Kidd 10/22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidd 10/22?

My dad has been wanting a really nice 10/22, but hasn't "pulled the trigger" yet.

For Fathers Day, I wanted to get him a Kidd, but their complete rifles have a two week lead time. Their receivers have a two week lead time. I want him to have it before Fathers Day, so I ordered ALL Kidd parts less the receiver, pic rail, and stock. It was also pretty fun getting to pick the finish on every little part.

Assuming the Kidd barrel and Ruger stripped receiver have a tight press fit, am I going to regret skimping on the receiver? Is a $200 aftermarket receiver better than a stock Ruger receiver?

Tony built a Super-grade for me. It would come dang close to keeping up with the .22 benchrest guys.

mine had the Anschutz stock. EVERYTHING about it screamed quality.

Buy with confidence

Comment

The receiver is the heart of the gun...I would rather get the whole enchilada late myself.

Comment

Either way they shoot. I had a 10/22 that I bought the KIDD match grade SS barrel for and it shot a 1" group at 100yds all day long with little wind. It was a blast to shoot. The way the rRugers mount to the receiver is easy, and a good fit. you can buy a different vblock if you want to.

I would not buy anything else if I were to build another one.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          Either way they shoot. I had a 10/22 that I bought the KIDD match grade SS barrel for and it shot a 1" group at 100yds all day long with little wind.
          I gotta tip my hat to you. After an hour or two at the shooting bench I’m done. No way I could go 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            I gotta tip my hat to you. After an hour or two at the shooting bench I’m done. No way I could go 24 hours.
            LOL! After reading that I see what you mean! I meant it could shoot them all day long. Not that I did!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post

Assuming the Kidd barrel and Ruger stripped receiver have a tight press fit, am I going to regret skimping on the receiver? Is a $200 aftermarket receiver better than a stock Ruger receiver?
              Like you mentioned so long as the fit is tight you will build a great shooter. I've built one with a stock receiver that held 2/10ths So personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                Like you mentioned so long as the fit is tight you will build a great shooter. I've built one with a stock receiver that held 2/10ths So personally I wouldn't worry about it.
                That's what I am hoping for. Worst case, I can upgrade the receiver later.

Comment

I bought a 10/22 and then replaced everything with kidd products except for the receiver. Pretty fun and accurate gun.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                    I bought a 10/22 and then replaced everything with kidd products except for the receiver. Pretty fun and accurate gun.
                    Sweet. Thx.

Comment

Am I going to regret skimping on the receiver? Is a $200 aftermarket receiver better than a stock Ruger receiver?
                      Maybe, maybe not. All depends on the specs of your existing receiver. I've built the exact same rifle you are building (kidd parts and ruger receiver) and it shot right at 0.75" at 100 yards with match ammo and in an indoor range. Just have to build it and see. If you aren't happy with it you might want to grab a Kidd receiver but I think you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                        Same but I put a Hogue stock on it. One of my favorite guns to shoot, great weight to it and very accurate.

Comment

Kidd parts came in today and I am very impressed by the quality.

Dad's build will happen this weekend.

Comment

Kidd parts came in today and I am very impressed by the quality.

Dad's build will happen this weekend.
                            If the fit is very tight, freeze the barrel and carefully warm the receiver before installing it. Don't remove any material if at all possible.

I had one once that had barrel droop due to loose fit and had to shim it with aluminum can material.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              If the fit is very tight, freeze the barrel and carefully warm the receiver before installing it. Don't remove any material if at all possible.

I had one once that had barrel droop due to loose fit and had to shim it with aluminum can material.
                              Thanks. That's the plan. 'Going to pick some anti-seize on the way home and let the barrel hang out in the deep freeze for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X