No announcement yet.

Neighbor Hunting Agreements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoy your property - get to know your Neighbors and be Neighborly ... I don't know anyone that has land/property that wants to be educated on what to do with their land.

Comment

Just manage your property the way you as the owner sees fit. Let the other property owners manage their property as they see fit.

Comment

I don’t think I’d be to neighborly with the guy from Katy who owns 50 acres next to me for shootin and ATVing coming over to educate me on deer management. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
          We've been fortunate that at least one neighbor was conservation minded and together we've started to influence our other neighbors. It took a couple of years for our family to be accepted by the other established landowners and we've worked towards building friendships.

Change has to start somewhere.

Set your expectations low so the letdown won't be as painful.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny44 View Post
            managing for what is the question. Animals seem to be managing themselves just fine especially if you are just a yearling meat hunter.

Some folk couldn’t care less about trophies.
            true

Comment

Bought two different places in the last 10 years under 100 acres. I just made sure my neighbor properties were much, much larger and I had permanent water. Run feeders year 'round and that keeps enough on my property to feed a small army.

Comment

My only thought is that “ATVing” and deer management don’t belong in the same sentence on 50 acre tracts.

Comment

If you are on a lease and one gun is hunting 3-400 acres and you move to a situation where it is one gun (probably more) per 50 acres than imagine a 4k acre lease with well over 100 guns on it. There just isnt a scenario where you can properly manage that unless a lot of your neighbors are not hunting. It could be done but basically you would have to get around 100 neighbors to stop hunting for 4 years to get maturity built up. Then due to population density per acre of that area the majority of hunters would have to agree to not take any deer at all most years so that only mature bucks are harvested. a 4k area is not going to produce year to year 100 plus mature bucks. 40 acres per buck is just not going to happen with free range wild deer.

If you are going to have small acreage you need a feeder source for animals. State and National Forests, 2-5 acre tract neighborhoods, golf courses, and major water ways. Buy along this or forget about mature deer.

Comment

Waste of time IMO. What somebody says and what they actually do are 2 very different things. As somebody said above, don’t hurt to ask, But I still say it’s a waste of time. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not saying your intentions are not good, but the optics of some guy from Katy buying 50 acres next to me to shoot and ATV around on all off-season, then trying to talk about deer management is not great. I don't think you intend to have a condescending tone so many of the comments you are getting here may be unwarranted. My best advice would be to get to know your neighbors and what their hunting goals are. If you think that can mesh with yours then great. If not just communicate what you intend to do and hope they join in with your vision at some point. We have a neighbor with completely different goals but we maintain a great relationship regardless. Over the years he has adopted some of our mindset.

All that being said, 50-100 acres is nearly impossible to manage unless you have large neighbors doing the same. Good luck and just try to have realistic expectations with whatever land you buy. Good luck.

Comment

You could try to get them to join a management Coop, but unless every property around you is on board its basically futile. We have neighbors that "agree" to only take mature bucks, but when a 140" 3 or 4 year old jumps the fence they lose their minds and can't pull the trigger fast enough. We still get a few that make it every year, so I can't complain too much, but I'd love to see what it would be like if they all made it to maturity.

Comment

I think it’s an absolutely great idea. If you’re my neighbor stop by one weekend and we can go over what I will allow you to shoot, what you need to feed and acceptable times for you to ride atvs and do some plinking.

Comment

Ive tried more than once with zero luck. People have their own ideas and are going to do what they want. My neighbors consist of "i aint never shot a doe in my life", "we come up at thanksgiving and christmas and "manage" to get a few", "we shoot anything outside the ears", and "screw them antler restrictions, I dont shoot nothing unless its a B&C or one of those "messed up bucks". I'm thinking the last guy is the culprit to why we have nothing but a ton of generic 8 points. People will rationalize whatever is needed to do what the want.

Comment

You mean Supremacist will “rationalize” their methods are more “enlightened” than others.

Come on man !

Comment

I have 130 acres. My neighbors have about the same with a few much larger tracts. We are behind a gate and are all friends.
                                We got with one another and have about 80% on board with a good program. It's worked out great.

Had 3 axis show up, and now it's around 50 a few years later. We all agree to let them walk for a few years. So it can work. Most land owners want what's best for the herd and property from what I can see.

Comment

Working...
                                X