Help with drainage and washout on creek crossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with drainage and washout on creek crossing

OK, 10 years ago I put in a crossing of a spring creek (dry most the time) with a big PVC Pipe and 3 pickup truckloads of small kaleche rock. That lasted a while. Then 3 years ago I had Rios trucking come out, they put in an 18” culvert. Reworked the road with a skid steer, and 3 dump truck loads of road base. Lasted 2 years, and then washed out…. Had come back out last summer, rework… lasted through this deer season, but just washed back out bad!
    Problem is where creek crosses road (south Hickory Loop) at bottom of south end of my land is a low spot that also only has an 18” culvert and drains real slow. So, the whole creek backs up and kind of “whirlpools” at my crossing…. Causing significant erosion. Also, creek meanders a whole lot which I am sure doesn’t help.
    See picture…
    When it is just a “normal” rain everything works fine, it is when we get those extended rains and the ground gets saturated that it backs up. I have seen it down pouring in the morning where the water is too high to cross in the morning, then come back out for an afternoon hunt and it has all drained away.
    If there are any experts on here, please tag them!
    Questions:
    My wife thought maybe we could contact some state agency? Soil Conservation? Farm Bureau? Teex Ag extension?? For help on what to do for a more permanent fix without the cost of building a bridge? Has anyone dealt with something similar?
    If I were to build a bridge to support a truck, it would need to be about 30 -40 foot long…. Anyone know of anyone around Calvert that could do it? Rough cost?
    I have been watching the area for old wood power poles to use to build bridge… anyone know how to find out when / where these are replaced?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

U need larger rock in my opinion
    Use some 3-5 inch bull rock limestone it will last a while and drains well

Comment

You ever thought about pouring concrete in the bottom of the creek. I did mine over 20 years ago and it has survived any amount of water that goes down the creek. The neighbor next door had 2, 6 foot culverts in the same creek and they kept getting washed out, guess what, he poured concrete in the bottom of the creek and no more problems.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
        You ever thought about pouring concrete in the bottom of the creek. I did mine over 20 years ago and it has survived any amount of water that goes down the creek. The neighbor next door had 2, 6 foot culverts in the same creek and they kept getting washed out, guess what, he poured concrete in the bottom of the creek and no more problems.
        A low water crossing is probably your best bet. You can pour it with concrete as he ^^^^^^ suggests or undercut the creek and fill back with rock. Either way beats culverts in your situation I think.

Comment

Im liking the advice!
          So pouring concrete, so did y'all set forms?

Comment

I have two 72" culverts and they work, but if I had it to do over I think I might have gone with several 24" culverts poured in concrete low water crossing.

Comment

How thick did you pour this concrete? Forms? I having a hard time imagining it, seems like it would just run down the bank???

Comment

Lots of power poles on craigs list and Facebook market place.

Comment

Formed everything with 2x4s and used cattle panels for the wire.I have 3-5 inch rock on the sloped road to the concrete crossing. Over the years I have spread concrete on the down stream side to prevent erosion. We did all this work with 2 mixers and 4 pallets of concrete from Sutherlands, back when sakcrete was .99 per bag. Take a trip to the hill country and all the water crossings are poured in the bottom of the creeks.

Comment

Formed everything with 2x4s and used cattle panels for the wire.I have 3-5 inch rock on the sloped road to the concrete crossing. Over the years I have spread concrete on the down stream side to prevent erosion. We did all this work with 2 mixers and 4 pallets of concrete from Sutherlands, back when sakcrete was .99 per bag. Take a trip to the hill country and all the water crossings are poured in the bottom of the creeks.
                    Thanks! Great advice..... I am leaning toward this idea! Maybe with the idea of adding four 24" culverts....

Comment

So, does anyone think it's a bad idea to combine a low water concrete crossing with 3-4 of 18 inch culverts ? Something like in this video between 1:37 and 4:30 ???
                      Last edited by redsnapper101; 02-23-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

bump for last question

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapper101 View Post
                          So, does anyone think it's a bad idea to combine a low water concrete crossing with 3-4 of 18 inch culverts ? Something like in this video between 1:37 and 4:30 ???
                          https://youtu.be/EbANEA_w9ek
                          Depends on the amount of water flow. I hunted a place years ago, the property owner finally concreted the low water crossing. It was a huge improvement. Than one of those "once in a life time rains", that come around every few years and washed it out.

Comment

Good advise above - I can make your life much easier with a product called geocell rather than forming everything for concrete. Geocell acts as the forms and rebar and would prevent the concrete from running down the slope when you pour. Pm me your email and I can send over info.

Articulated concrete blocks are another great option that would be a long term solution.

Comment

Here’s what I did. Waited till creek was low and had two 36” culverts put on top of a small layer of rip rap. Then more rip rap on sides and top then just some dirt on top. Been doing well for over a year now. I did get some corner wash out but have since filled that in with large (basketball size) rocks. The idea is for it to be a low water crossing. We have had two big rains where the water went over the top and I was able to drive across it once it settled. Pics are before and after. I hired it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X