How many dead Axis have you seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many dead Axis have you seen?

Keep hearing reports Axis did not handle the freeze well. What have yall seen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Sitting in a stand in Stonewall right now. Dead axis every 100 yards. They got hit hard here. Scavengers are going to eat good for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wondering myself

Going to go out to our place soon to start feeding, probably not until April. Rancher said he didn't see a lot of vulture circling on his place, hoping the same for ours. If so, hopefully the smell will be gone by then. Only time I'm glad for cedars if it provided enough cover, 3 bordering places full of cedar. Also have long draw with dry creek that is out of the wind, jumped axis before hiding down in it when the wind was over 40

Comment

We were at our lease close to roosevelt last week, only saw 2 dead. Talking to people at store, some people were reporting a lot and some very few. not sure why the differences, we saw plenty that made it

Comment

Seems like many I’ve found on our place are either does with young fawns or bucks in velvet. Maybe the fact they were in velvet with blood flowing through the antlers cooled them down more than others...?

Comment

Hard horn too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m leaving the lease in Comfort right now. Came up to fill feeders, check on camper, etc.. I saw, and I really looked, zero dead ones on the lease. The 5 miles from I-10 to the lease gate I probably saw six dead ones

Pulling out of the ranch this morning, I did see a small herd of 8-10 animals grazing

Comment

Comment

Stonewall low fence also, found 6-7 dead ones. All appeared to be young ones. Small bucks & young does. Still saw over 30 out & around, so some didn’t make it, but a lot of them did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Found 1 axis and 4 whitetails on our place. Seen @10 axis grazing since the freeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2 axis fawns, we fed and have decent cover crops and cover from wind

Comment

I have about 17 across 100 acres. Frankly, the area needed some Axis trimming.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a dead hog, didn't see anything else dead. Saw other hogs even some real small ones that seemed fine. Anyone else see any hogs that didn't make it?

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                            Found a dead hog, didn't see anything else dead. Saw other hogs even some real small ones that seemed fine. Anyone else see any hogs that didn't make it?
                            We found two shoats dead in the middle of a field.

Comment

Only the ones we are shooting.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X