No announcement yet.

Headed to Alaska-Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See if there’s any outfits that can take you to the Knik glacier on the 4x4 trails outside of Palmer. May just be locals and not commercial though, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
      Head to Seward, you can do glacier/whale tours there. Plenty of places to hike. Summer dog sledding....Coopers landing you can fish, white water rafting, gold panning. In Homer you can hit the spit, take the Seldovia tour... Bear viewing out of Ninilchik. I live in Soldotna, if you want to PM me with any questions. Should be a great year!
      You didn't recommend Good Time Charlie's

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
        Head to Seward, you can do glacier/whale tours there. Plenty of places to hike. Summer dog sledding....Coopers landing you can fish, white water rafting, gold panning. In Homer you can hit the spit, take the Seldovia tour... Bear viewing out of Ninilchik. I live in Soldotna, if you want to PM me with any questions. Should be a great year!
        Man I love Soldotna! To the OP, you really have most of the suggestions covered already but I’ll add one. Just take a drive and enjoy the sights. It is really an incredible place with a postcard at every turn.

Comment

Have fun?

Comment

Following along. We are going for 9 days the first of July. We don't have an itinerary yet other than flying into Anchorage and spending at least 2 nights McKinley Resort at the entrance to Denali. We know we want to spend a good amount of time on the peninsula and maybe a little time all the way up in Fairbanks to try to see the Northern Lights.

Comment

Plenty to deaux down that way as others have mentioned. Make sure you dont skimp on wet weather gear.........it can make or brake your trip to one of the GREATEST fisheries on earth!

Comment

Go to Seward. Take a whale watching cruise. While your there, try the Italian restaurant The Apollo. Great food. Check out the hardware store, all kinds of stuff in there.
                Denali isn’t too far from Anchorage. We didn’t go all the way but still were able to see it. There is a roadside park with great views and info about Denali.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Following along. We are going for 9 days the first of July. We don't have an itinerary yet other than flying into Anchorage and spending at least 2 nights McKinley Resort at the entrance to Denali. We know we want to spend a good amount of time on the peninsula and maybe a little time all the way up in Fairbanks to try to see the Northern Lights.
                  You won't see the northern lights that time of year....it will be daylight at night.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
                    You won't see the northern lights that time of year....it will be daylight at night.
                    Yea I just read that on the ol googler. The wify ain't gonna be to happy about that. That was one of the things she wanted to do. But hey, maybe that means more time down on the peninsula!!!!!

Dog sledding is another big one on her list. Anyone have a recommendation for that?
                    Last edited by ColinR; 03-15-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      Yea I just read that on the ol googler. The wify ain't gonna be to happy about that. That was one of the things she wanted to do. But hey, maybe that means more time down on the peninsula!!!!!

Dog sledding is another big one on her list. Anyone have a recommendation for that?

Wasilla for sledding. They’ll have the sleds set up on wheels and take you through a trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay here one night and it's on the way. You will thank me.

Comment

Any of you guys coming up have any questions or run into last minute problems, feel free to give me a shout. I’m in the tourism industry on the Kenai Peninsula, and have contacts from Seward to Kenai to Homer. I’ll help my fellow Texans out. If you’re traveling thru Ninilchik stop by!

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                            I will be in either Anchorage or Juneau at the end of April for a licensing exam. Which location is better? Im following for tips as well.
                            Juneau is the capital and has lots of touristy things for the cruise ships. But you can only drive so far as its land locked. And it rains....ALOT.

Anchorage is like most big cities but leans towards tourists downtown. Good restaurants, shops etc.

Comment

Go to Seward and call Kathleen now to get on a small group whale watching tour with Saltwater Lodge and Tours 907-769-2000! About a 9 hour trip that we saw Orca, humpback, otter, sea lions, seals, glaciers... great tour

Kenai River drifters lodge out of Coopers does a 4 hour and 8 hour float down the Kenai. Good chance to see bear, moose and plenty of eagles.

While in Seward eat at Rays!

If you want an awesome day on Kenai call my buddy Randy Price with Fishem LLC!

You can also try to get on a boat out of Seward for Halibut, Cod and yellow eye.

Hotel Aleyeska in Girdwood is cool little place, ride the tram up the mountain and there’s a little bar up there

Go hiking! Look up virgin creek falls in girdwood, Byron Glacier is cool, Russian River falls is a cool hike!!!

Comment

Nothing special in Homer by the way! Seward, coppers landing, Kenai and Soldotna are better IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X