No announcement yet.

KCA Ranch. A Work in Progress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's ok. Just moping around a bit and limping. You can barely see the fang marks here

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436010543.617088.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24388828

Mary and I were working on the creek washout (pictured above) and Daisy went down by the culvert to get a drink. She yelped twice and came running up the creek bank. She had her rear left leg off the ground and I saw the bite mark. Looked like a lot of venom on the outside. I don't think she got much of a dose. Gave her two Benadryl tablets and got her cooled off in the AC.

Comment

Kill all snakes.

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436038542.115535.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	24388861

She's begging for brisket now....I reckon she'll live.

Comment

Our hound has been hit 3 or 4 times and the lab twice. Only once did it do anything but swell bad.

She'll be fine

Comment

I bet she will be a lot better after the brisket

Comment

Got some pretty youngsters at my back feeder. Couple of daytime hog pics too. I need to mow/weedeat back there. Dang grass is setting off my camera every time the wind blows.

Name:	PICT0014.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24388922

Name:	PICT0015.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24388923

Name:	PICT0019.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	24388924

Name:	PICT0092.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	24388925

Name:	PICT0093.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24388926

Name:	PICT0099.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	24388927

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 12.02.21 AM.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	24388928
              Last edited by Chew; 07-04-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Got some pretty youngsters at my back feeder. Couple of daytime hog pics too. I need to mow/weedeat back there. Dang grass is setting off my camera every time the wind blows.
                  Living the dream...

Cut out those web-worms while you are at it and burn 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                    Living the dream...

Cut out those web-worms while you are at it and burn 'em.

Sounds like a good project for the wife.

Comment

Looking good bud, the brisket and your ranch.

Comment

Well....the last 3-4 weeks have been long and miserable while I was waiting to get back to KCA. The daughter had camps that we had to take her to, then I went out of state for work for a week, then the wife left to go to Alaska with the TBH ladies for a fishing trip. So the daughter and I hauled butt up there on Sunday morning to make sure things were ok and do a little work and play trip.

The private road that ends at our property got rutted up bad over the last year.

We had ordered several loads of slag but at the last minute the guy cancelled and said he couldn't get any for us. Bummer. I got tired of driving over it and the holes got worse due to all the rain. So I hooked up the box blade and dropped down the scarifier teeth and tore up the hole dang road. Bent two of the teeth on some big rocks. Got everything tore up and then smoothed it out decently with the box blade. It's a little smoother but I really need some rock to throw down.

Name:	road1.JPG
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	24394639

Name:	road2.JPG
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	24394640

Name:	road3.JPG
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	24394641

Name:	road4.JPG
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	24394642

The next project was to try and fix the huge washout that I posted pics of above. The heavy flooding did a number on our culvert where it joins the neighbor's culvert. I tried to wait on a better fix with the neighbor but every time I drove down the road another piece would crumble into the hole (it was watched out up under the road).

BEFORE:

So we built a little retaining wall out of t-posts and treated fence posts/lumber. Then I drove the tractor down into the creek and lowered the bucket. Filled up the bucket 4 dang times with big rocks and dumped them in the hole. Then hand placed them up in the washout and around the culvert. The retaining wall was built right under the fence on the property line. Probably not the best fix but it's all I could afford for now!

After Pics:

I was happy with it and the total cost in materials was about $50. The labor cost was about $50,000 (it was hot!)

Then I hooked up the brush hog and mowed the ditches on the private road.

Then I took off the plastic guards on both ends of the PTO on the brush hog and lubed 'em up with the grease gun.

Then mowed a little more on the roads into the middle of the property.

The creek was real low compared to the last few months. Daisy could hardly find a place to cool off:

Name:	IMG_4106.JPG
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	24394636

Name:	IMG_4105.JPG
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	24394637

Name:	daisycreek.JPG
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	24394638

Extra awning we added to the cabin is coming in handy!

Name:	IMG_4117.JPG
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	24394635

The next order of business was checking the three trail cams. WOW. I only had a couple deer at my newest setup near the creek. But when I checked the back hill feeder I had been invaded. They were there all week so I knew I what I needed to do next.

Creek feeder:

Back fence on the property line:

Hill Feeder:

I went out at 7 and got in a tripod (70 yard shot) with the AR-15. The whole dang family came in at 7:45'ish and popped a big boar. Oops. Should have ear-holed him but got hog fever. Aimed for where the neck meets the shoulder. Cheap tul-ammo knocked him down and he went to flopping. A big dust cloud rose up around the feeder as I was trying to pop him again. I saw all the yaupon behind the feeder shaking so I climbed down and drove back to camp to get Daisy the catahoula and Abbie. When we got back, the hog was gone. Daisy took off through the brush with me chasing her. We made it to the back fence where the critters come under and she was ready to go through but I snatched her up before she could go. No blood. Bad shot. But it was cool to finally shoot at a critter while sitting in the stand on my own property. Didn't happen last year.

Abbie and I made burgers on saturday night and had a good breakfast on Sunday. Good father daughter time with no phone service or TV!

Til' next time!

(Sorry about the sideways pics)
                        Last edited by Chew; 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

things are looking great!

Comment

Thanks Bruce. Looks like my fruit trees went to0 long without water. I gave em some on Sunday but may be too late.
                            Last edited by Chew; 07-29-2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I am down to 3....found out plums should only get 4 or so hours of sun. Only 1 peach left..and two of the apples...I think they drowned, then were heat treated with steam...

Comment

Dang. Live and learn. I'm glad I ain't depending on them to survive. =)

Comment

Working...
                                X