbock I survived in a 2wd truck I would say anything FWD will be fine just learn to take it slow and not get in a hurry also go over how to react in a slide situation. On ice especially it’s much more how you drive than what.

Also make sure she is aware not to drive into high water Lubbock is so flat it floods bad nothing will ruin one quicker than burying it in water.

Comment

A simple FWD Camry will work...good gas mileage, low insurance, safe & will run forever

Comment

The FJ is superior to any Subaru product. Are you sure spinning out on the road is a vehicle problem?

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                The FJ is superior to any Subaru product. Are you sure spinning out on the road is a vehicle problem?

I would argue that a 2wd FJ is not superior to any Subaru for what he wants. And that’s coming from a diehard Toyota fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you should buy an Acura RDX or similar.

Comment

Just my experience,

A Front wheel drive with chain on tires is good. 99% of folks living in the frigid states don't have 4x4, because it doesn't help with ice and snow too much, just teach her how to put chain on tires if she's going to be somewhere the ice and snow are really that bad, it's not hard to put chain on tires.

If you have to, buy 4x4 over AWD. AWDs are more expensive and also more expensive to repair, also they tend to have more front end, suspension and other problems down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                      I found a super clean used Acura RDX in AWD

Thx all
                      Great choice. Just tell her the very few days it snows in Lubbock the loop and ANY elevated roads are off limits. I’ll pm you my number. Tell her if she absolutely needs to go somewhere in Lubbock on those days to call me. I’ll give her a ride. I will be out checking on the restaurant anyway.

Comment

My son just bought a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek and loves it. We looked around for a month before we found on in Austin. They are very common in the mountains and snowy areas. Their AWD is bullet proof.

Comment

Working...
                        X