Muzzle brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle brakes

Getting a Bergara .300 win mag and never had a muzzle brake. What good ones are out there for what I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The little B@stard brake is hard to beat.

Comment

I like Precision Arms.

Comment

Vais not sure of spelling is amazing on my 7 Mag

Comment

Vais

Comment

for the guys that used Vais, did you just buy one of their breaks and have it put on or did you send them your gun and have them build you one for your rifle?

Comment

This post summarizes the results for the recoil tests ran on 20+ muzzle brakes using two 30 caliber test rifles: the 308 Win and the monster 300 Norma Magnum. The recoil data was collected using high-speed, high-resolution force sensors. For more info on the test equipment and how the data was gathered, please see the ...

These guy have done some good studies and have some good data on stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  for the guys that used Vais, did you just buy one of their breaks and have it put on or did you send them your gun and have them build you one for your rifle?
                  I took my gun to my gunsmith and told him I wanted it put on.

Comment

I like Harrell's 3 and 4 ports but your barrel will have to be pulled so it can be timed and turned down to match contour and bored .020-.030 over bullet size. I don't prefer the brakes that have holes all the way around as the blast blown downward can throw dust and debris back up into your barrel/crown if you're down on the ground.
                    Last edited by kck; 11-01-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

What exactly does having a brake timed mean? Forgive my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                        It means machining the brake so that it is turned the right way. For example, if your brake has side ports then you want them in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

Comment

APA Little *******.
                          My 300 win has very little recoil.

Comment

Holland
                            Vias
                            Shrewd
                            WTO
                            Alamo four star

All good brakes. Beware of the ones with ports on the bottom. They work very well. I have some. You will get dirt all up in your face laying prone lol.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                              Timing is the alignment of the brake to the barrel. Brakes with side holes/ports need to "timed" so that when tightened the holes/ports are facing left and right to the axis of the bore. this allows the pressure to be diverted sideways helping the firearm being pushed backwards. To time you simply remove material from the shoulder of the barrel or from the rear face of the brake itself. There is a formula for this using thread pitch and degrees to take off thousandths of an inch.

Brakes with holes around the entire surface do not need to be timed as the gas and pressure exit equally around it. In my experience they are more effective than the gill or side ported models but like already stated they kick up debris when fired prone or even off a bench top.

I have made a few of each type and all work at reducing recoil. Just remember that while the pressure and gases are redirected so is the noise produced will be much louder.

Here are a couple pictures of a brake I made for a 6.5x284. One before the rifle fires and the other afterwards.

You can see the bullet exiting just right of the muzzle.

Here is a 22-250 I built for my youngest daughter using a brake with side ports. I copied a Holland. There is zero felt recoil on this rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X