Feeder Pen Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Leave them at 4'. The deer will jump in with no problem.
    ^This^ If for some reason they don’t (I’ll bet money they do) then you v CB oils make a few cut outs. No reason going to a lot of trouble you don’t need to.

Comment

Props to OP for typing pens and not pins!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        ^This^ If for some reason they don’t (I’ll bet money they do) then you v CB oils make a few cut outs. No reason going to a lot of trouble you don’t need to.
        edit: I have no idea where "you v CB oils" came from. It was supposed to be "you can make a few cut outs".

Comment

edit: I have no idea where "you v CB oils" came from. It was supposed to be "you can make a few cut outs".

That definitely clears up the confusion lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
            Props to OP for typing pens and not pins!

Every once I a while I do something right ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have to use 4’ panels due to having goats on our place at times. The deer will jump over the 4’ panels but your pen needs to be 60’ or bigger in diameter. A couple guys on the lease have smaller pens like 30 to 40’ in diameter and they complain that they see less deer when their pens are closed. Mine are 60’ and I see about the same traffic minus the fawns.

Comment

Thanks for that edit. I was wondering what the heck CB oils were

Comment

how high to keep cows out, big cows?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                    I believe Texas A&M did a research study and identified 34" as being ideal. Search google or you tube. It's on there.
                    It needs to be low enough for fawns to get into the pen if we are talking protein.

Comment

leave them 4' and cut some lanes to jump through. I cut a 3 squares from the top and 4 laterally around the pen. I usually cut one in front by my sons rifle stand and one by my bow stand to funnel them in front to shoot when they leave or come in to jump. If they dont care about it they will just jump it.

Comment

Put a gravity feeder outside the pen for the fawns with protein. I have 2 on each pen. this will also promote deer to eat outside the pen for a better shot at the vitals.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                          It needs to be low enough for fawns to get into the pen if we are talking protein.

If you have a protein feeder a fawn can reach. It don't take them very long to learn how to jump.

Comment

Just cut them down to 34-36 inches in about 4 places, or you could cut them in half and then run a strand or two of barbed wire around the top.

Comment

30" is what I cut them to. Fawns still don't jump them very often, but that may have more to do with the fact that they know their moms & dads get mad at them.

Comment

I have one that I cut 5 ft panels in half and ran 2 strands of barb wire around and one that is 2 acres that I have 48 in netting fence wire. Both of them work fine. I think the higher they are bigger the pen needs to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X