Training for Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training for Tracking

For those of you that use dogs to track deer after the shot, what are the best ways you have used to train your dog to track them. Not looking to send the pup to some high dollar trainer. I'm more of a DIY kinda guy. Any and all help accepted and appreciated. TIA and God Bless.

I read the book.

Blood, some hot dogs or old meat and a piece of hide on a string. Start short and work your way up

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the book titled tracking dogs for wounded deer if you can find a copy. Read it and fallow what makes sense to your area. If you aren’t able to get the dog on a bunch of real tracks it will be an uphill battle.

Comment

Thanks fellas didn’t know there was such a book. Gonna look into getting it.

Comment

I started my lacy pup on beef liver trails with a treat at the end. Started straight lines 20-30 yards. She's up to about 100-125 yards with one turn.
          I also play hide and seek with her favorite ball or toy in the house and tell her to find it. Hoping to put her on some dead deer this fall.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I keep the liver, heart, hocks and what ever blood I can salvage. I then just make trails for my dog to follow, my dog is three, our practice now consist of me soaking a hock in blood, tying a rope to it and dragging it behind my bicycle, I like to start at one of my feeders to make it as real as possible. Most of the time somewhere on the trail I will untie the hock let it sit while I circle around to make sure she isn’t trailing me, then I circle back re hook the hock and head out, once finished I tie the hock to a tree, head back to the house, load up the dog just like I am going out for real, collar and all, this technique has worked well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
              I keep the liver, heart, hocks and what ever blood I can salvage. I then just make trails for my dog to follow, my dog is three, our practice now consist of me soaking a hock in blood, tying a rope to it and dragging it behind my bicycle, I like to start at one of my feeders to make it as real as possible. Most of the time somewhere on the trail I will untie the hock let it sit while I circle around to make sure she isn’t trailing me, then I circle back re hook the hock and head out, once finished I tie the hock to a tree, head back to the house, load up the dog just like I am going out for real, collar and all, this technique has worked well for me.
              May have to head out to the grasslands and try this. Don’t have a lease to take him to and I live in the city limits. Neighbors may be calling the HOA of I go a blazing a trail of blood through the neighborhood 🤣 ……. On second thought 🤔

Comment

My JRT didn’t need much, a couple trails in the yard with some deer liver at the end. I guess it helps to start with a good tracking breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  My JRT didn’t need much, a couple trails in the yard with some deer liver at the end. I guess it helps to start with a good tracking breed.
                  Well my son just got a Shepadoodle and wants to teach it to track so figured we would give it a whirl.

Comment

What they said plus put the dog on every deer you can. Even dead in tracks deer. He needs to understand the end game.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      What they said plus put the dog on every deer you can. Even dead in tracks deer. He needs to understand the end game.
                      Good idea

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                        May have to head out to the grasslands and try this. Don’t have a lease to take him to and I live in the city limits. Neighbors may be calling the HOA of I go a blazing a trail of blood through the neighborhood [emoji1787] ……. On second thought [emoji848]

If your putting enough blood for your neighbors to see you aren’t pushing your pup.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

Especially dead easy to find deer early on. They have to expect to find a dead deer on every track. Too many dead end track and they get used to giving up easy.

Comment

Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer: John Jeanneney

Comment

Mine it wasnt training the dog it was training me to stay out of the way. Had a Jagd. He knew what he was bred for I guess. As soon as I learn to stay out of his way and that he was there to track and not me it got real easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X