Equipment ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment ???

I bought a few years ago a 45# Kodiak Magnum Recurve. It came with a set of Cabela's 55-70 carbon arrows. Last year I had them cut down to 28 1/2". I am shooting 125 grain Muzzy Phantom SC broad heads. When I draw back I make sure the back of the broad head almost touches the riser. This is another way I know I have come to full draw. I stuck a doe Saturday but didn't think I got enough penetration. The blood trail was amazing but did not find the deer. the shot looked like it was good just lacking penetration. My question is there enough kinetic energy with my set up to take down a deer? I have now lost confidence in my set up.

Need your draw draw length but honestly I think you are probably light up front unless using insert weights.

Gary

Comment

Those shafts weigh 8.4 grains per inch so your arrows probably only weigh about 365 grains. I would go heavier - up to at least 10 grains per pound of draw weight, or 450 total
      Last edited by jerp; 11-04-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Equipment ???

Your bow is plenty for deer. Shooting with no sights is a game of inches, and it sounds like you may have been a few inches off, or maybe caught a leg bone just right. Also, I don’t know what type of tuning you have done, but if you had a good flying arrow, and you arbitrarily cut it off without retuning, it will likely not be close to in tune, and that will hurt penetration also.

[emoji90] happens sometimes, and it always sucks when it happens to you.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just re-read the OP. 55-70 should be .400 spine(or close to it). If you cut those off to 28.5”, and only have 125gr up front, they are going to be waaaaaaaaaaay too stiff and out of tune!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            I just re-read the OP. 55-70 should be .400 spine(or close to it). If you cut those off to 28.5”, and only have 125gr up front, they are going to be waaaaaaaaaaay too stiff and out of tune!

Bisch

That is what I thought my self. Would adding a heavier broad head help? I tried to look up what type of arrows would be best for the bow and poundage but couldn't find any good info.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Need your draw draw length but honestly I think you are probably light up front unless using insert weights.

Gary
              my compound draw length is 29" set up. The recurve is 28"

Comment

I don’t think you want to add enough weight to tune 400’s that short to a 45 pound bow!! Get some 500 and leave full length and tune from there. You’ll probably be surprised just how much weight you will need for 500’s at full length.

Comment

225 up front might do it. 100gn steel broadhead adapter in glue on 125 2 blade worth a try

Comment

Bisch is right your set-up is very stiff. Options are listed above, so go with what is easiest to attain.

Comment

Equipment ???

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
                      my compound draw length is 29" set up. The recurve is 28"

I also think you are a bit confused on trad bow draw length (if I’m reading your post correctly). The recurve is not 28” just because it says 45@28 on it. On a trad bow, the DL is whatever you draw it to. The poundage will be more or less than what is marked on the bow depending on whether your DL is more or less than 28”.

To make those short .400’s work, you are going to have to have a LOT of weight up front, like probably 300gr or more. It might be best to start with a full length .500 spine shaft with around 200gr up front and go from there.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                      X