No announcement yet.

7mm-08 vs 7mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On whitetail, you won't see any difference in performance with the 7-08 vs your current 257 Roberts. I also vote for something more in between your 257 and 300 mag. You didn't mention if you handload or not but the .280 would be a good choice if you don't although the ammo won't be as easy to find as your two choice but you should be used to that with the Roberts. If you handload, the .280AI would be the ticket or if you want a short action the .284 Winchester.

Comment

Sent pm

Comment

7-08, since you already have the .300 win mag

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          280ai...

Comment

My truck gun is 7MM-08. It can take down just about anything you need in Texas. My old boss has taken many mule deer and an elk with that round. Plus, the 7mm Mag is a great round, but that extra power is not fun on the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by texizona View Post
              7-08, since you already have the .300 win mag
              ...you really don't need both the 7mag and the .300.

Take the 300 hundo on your elk trip.

If you want a little extra pop - just get a .308 instead of the 7-08 and shoot 158 grain bullets. Basically the same powder burning.

Comment

You'll probably shoot the 7-08 more often. So, it has to be the right choice.

Comment

If you like plinking around at the range, the -08 is the better option IMO because of throat erosion. I've sold several rifles of various calibers, and bought one custom in 7mag, and I believe it's the best all around rifle for what I do. Slightly on the high end bore for whitetail inside a hundred yards, right in the sweet spot for elk out to 800, and slightly under bore for Moose, but usable in all three situations confidently. Recoil on 7mag is still on the enjoyable side to me. 300 win mag starts getting old to me after 3 shots.

Comment

280 rem. best of both worlds

Comment

Well the rifle I'm considering is available in 7mm-08, 7mag, and 308 (and other lighter and heavier calibers) - so unfortunately, a 280 isn't in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                        280 rem. best of both worlds
                        280AI would be best of both worlds... 280 is a good happy medium between

7mm-08 Ai is a cool idea too...

I like 7mm-08 cause short action and really good bc on the heavier bullets and it is very tame to shoot

A lot of it has 2 do with what the goals are, what you wanting to do with the gun? primary function ringing steel at 1k? 7mm-08 cause it isn't hard on you

shooting elk... 7mm

Comment

You asked the wrong crowd...

7mm-08, 280AI, 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                            ...you really don't need both the 7mag and the .300.

Take the 300 hundo on your elk trip.

I can agree with this which points you to 7-08

Comment

seeing as you already have a 300WM. 7-08

Comment

How about a straight 284 on a long action? Built one, love it, wouldn't trade it. Seat your bergers or other VLD types out long. No feeding issues either. However, to make a straight 284 worth your while you almost HAVE TO reload.

Comment

Working...
                                X