Big 6 down!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 6 down!!

I haven’t had a deer lease for several years. Hadn’t had time or the desire as we have a piece of family land in Mason to hunt but there’s not many decent deer on it. I got the invite to join a good ranch with a great group of guys and I jumped on it. The work started in January. Setting up feeders and blinds and throwing feed. Had a lot of great deer showing up. Everybody decided to focus on culls for the year. They had some history with an ancient cull buck. Seemed to be a ghost. I had him on camera all summer.

I had to work the first week of bow season. Then the rain started. Tons of rain. Tons of acorns. Bow season was tough. Very few deer seen. I killed a pig and that’s it. The spot this deer came to is hard to hunt. They bed on a ridge at night and you have to walk right by it to get into the set up. We hunted the first morning of gun season there. Didn’t see much. Slow morning. The next evening I hunted another stand for a different wind down south. Saw a lot of deer but not many at the feeder. Another target buck showed himself on a ridge but offered no shot. Very frustrating. I decided to change it up Sunday morning as the wind had changed from the north. So I headed back up to my north blind. I walked in the last 8-900 yards. No lights. Very slow. On the walk in I heard two bucks fighting hard on the ridge. It just felt like a good morning. I had deer in front of me as the sun started to break. Several younger deer that weren’t on the hit list. Then the big 6 popped out. Walking like a grandpa lol. I immediately ignored all the other deer as they kept pouring in. It was too dark to shoot still and as it got lighter he was in the right side of my pen by the corn feeder. You cannot shoot through the pen as there is chicken wire over the panels to keep the stupid goats from getting stuck. 45 minutes goes by. I’ve got my rifle on him watching every move waiting for him to jump out. He starts walking left towards my protein feeder. That part of the pen is old and was already there when I joined. It has no chicken wire. Just smaller net wire. I decided to try to thread one through there. He turned hard quartering away. I went into autopilot with all my Adrenalin going. He stopped and I let the 7 mag eat. He immediately dropped. Finally!! I was on the board with a heck of a good cull buck. Ancient deer that has given everybody the slip for awhile. Walking up to him was great. He had already broke his g2 on his left side pretty good. Just adds character to a cull lol. Great way to start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid phone. Can a mod move this to ATC? Please

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wish I was closer.

Great buck. Congrats.

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats

Comment

That is one cool buck!!

Comment

Cash price?

Comment

Trades?

Comment

Thats a unique one for sure! Shoulder, euro????

Comment

Cool buck. Congratulations.

Comment

Great trophy cull.....congratulations

Comment

I will give you a hunert bucks fer the gun you shot him with!

Comment

Nice! Did you happen to have him on a trailer with a golf cart driving from mason to llano yesterday after lunch?

Comment

Good deal

Comment

Originally posted by Rsp View Post
                              Nice! Did you happen to have him on a trailer with a golf cart driving from mason to llano yesterday after lunch?
                              That was me!!

Comment

Working...
                              X