Alaska road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska road trip

When I was younger I drove OTR and in my time on the road I managed to go through all 48 states. I crossed over into Canada on 5 different occasions. One time I had a oversize load going to Alaska, it loaded in Laredo and delivered somewhere up there. It was a dump bed like the mining trucks use. The Owner of the truck would not pay the money to have it winterized. I lost that load and my one real chance to drive to Alaska. I had a baby at the house that was scared of me when I got home for the few days here and there I was off. Soon after I left that life and my chances to drive to Alaska. Today I had a customer come in looking for a cargo trailer to move items to Alaska. I had really gave up on the dream to drive there. I am now in my early 50's, kids are gone doing their thing. Empty nesters is not all that bad, much different but getting use to it. I mentioned my idea or a trip to Alaska and wife was like have fun, send pics cuz I aint going. Ya know, I really do not mind this idea of driving alone. For those that have driven, any tips or pointers for such a trip? When the best time to make such a trip? Any must see/things to do? I will be taking my 4x4 crew cab,i have a 39 gallon gravity feed fuel setup when I do this trip.

I've driven up and down alone and with friends/family several times. I drove in the winter, spring, summer and fall. Buy the most recent Milepost.

Alaska's legendary trip planner and travel guide.

You can also put your car on the Ferry in several places.

Comment

Ive done the trip 3 times from Spokane, one in the fall, one in the summer and one in the winter. Each season has its own challenges. Obviously in the winter your're fighting weather in terms of snow and cold(down to -40) and reduced daylight. Summer your're fighting traffic and road construction. But each has its advantages, as well. Winter has less traffic, the roads are better(truly). Summer you have more hotels/gas to choose from but they can be full. As was mentioned above, get a Milepost and pick things you want to see. A couple are Liard Springs, the signpost forest in Watson Lake(bring a sign and put it up). Remember to be respectful at border crossings and have receipts for any purchases(like the trailer) and don't tell them you are getting paid to haul the trailer.
      Take your time, enjoy the ride, plan out your route by miles you want to drive per day and make hotel reservations. I found when I drove up alone I was averaging 600-700 miles a day. When I was with my family it was 300.
      Hugh

Comment

I would absolutely love to do that trip solo. I drive a lot by myself, and thoroughly enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
        X