Lab or GSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lab or GSP

Looking for a dog that will be very versatile. Wanting an antler and blood dog that can also find some quail. I have never had a antler or upland dog, but new lease has quail. Wanted to get some opinions on what everyone thinks.

Get a GSP

They’re psycho, but will do anything you want them to do as long as you have the ability to train/control them. Once you can develop that true bond between them, you will be amazed at their ability and desire to please. If you don’t think you’re a strong dog owner, GSP will run all over you lol.

My 8 year old girl in my avatar taught me that lesson real quick when I got her. Now I’ve got 2 and they both keep me on my toes.

Comment

Gsp. Ive got 2 kids and 2 pointers. Its like having 4 bad children who want to be outside and hunt all the time or in the water.

Comment

Grew up with labs, but first dog with my wife is a GSP now 9 years old. His hunting drive is insane. However his energy level is still insane. We live on multiple acres and you just can’t wear the dog out. Be prepared if you are city living as they will wear you out.

Comment

Get both!! Just kidding. A few years ago I picked one up from another TBH member whose GSP had been bred by a lab.

“Spot” (my kids named him) is lab sized with GSP markings. He blood trails and retrieves. He would point if I would have known how to teach him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had labs all my life, but my next dog will be a GSP. They’re incredible dogs when trained properly.

Comment

Labs, no doubt.

Comment

Border Collie. They will pick up their poop, before searching for sheds. Then, put the sheds in bags

Comment

I’ve had both. Get a Lab

Comment

GSP is the one for the job, if you don’t hunt waterfowl a lot. Easy to train, and eager to please. They are fantastic with kids, and make good protectors, inside or out.

Comment

Lab

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        GSP is the one for the job, if you don’t hunt waterfowl a lot. Easy to train, and eager to please. They are fantastic with kids, and make good protectors, inside or out.

This. I grew up on the coast waterfowl hunting almost daily and always had labs, from elementary school until a couple years ago. Love labs but I rarely waterfowl hunt anymore and everyone I hunt with has great labs. Upland hunting is my bird hunting of choice these days and after my last lab was murdered by two pits, I ended up with an Eng Cocksr that we love, will add a gsp when my life settles back down, they are wonderful dogs.

Comment

I am partial to Labs. My son has a Charcoal lab that is smart as a whip. Loves the water and does its jobs well.

Comment

Short answer - a gsp. If you want to hunt wild quail in Texas, a shorthair is tough to beat. Go watch a lab hunt quail in TX for several hours on end and keep a range more than 50 yards in front of you. They don’t exist. They get hot, slow and just can’t cover the ground like a shorthair.

Majority of labs flush vs point. This can be ok for pheasants in SD, but for natural quail habitat in TX - you want a dog that will point and hold birds.

If you’re looking for a GSP to shed hunt too - find a breeder whose dogs do well in NAVHDA. They will have a high prey drive and tracking ability.

Good luck
                            Last edited by gspbrad; 02-12-2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Labs cant take the heat like a Gsp. Gsp cant take the cold like a lab. There are some laid back Labs, I have never seen a laid back Gsp. Really think on what type of hunting you do and then decide on a dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X