High shoulder shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High shoulder shot?

Who takes this shot when rifle hunting? Has it always been a DRT kill for you? Is the idea to sever the spine and break both shoulders?

I unintentionally made a shot similar to this last week. I misjudged the range and hit a doe too high with a 223. (Going for a traditional heart/lung shot). She immediately went down in some tall weeds, and I thought she was dead on impact. Half an hour later I climbed down and found she was very much alive and needed a follow-up shot.

Upon field dressing I found her spine was nearly severed (upper half) right above the shoulder. I figure an impact an inch or two lower would have been a perfect “high shoulder shot.” Granted I was using a 223, and didn’t break any shoulder bones. But if an impact an inch or two away from “perfect” didn’t kill the deer, I doubt I’ll ever try for a shot like this. It was a good learning experience.
    Last edited by 30-30; 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM.

4 for 4 on high shoulder shots. One of the deer managed to lunge one step. The two does and spike died instantly. 180 lb buck dropped and was dead within two minutes. It’s a DRT shot, especially with a bigger caliber, and great for areas where the tracking is tough. This is the shot I now take when I have the opportunity

Comment

Not me. Ive made that shot unintentionally to many times. Not a good blood trail in my experience if the spine is not hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve started doing this. I’m not much of a tracker so it’s my preferred method now. It’s not an instant kill I’ve noticed. Takes a minute or two for them to bleed out but at least they can’t run. You do lose a little bit of shoulder meat however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s where I hit the doe. She barely bled a drop, but thankfully didn’t move more than a few feet from where she fell.
          Attached Files

Comment

Shouldn't need a blood trail with this shot. Properly placed it anchors deer right where they stand.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              Here’s where I hit the doe. She barely bled a drop, but thankfully didn’t move more than a few feet from where she fell.
              I hit my buck here last week, it was like I turned the light switch off. This was a 7mm mag though.first time for me shooting there but I wanted the cape.
              Tyler

Comment

Only high shoulder shot I like to take is on nilgai. But if shooting a smaller caliber like a 223 I can see where a high shoulder shot would be effective for getting a deer down out to maybe 200 yds. Have seen many cases like you have described where the animal takes too long to die. A neck shot usually works better. No follow up required.

Comment

Straight up the front leg, top of the shoulder. DRT every single time.

Comment

I usually try and aim a couple of inches below that red circle. Kinda right at the top of the shoulder blade where that socket is.

To the OP, I had the exact same thing happen to me on a doe 2 years ago. I was going for that high shoulder shot, but I yanked it a little high. She dropped, but when I looked at her through my binos, she looked perfectly alive. Just laying there paralyzed. I had to put another round in her as well.

Comment

I have not practiced this shot. I usually aim for the heart or double lung. 50 yards is max they usually go.

Comment

My son hit this shot perfectly Tuesday on a mature buck and his butt the ground and head flew back, about 75 yards with a 120g Barnes in his 7mm08 . The buck dropped like a rock but laid there moving and trying to get up for several minutes so we put another shot in him.

It took me a while to finally find the original entrance and exit and they both looked the exact same, the bullet did not expand inside the deer. There was hardly any blood trickling out.

I like that high shoulder shot and we will keep shooting it, but we will be looking for a better bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by TKP1991 View Post
                          I hit my buck here last week, it was like I turned the light switch off. This was a 7mm mag though.first time for me shooting there but I wanted the cape.
                          Tyler
                          I use the 7mm Rem Mag and it's lights out.

Comment

Comment

If the deer I shoot are farther than I feel comfortable with a neck shot, I have started shooting high shoulder. Every one has been DRT. Even a 150# boar at 200 plus yards. I usually try to earhole pigs, but he took a step.
                              I was a behind the shoulder heart lung shooter forever. Left a good blood trail, but I was tired of trailing through thick brush and having to drag them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X