No announcement yet.

Beef fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A well known sausage maker here in east TX uses only beef fat, no pork. Have used them and their sausage was not bad, I just prefer a different seasoning mix. The texture and juiciness was good tho.

Comment

Do y’all use trimmed brisket?

Comment

I've always used good beef fat/brisket trimmings and it is always great. We like ours a little leaner so I mix it 90/10.

Comment

Beef fat or brisket, 10 % on the fat or 30 % on the brisket, good stuff.

Comment

I use brisket if I am grinding for burger, using on large untrimmed packer style brisket to about 20-25 lbs of venison. I don't like beef fat for link sausage as it can make it too greasy in my opinion. I did make some snack sticks last year and made them pretty lean and they turned out great. If your grinding yourself, make sure the beef fat is very cold (nearly frozen) as it grinds much better and doesn't stick to your grinder nearly as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              I have been going 100% deer for the last 5 years. It's great. No reason to mix store bought hormone injected meat with your wild game. I even make hamburgers with it and everyone loves them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              Exactly.

Comment

I shoot for 60/40 packer brisket minimal trimming on brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all. Think we may try it with brisket this year.

Comment

I grind up bacon bits and pieces and mix it in....

Comment

Biggest fattest brisket you can find on sale. Mix at least 40% brisket.
                      Nobody will ever know it aint deer if the deer is processed right in the field.

Comment

I prefer straight deer grind. I have added pork and bacon ends for burger grind, but I stay 100% deer typically. I have my own personal opinions and everyone is different on their tastes. If you use beef fat the preferred fat is kidney fat. The regular beef talon is hard and will not cook out. Just trail and error to suit your taste. Good luck.

Comment

Have done pork butts in the past and the last batch did 85/15 with beef fat.

No complaints here and much cheaper to do.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey2 View Post
                            Just curious if anyone uses beef fat when you grind. We've always used pork butt thinking about trying beef. If you've used it how'd it turn out? Thanks Mike
                            I buy cheap briskets when HEB has a sale and mix them in ~30% to 70% venison for my burger meat

Comment

I call my HEB early in the morning right after they open and ask for beef fat. Usually they'll always have some.

I do 10% straight beef fat.

Comment

I just made 40lbs of burger this past Saturday. 50% venison / 50% brisket. I trimmed the deckle and outer most discolored fat off the briskets. Left everything else in the mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X