No announcement yet.

How do you deal with reality checks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t believe in setting myself up for failure. I once had a dog I loved dearly. One day the dog died and it upset me. I told myself I wouldn’t have another dog. If you don’t have a dog it will never die.

Comment

I work for a treasure that is built up someplace else...my retirement plan looks alot different than most causeI know my time here is temporary

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
        I don’t believe in setting myself up for failure. I once had a dog I loved dearly. One day the dog died and it upset me. I told myself I wouldn’t have another dog. If you don’t have a dog it will never die.
        "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all" comes to mind....
        I don't think of it as a failure
        The pain of losing those we loved only reminds us how much we truly loved them. That's a success in my book. I would never trade that away.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve always dreamed of owning land of my own, and it always seemed out of reach. Truth is I never really tried to do anything to make it happen. I finally committed to making that dream a reality and I’ve been feverishly putting money away. Does it come with sacrifice, yes we don’t eat out as much which is fine, I don’t buy frivolous things but it doesn’t mean we still don’t enjoy life. I don’t make 6 figures not close but I try to fix things on my own and save anywhere I can. Everyone I’ve know who had a dream made changes as needed to achieve the dream and had an attainable goal. I’d love to own 1000 acres but reality is 50-100 will have to do for now. You never know until you try, and you kicked down a few times. Each time you get back up just try a different route one will stick.

Comment

Very true. But if you don't have a dog how can you feel happiness that,that dog will bring you?

That applies to a lot of things in life. I surround myself with things that make me happy. I surround myself with people that are better than I am because I believe in order to become a better person you need people that will make you a better person. That beats beings around negative people or people heading in a totally opposite direction in life. And that's what I meant by cutting off relationships with people that bring me down because that doesn't do you any good either. But totally blocking everyone and everything out of your life because you're scared of being hurt isn't the answer. It will only make you bitter and life will be more difficult.

Anyone that's ever loved another person is setting theirself up for failure in a way. Life eventually runs out whether it's on your end or theirs and you're left to pick up the pieces if they go first. I've lost some good people in my life and it hurts me deeply. But I wouldn't trade the time I spent with those people for anything in the world.

Not all that long ago I stood by the person I loved more than anything in the world as she took her last breath. I still love her and miss her every day. But I don't let that control my life. I can either be depressed or I can live my life in a way that would make her proud.
            Last edited by okrattler; 03-06-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I maximize what’s in my control- me, everything else is a variable. When u plan on what you can control things happen.

Comment

Some reality checks are a lot more harsh than others. The reality that a friend will never walk again or that I'll never see a loved one again have been the hardest to accept in my life. Moving forward and accepting these things is the only way I've coped with it. That's all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                  The "we don't have the money" statement is verbalized way too much for me and I'm sick of it.
                  The above statement is where I would focus my attention. Either learn to accept the reality you currently have or change the things that are limiting the reality you want to have. If nothing changes, this statement will ring forever in your ears. If you want something different, you have to have something BE different.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think about what my grandpa told me....."son life is hard, work harder"

Comment

It’s helpful to realize lifestyle creep is a real issue.

More money won’t solve anybody’s problems if they aren’t happy appreciating the little things in life and what they currently have - good health, happy family, roof over their heads, etc. Focusing on those items helps me quite a bit. If somebody thinks money will fix it and make them happy - they’re wrong. More money just creates more problems and most people will just find something else to spend it on.

All of the sudden the 50 acres they own isn’t enough. They want the 300 acres the neighbor has and won’t be happy until they get it. Or their current house suddenly isn’t sufficient because it’s not magazine worthy - they need to go pull a large mortgage to live in a picture perfect house. Learning to be content and appreciate what one has helps a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Others

Comment

Lower your expectations so you’re never disappointed

Comment

It ain’t about money, I can tell you that. How many Brinks trucks do you see at a funeral ?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              I just go fishing. It makes everything better
                              And beer!

Comment

What if your parents, thought the same thing.......??
                                They took a lot larger risk, than you did......
                                But, your correct, if you don't have a dog, it will never die..........
                                But then, you deprive both you, and the dog, of a very special kinda love...
                                You know, "Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved
                                at all"........

Consider this..... Failure, is just God's way of teaching, object lessons...
                                Ha ! when I consider the failures, in my life............
                                I'm amazed, I'm still here.......

The only people, who fail.................
                                Are those, who give up..................

Comment

Working...
                                X