No announcement yet.

Need 308 and 300WM Bullet suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the 300 have the pachmayr recoil pad? If not, I'd change the factory pad out while you're doing the mercury recoil reducer. Will make it comfortable to shoot extended range sessions without spending the money on new stock.

Comment

If you are hunting deer with the 308, a 150 grain Hornady interlock will work just fine. Killed a lot of deer with a 3006 using the 150 flat base interlock, that I reload. But I will say that I have also killed quiet a few deer with the 150 grain factory Winchester power point as well. The only premium bullet I have ever reloaded were Speer Grand Slams for a 3006 to use on Nilgai. You don't need a premium bullet to effectively kill deer. IMO, shot placement, is more important than expensive premium bullets. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

Having shot quite of a bit of game with both I am a big believer in the 165 Sierra Gamekings for the 308 on deer size game. For the 300wm you can use 180 Barnes TSX or 180 Nosler Accubonds for just about anything short of brown bears.

Comment

I shoot the 150 gr hornady interloks in my savage 308. Does,a great job. So far everything I've shot had been drt.

Comment

The 168gr Speer Gold Dots are wicked. Basically the exact same bullet as the Federal Fusion. The price is awesome also.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
              Does the 300 have the pachmayr recoil pad? If not, I'd change the factory pad out while you're doing the mercury recoil reducer. Will make it comfortable to shoot extended range sessions without spending the money on new stock.

It does have the pachmayr pad. I haven’t shot it yet, so I have no idea about the recoil as it sits. I have my bases and rings in the mail, so once their here I’ll put my vortex on it and go shooting. After that I’ll see if I wanna make any change to reduce recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 300 winmag loves 180 nosler partitions. Biggest thing I've killed with it though is a 300-pound aoudad and he was DRT

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Careful shooting that 300WM in that featherweight. You can develop a permanent flinch easier than you think. That being said, I'd check out a 180 gr. boattail bullet for that gun.

Comment

I've got a bunch of partial boxes of 308 bullets but I would give you for load development if you want them. I'm in Pearland Texas if you're close by. Once I found the Nosler partitions shot amazing and we're highly recommended for large game I quit trying new things loaded a ton of them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

300 win mag = 180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded tip..
                      In fact i am switching over to Trophy Boned tip for my 30 06, 270 as i run out of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                        Careful shooting that 300WM in that featherweight. You can develop a permanent flinch easier than you think. That being said, I'd check out a 180 gr. boattail bullet for that gun.

I’ve never shot a rifle this big, so not sure if I’m just underestimating the recoil, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I reload 308 with 178 amax. Excellent accuracy and unload a ton of energy in animals. I've shot pigs up the rear and entire cavity looked like it was blended up. Not saying it's the best but its darn good.
                          Used to shoot 168 federal gold match and it killed deer too and was accurate right out of box.

Comment

Working...
                          X