Old Honda Scrambler - Help with ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Honda Scrambler - Help with ID

Picked up an old Honda yesterday - cheap. Will part it out or sell whole, but the first step is figuring out just what it is.

I think it is an early '70s Scrambler/CL 250. The VIN # is there, but a cable has been rubbing against it long enough that I'm not sure all the #s are legible.

In my searching, I found https://silodrome.com/wp-content/upl...amblers-14.jpg.

At the bottom of this is a picture of an orange bike that appears to be a 250- what I have looks like this one. The article shows the picture but doesn't really describe that bike. Beware if you go to that article - lots of pop-ups.

Anyway, a few distinctive features are low, black exhaust pipes (most Scramblers have chrome pipes going out the back at about knee level), fender braces & higher handler bars. Think this model was a little more suited for off-road than other Scramblers.

Anyway, figured somebody here had experience with these & could tell me what it is. I'll try to post a picture if I get time & can figure it out.

Thanks.

I would bet those are worth some decent money. Old ATVs, dirt bikes and small motor cycles, trail bikes, more so Hondas, can be worth a decent amount of money. I have a buddy into bikes like that. I have only learned the old Honda tricycles and the dirt bikes, from the 80s, then 90s dirt bikes.

Comment

Try this.

Look for Honda Motorcycles and Power Equipment Perth? Powerforce Midland Formerly the Honda Shop is your 1 stop shop for all things Honda in Perth!

Comment

The bottom pic with the low exhaust is an SL. They made an SL100, SL125 and a SL250. The top one is a Scrambler.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - the last 2 especially. Having some clue as to what the VIN should look like sure helps-pretty sure it is SL350-1002975, which seems to mean 1970 SL350.

And when I search for that, I get pics of bikes that look just like what I have, although it looks like 70-72 are pretty much the same.

I guess the SL models were not called Scramblers? Did they have another nickname?

Comment

Here ya go.

Comment

I had an SL70 when I was a kid, loved that bike. Would like to have another one now just for the heck of it.
              They were great bikes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, not a bad looking bike. What I have is the blue one.

The good news is the carburetors appear to be worth about 2x what I gave for the bike.

Good mufflers & seats sell for a lot too - except mine aren't good.

The bad news is about every other part for one of these looks pretty easy to find & not worth a lot.

Probably not going to get rich on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                  Yes, not a bad looking bike. What I have is the blue one.

The good news is the carburetors appear to be worth about 2x what I gave for the bike.

Good mufflers & seats sell for a lot too - except mine aren't good.

The bad news is about every other part for one of these looks pretty easy to find & not worth a lot.

Probably not going to get rich on this one!
                  Thanks to youtube and flippers, parts got to be more in demand. China started making decent repops as well, so it is easier to do.

Comment

I've done very well parting out or rebuild/flip '90s to early 2000s 2 stroke dirt bikes. I've done several & average $1000 profit - and that's after paying eBay fees & shipping when parting one out. I much prefer to sell them whole, but many are just too far gone.

I understand this particular niche. It's easy money for some tinkering I don't even mind doing for a hobby.

But get outside that small niche of bikes and you run into so many bikes that just aren't worth much and guys who are trying to make a living doing it.

Comment

I put a lot of miles on a SL125 when I was in junior high. Fun bikes.

Comment

When I was a kid my dad raced cross country on a SL125. He had the motor built to a 145cc. Cool exhaust pipe. And new shocks. It was a cool bike but still no comp for the then new CR 125. He bought a CR in about 74 or 75...man that think was a beast. Could not keep the front wheel on the ground. I raced it a few years in mx. Then got on a new model suzuki RM 125 around 1978...all of a sudden, I could fly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a CR125 I did some MX with as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                            When I was a kid my dad raced cross country on a SL125. He had the motor built to a 145cc. Cool exhaust pipe. And new shocks. It was a cool bike but still no comp for the then new CR 125. He bought a CR in about 74 or 75...man that think was a beast. Could not keep the front wheel on the ground. I raced it a few years in mx. Then got on a new model suzuki RM 125 around 1978...all of a sudden, I could fly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
                            I ran a '74 CR250 back in the day.

Comment

Back in the '60s I ran a BSA Victor Special, single cylinder, 441 cc.

Comment

Working...
                              X