Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animal has the best tasting venison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    Some of the best wild game I've ever had was mountain lion...
    Ya see Paul. Now I would be skeptical of eating a Carnivore. Basically, Humans ONLY eat meat from Herbivores. I know it can be done. But I guess if the Mountain Lion was eating grass fed lamb and sheep. It might be good.

Comment

Roan. Hands down.
      I have had sable , black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, red deer , elk , axis , simintar oryx , Arabian oryx , Manchurian sika , Japanese sika , fallow , blackbuck , nilgia , barasanga , bobcat , gemsbok and kudu. I am sure I am forgetting a few.

Comment

I have had a lot of whitetail over the years, then some axis and a couple of mule deer. The one axis was great and so were the mule deer. I am not sure what happened with the first mule deer, but it was by far the most tender venison or red meat I have ever eaten, it was great. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact the meat was on ice for at least three days. The second mulie was good, but nowhere near as tender as the first.

I have had smoked and canned, elk and moose, when I was very young. I did not like it, they both were very strong flavored. Now days I would probably like that same smoked and canned moose and elk, but I have not gotten the chance to try any, since I was 8 years old. I have had buffalo, that was good stuff.

I also ate some old goat once, years ago.
        Basically my buddy's father had killed numerous pronghorn. The stuff we got to eat was pretty old. It was not that good. They kept saying it's much better, if the meat is not so old. So I really don't know about goats. I think I also tried some aoudad, once, was not crazy about that stuff either. I ate it, but would much rather had whitetail.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-01-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Ya see Paul. Now I would be skeptical of eating a Carnivore. Basically, Humans ONLY eat meat from Herbivores. I know it can be done. But I guess if the Mountain Lion was eating grass fed lamb and sheep. It might be good.
          Ya ever see that vid of the deer eating the bird??

I'm telling ya, it was delicious....fish are carnivores / swine eat meat & probably enjoy carrion more than fresh. I was surprised I still Liked catfish after catching one on smitty's stink bait when I was kid??

Comment

All things being equal in field care and meat preparation.....
            1. Axis
            2. Fallow
            3. Mule Deer
            4. Whitetail

Comment

Beyond Beef.

My favorite plant based meat comes from an animal that eats plants. I don't have the "refined palate" like some of you guys and I haven't really had that much of a variety of venison.

1. Moose
              2. Nilgai
              3. Elk

I had some grilled pronghorn steaks once that were marinaded in some kind of sauce and they were fantastic! That was the only time Ive ever had it and it was probably the marinade that made them so good.

Comment

Nilgai is antelope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hard to believe but some of the best wild game I have ever eaten was Zebra.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    And then you mentioned an antelope.

Pay attention. I didn’t mention it first.

I just was naming what I’ve eaten since Nilgai keeps being posted. I don’t really care for the taste of antelope. Although the bigger the animal the better it taste seems true for them too. Some people prefer it. I am interested in what the majority of people think is the best venison.
                    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-02-2021, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      I’ll play….elephant, followed closely by rhino, hippo slightly in third. Dodo bird was my favorite, kind of hard to find these days along with ivory billed woodpeckers.

That’s funny. At least you stayed on topic.

I bet the tenderized venison backstraps on the ivory billed woodpeckers are delicious.

Comment

Axis then Elk for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Fallow beats axis hands down
                          I agree with this. I love Fallow.

Comment

Out of the venison I’ve tried:

Fallow
                            Axis
                            Mule deer
                            Whitetail

If you want to go beyond just venison, then nilgai would be at the top of that list, followed by red lechwe, then blackbuck would be between mule deer and whitetail.

Comment

Taxonomy aside, my favorite meats from the Ruminant order(?) are elk and axis, although there are still many I’ve yet to try. I’ve had people tell me zebra is delicious as well.

Comment

I think they all great IF they ain't in rut..and Died quick/recovered quick/gutted and gilled quick/cooled down quick/processed and packaged quick .....That hanging in walk in cooler with other game (some gut shot /some half spoiled /some dirty conditions ruins more meat than anything..esp if processor don't get to it for a week or two..

Myself my game is usually kill to freezer in 24h...and always great...The bad tasting (strong tasting some call it gamey) I ever get is meat that someone gives me that was processed at a commercial butcher..and of course it could be the care the body had before it arrived a butcher...

I have a friend that had a deer processing plant (now in Heaven) but he used to say man you wouldn't believe what got brought in today and they wanted processed (every thing from Bloated to Maggots crawling out of ...
                                Some like aged meat and thats OK ..Aged in clean conditions not in same cooler with.... .

Comment

Working...
                                X