Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #7751
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden, Utopia & Matagorda Co.
Default

Awesome bull bugleboy! Congrats to you and your son, both. Well done!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #7752
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point
 
Uncle_Milty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX/LA Coast
Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO
Default

Awesome!
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #7753
Mr. Public
Ten Point
 
Mr. Public's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Too many to list
Default

Congrats on some great bulls guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #7754
ZINS708
Six Point
 
ZINS708's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South TX
Hunt In: Junction, Pleasanton, Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
We do 4 quarter bags and a small bag for straps, tenders and trimmings. I think we could put everything into 4 bags if we didn't mind the weight, I have to watch it these days.

Weather guy is saying maybe a weather change middle of next week that includes snow. Check your forecast before the last packing of the bags.

Mr Public and me did both elk in 4 XL bags each. They were heavy, but it got it done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZINS708 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #7755
ZINS708
Six Point
 
ZINS708's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South TX
Hunt In: Junction, Pleasanton, Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
Got it done In the gila. Day 5 of a 7
Day hunt. Put on 60 miles through some rough, steep **** country and it was worth every mile and foot of elevation gain.








Awesome bull! Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZINS708 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #7756
lmartin5
Pope & Young
 
lmartin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Callahan County, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado
Default

Really enjoying all the picsÖcongratulations on some great bulls!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 02:32 AM   #7757
texas shag
Ten Point
 
texas shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: copper canyon
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Thanks guys!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #7758
GARY
Administrator
 
GARY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Bend County & Shiner Texas
Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta
Default

Well done to you both! Elk hunting is enough on it's own, but doing it with a buddy and getting to live two harvests is incredible!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Public View Post



Tagged out on bulls opening week on CO public land. Headed back to Texas today, lost weight but hauling a heavier load.

This hunt was an absolute grind and the most physically demanding thing Iíve ever done.

The best part about it was being fully apart of and witnessing each of our encounters, shots, kills, crashes, recovery and pack outs together. I watch zins bull expire from 30yds away, and we watched mine tip over 200yds away together. I have GoPro footage of all of zins bull. I turned my GoPro on when my bull closed 60yds, I hope I got the shot at 37yds, the fall over and our excitement immediately afterwards, but when I took my go pro off my head it was not on. I believe the battery died shortly after turning it on.

The plans we made were spot on and executed exactly as prescribed. 3:30am wake ups, followed by 45min drive, hike started at 4:45am to climb over 1,000í in elevation for over a mile in distance just to start our hunt well before day break.

We made one hell of a team together and some incredible memories Iíll never forget. Met some fellow hunters back on the mountain again this year and enjoyed reuniting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 AM   #7759
GARY
Administrator
 
GARY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Bend County & Shiner Texas
Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta
Default

Well done ! Hell of a bull!



Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
Got it done In the gila. Day 5 of a 7
Day hunt. Put on 60 miles through some rough, steep **** country and it was worth every mile and foot of elevation gain.







__________________
Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #7760
Mudcatz
Six Point
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Wow y’all have killed some nice elk. I’m headed out around 2am to try my luck.
Mudcatz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #7761
mix
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ovilla
Hunt In: Seymour TX Caddo Ok
Default

I'm headed up to Colorado for first rifle with a friend of mine. Congrats to the guys that have killed elk so far and good luck to the rest of you!
mix is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #7762
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Sony A7S III
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

MooseontheLoose and I struck out in NM. We were close a few times, but heavy rains forced us into a backup plan the last day. I'll let Adam elaborate, but he was within bow range of another bull 5 times on the last afternoon but couldn't get a clear shot.

Congrats to all the successful hunters, and good luck to everybody currently in or soon headed to the mountains!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #7763
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden, Utopia & Matagorda Co.
Default

Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #7764
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point
 
Uncle_Milty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX/LA Coast
Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!
You are not alone! I leave tomorrow night after the ball game with the truck point to CO. Each day this week has moved slower and slower and I can't stay on task to save my life! Good luck to you!
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 11:16 AM   #7765
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

I just got home from chasing elk 10 days in Wyoming. I was in elk everyday just too early for them to rut. 3 out of 5 guys had shot opportunities they should of executed, all bulls came in silent. One morning I had elk Screaming in every for direction for 4 hours but never put eyes on them. It was a grind but man I love elk hunting. Awesome experience. I did find a gigantic shed on public that would be a 370” bull if other side matched.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #7766
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young
 
Leonhogboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited
Default

Congrats to all those getting bowkill elk. Well done.

I spent 8 days chasing elk in north central Idaho, in the area I was raised. We were in elk, had bulls responding, but none died. For a 68 year old man, it's not all about killing an elk. I will try to gather my thought and post a thread later about the journey from Dec. 1 2022 to the end of my adventure last week.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 11:52 AM   #7767
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post
Congrats to all those getting bowkill elk. Well done.



I spent 8 days chasing elk in north central Idaho, in the area I was raised. We were in elk, had bulls responding, but none died. For a 68 year old man, it's not all about killing an elk. I will try to gather my thought and post a thread later about the journey from Dec. 1 2022 to the end of my adventure last week.



Hogboy

At 67 itís about trying and thanking God Iím still in good enough health to climb up 25% grades. Iím hearing cows and not finding the bull I got on a game camera. The rut and bugling should start next week, going to another place where we know there are bulls.

Are you able to stop here on your way home for the Brewery 2 Brewery tour 9/24?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #7768
wytex
Ten Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I just got home from chasing elk 10 days in Wyoming. I was in elk everyday just too early for them to rut. 3 out of 5 guys had shot opportunities they should of executed, all bulls came in silent. One morning I had elk Screaming in every for direction for 4 hours but never put eyes on them. It was a grind but man I love elk hunting. Awesome experience. I did find a gigantic shed on public that would be a 370Ē bull if other side matched.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you all. Were you in a general area or LQ ?
Weather is turning to fall fast in the mountains, leaves are starting to get a little color to them.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #7769
Jared.King
Ten Point
 
Jared.King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Capitan, NM
Hunt In: Concho County, TX
Default

Well, no luck for me this year. Ended up getting sick on the second day of my hunt and having to get out of there. I was deep in a wilderness area, and glad I got out when I did. I was down for 5 days after that, and really could have been in a bind if I was on the mountain. Unfortunately, that was the time I'd already taken off and would work with my wife's schedule as well. Had a couple of other things I just couldn't get out of over the weekend. SO, I only had three afternoons to hunt.

I had a calling match with a nice 6x6 about 275Ē or so. His fronts were touching, really cool looking bull. Called him and his cows pretty close, I could hear them, but too thick to see. Finally got close enough where I could see him at 104 yards with cows. Couldnít get him closer, and it was too open to stalk closer. So I followed where he went into a thick canyon. Then called one so close I could hear him breathing!!! Just so thick I couldnít see. Bugling sub 20 yards and never saw him. After that I called a smaller 5x5 right at last light to about 30 yards in thick stuff, too much brush to shoot. Then he came out and was about 50 yards, I had about 5 minutes of legal light left, but it was just dark enough and far away that I decided to pass, I don't regret it. It was one of the most fun hunts I'd been on!

Saw like 4 more bulls in the dark while walking out. It was a full moon so you can see ok. Had a really big bull at 40 yards bugling! He started walking right about me! He kept walking to me got about 30ish yard, barked and ran off.

I'm disappointed that I got sick and couldn't hunt the giant I had on camera, it was just too far to hike and I couldn't have got him out of there solo. I had some great experiences, and learned more about elk.

Congrats to the successful hunters! Good luck on the upcoming hunts!

Shoot straight!
Attached Images
  
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 05:40 PM   #7770
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young
 
Leonhogboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Are you able to stop here on your way home for the Brewery 2 Brewery tour 9/24?
Bill, our return plans aren't set yet but 9/24 is a possibility. We have a salmon trip here on 9/21, but could easily be in your area if we go back over Lolo Pass.
I will keep you posted.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #7771
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you all. Were you in a general area or LQ ?
Weather is turning to fall fast in the mountains, leaves are starting to get a little color to them.
I was in a general unit NW part of state. Out of ten days, I saw bulls 5 out of the days and heard at least a few bugles everyday. They just weren't ready to rut. Out of all the bulls called in, none bugled while coming in. I passed some cows and could of easily killed a nice bull or two with a rifle.

We had more grizzly bear and wolf encounters then the local has every seen. I think that didn't help at all along with the warmer weather and full moon.

I really enjoyed it and knowing the rut is still in the future, having a tag in my pocket... might have to figure out how to blitz back up there. We were in amazing elk country.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #7772
RutnBuk
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Early, Tx
Hunt In: Mills/Brown county
Default

Dang 3rd season cant get here fast enough after seeing all these LDPs. Congrats to yall.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #7773
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Hunt recap from New Mexico area 50.

The beginning of the hunt was tough, full moon and pretty warm. The rut was definitely not on while I was hunting.

Day 1 Morning we take off straight up the hill from camp. Just what I needed on day one lol. We had some bulls respond to calls but they werenít moving from where they were. Ended up seeing 4 separate cows,1 spike, 4 md doe and 1 nice md buck.
That Evening was a stand hunt over water. Nothin came to the water but I did see 1 spike , 1 coyote, 2 cows, 2 calves. One bull was bugling most of the afternoon. Right before dark and he came behind the tree I was sitting in with 2 cows. Absolutely no shot. They then eased off away from me. A few days later I found a wallow where they had eased off to. Tough luck.

Day 2 Morning was slow and somewhat warm humid. Only saw 2 cows. I hunted a stand over water again Saturday evening and saw nada.

Day 3 Morning provided some excitement right off the bat. We saw a really nice 6x6 grazing in the meadow on the edge of the tree line about 120 yards away. He was moving across the meadow and we were in a perfect position to head him off. As we are getting in position he decides to turn left and feed away from us. We close the distance to about 75-80 yards with him facing away from us. I make a move to a bush that would be a 60 yard shot if he turned. About the time I get to the bush he figures out something is going on and starts looking my direction. During all of this 3 other bulls joined the party and they were making it very difficult to move. The definite shooter decides he is going to walk off at a rapid pace while the smallest bull of the bunch comes over to us and starts barking from about 30 yards away. We stand up trying to get the small bull to move off so we could try to reengage the big bull but he was having none of that. He just stood the barking at us for about 5 minutes. I should have shot him on principle at that point. Didnít see anything the rest of the morning. Hunted a stand over water that evening and again I was skunked.

Day 4 Morning at my suggestion we head straight up the hill in our hunt area and get in the timber early instead of working the open meadow to start. We have a bull answer pretty early. We make our way over to him and see it is actually 2 bulls and a cow. I decide to pass on both bulls. We continue on for a couple hundred yards and start bugling again. Immediately answered by 2 bulls in different directions. As with the ones before they arenít budging so we head towards one of the two. We continue bugling as we are making our way towards him. The bull we are headed towards goes silent but the other bull is finally moving our direction and closing ground fast. We decide to move in that oneís direction to close the gap and **** him off with more bugling. Heís close now so I Nick an arrow and was almost in the position I wanted to the side of a small pine tree when I see antlers through the timber about 30 yards off. I stop in my tracks not wanting to risk being seen but Iím behind the small pine tree and not beside it. Within seconds he hops a lay down and is in full view at 20 yards and moving closer. I canít tell what his rack is like but I know Iím shooting him if given the chance. I decide not to draw until he goes behind a couple trees and some greenery about 8 yards in front of me. As soon as his head is behind that I draw. He must have seen me or heard me because he immediately stops. **** it!!! I thought I was going to have an 8 yard broadside shot after practicing long distance all summer. The thoughts that go through your mind as the seconds pass rapidly. After a few seconds he whirls and trots back the direction he came. My guide hit the cow call and he stops immediately in the 20 yard opening hard quartering away. I lean out from behind the small pine tree and send my arrow into him right behind the front shoulder. He kind of flinched at the impact of the arrow like that hurt bad. One bound over the log and he is out of sight. In a few seconds we hear what we think is him crashing. A couple minutes later we hear what is probably three death moans and then itís silent. My guide wanted to go get him then but I said nope we are waiting 30 minutes before we ease over to look for him.

He was all happy about the shot but I told him I should have aimed farther back than I did. I was certain it was a one lung hit but hoping it got the heart as well.

After 30 minutes of excited discussion of what had taken place, we slide over so we can start glassing through the timber. I finally spot the tops of his antlers and the celebration begins.

Prayers of thanks are said. I donít care too much about what is on top of his head. I had just arrowed a mature bull and thatís what I came to do. He is a 6x5 with his front brows crossing. What s blessing I was given.

The autopsy showed one lung trashed and a center punched heart. When I finished looking at the heart, I handed it to my guide. He squeezed it and 6Ē of my arrow shaft popped out. We never found the nock end or the business end of the arrow. I wish I would have taken a pic of the heart with the piece of shaft in it.


Shower tent


Camp


The good stuff

The shot

More goodness


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #7774
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Great bull rtp!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #7775
Palmetto
Ten Point
 
Palmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brazoria County
Default

Awesome bull & recap Richard! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #7776
lmartin5
Pope & Young
 
lmartin5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Callahan County, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Hunt recap from New Mexico area 50.

The beginning of the hunt was tough, full moon and pretty warm. The rut was definitely not on while I was hunting.

Day 1 Morning we take off straight up the hill from camp. Just what I needed on day one lol. We had some bulls respond to calls but they werenít moving from where they were. Ended up seeing 4 separate cows,1 spike, 4 md doe and 1 nice md buck.
That Evening was a stand hunt over water. Nothin came to the water but I did see 1 spike , 1 coyote, 2 cows, 2 calves. One bull was bugling most of the afternoon. Right before dark and he came behind the tree I was sitting in with 2 cows. Absolutely no shot. They then eased off away from me. A few days later I found a wallow where they had eased off to. Tough luck.

Day 2 Morning was slow and somewhat warm humid. Only saw 2 cows. I hunted a stand over water again Saturday evening and saw nada.

Day 3 Morning provided some excitement right off the bat. We saw a really nice 6x6 grazing in the meadow on the edge of the tree line about 120 yards away. He was moving across the meadow and we were in a perfect position to head him off. As we are getting in position he decides to turn left and feed away from us. We close the distance to about 75-80 yards with him facing away from us. I make a move to a bush that would be a 60 yard shot if he turned. About the time I get to the bush he figures out something is going on and starts looking my direction. During all of this 3 other bulls joined the party and they were making it very difficult to move. The definite shooter decides he is going to walk off at a rapid pace while the smallest bull of the bunch comes over to us and starts barking from about 30 yards away. We stand up trying to get the small bull to move off so we could try to reengage the big bull but he was having none of that. He just stood the barking at us for about 5 minutes. I should have shot him on principle at that point. Didnít see anything the rest of the morning. Hunted a stand over water that evening and again I was skunked.

Day 4 Morning at my suggestion we head straight up the hill in our hunt area and get in the timber early instead of working the open meadow to start. We have a bull answer pretty early. We make our way over to him and see it is actually 2 bulls and a cow. I decide to pass on both bulls. We continue on for a couple hundred yards and start bugling again. Immediately answered by 2 bulls in different directions. As with the ones before they arenít budging so we head towards one of the two. We continue bugling as we are making our way towards him. The bull we are headed towards goes silent but the other bull is finally moving our direction and closing ground fast. We decide to move in that oneís direction to close the gap and **** him off with more bugling. Heís close now so I Nick an arrow and was almost in the position I wanted to the side of a small pine tree when I see antlers through the timber about 30 yards off. I stop in my tracks not wanting to risk being seen but Iím behind the small pine tree and not beside it. Within seconds he hops a lay down and is in full view at 20 yards and moving closer. I canít tell what his rack is like but I know Iím shooting him if given the chance. I decide not to draw until he goes behind a couple trees and some greenery about 8 yards in front of me. As soon as his head is behind that I draw. He must have seen me or heard me because he immediately stops. **** it!!! I thought I was going to have an 8 yard broadside shot after practicing long distance all summer. The thoughts that go through your mind as the seconds pass rapidly. After a few seconds he whirls and trots back the direction he came. My guide hit the cow call and he stops immediately in the 20 yard opening hard quartering away. I lean out from behind the small pine tree and send my arrow into him right behind the front shoulder. He kind of flinched at the impact of the arrow like that hurt bad. One bound over the log and he is out of sight. In a few seconds we hear what we think is him crashing. A couple minutes later we hear what is probably three death moans and then itís silent. My guide wanted to go get him then but I said nope we are waiting 30 minutes before we ease over to look for him.

He was all happy about the shot but I told him I should have aimed farther back than I did. I was certain it was a one lung hit but hoping it got the heart as well.

After 30 minutes of excited discussion of what had taken place, we slide over so we can start glassing through the timber. I finally spot the tops of his antlers and the celebration begins.

Prayers of thanks are said. I donít care too much about what is on top of his head. I had just arrowed a mature bull and thatís what I came to do. He is a 6x5 with his front brows crossing. What s blessing I was given.

The autopsy showed one lung trashed and a center punched heart. When I finished looking at the heart, I handed it to my guide. He squeezed it and 6Ē of my arrow shaft popped out. We never found the nock end or the business end of the arrow. I wish I would have taken a pic of the heart with the piece of shaft in it.


Shower tent


Camp


The good stuff

The shot

More goodness


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a great bull!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #7777
Chew
Pope & Young
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Centerville, TX
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Hunt recap from New Mexico area 50.

The beginning of the hunt was tough, full moon and pretty warm. The rut was definitely not on while I was hunting.

Day 1 Morning we take off straight up the hill from camp. Just what I needed on day one lol. We had some bulls respond to calls but they werenít moving from where they were. Ended up seeing 4 separate cows,1 spike, 4 md doe and 1 nice md buck.
That Evening was a stand hunt over water. Nothin came to the water but I did see 1 spike , 1 coyote, 2 cows, 2 calves. One bull was bugling most of the afternoon. Right before dark and he came behind the tree I was sitting in with 2 cows. Absolutely no shot. They then eased off away from me. A few days later I found a wallow where they had eased off to. Tough luck.

Day 2 Morning was slow and somewhat warm humid. Only saw 2 cows. I hunted a stand over water again Saturday evening and saw nada.

Day 3 Morning provided some excitement right off the bat. We saw a really nice 6x6 grazing in the meadow on the edge of the tree line about 120 yards away. He was moving across the meadow and we were in a perfect position to head him off. As we are getting in position he decides to turn left and feed away from us. We close the distance to about 75-80 yards with him facing away from us. I make a move to a bush that would be a 60 yard shot if he turned. About the time I get to the bush he figures out something is going on and starts looking my direction. During all of this 3 other bulls joined the party and they were making it very difficult to move. The definite shooter decides he is going to walk off at a rapid pace while the smallest bull of the bunch comes over to us and starts barking from about 30 yards away. We stand up trying to get the small bull to move off so we could try to reengage the big bull but he was having none of that. He just stood the barking at us for about 5 minutes. I should have shot him on principle at that point. Didnít see anything the rest of the morning. Hunted a stand over water that evening and again I was skunked.

Day 4 Morning at my suggestion we head straight up the hill in our hunt area and get in the timber early instead of working the open meadow to start. We have a bull answer pretty early. We make our way over to him and see it is actually 2 bulls and a cow. I decide to pass on both bulls. We continue on for a couple hundred yards and start bugling again. Immediately answered by 2 bulls in different directions. As with the ones before they arenít budging so we head towards one of the two. We continue bugling as we are making our way towards him. The bull we are headed towards goes silent but the other bull is finally moving our direction and closing ground fast. We decide to move in that oneís direction to close the gap and **** him off with more bugling. Heís close now so I Nick an arrow and was almost in the position I wanted to the side of a small pine tree when I see antlers through the timber about 30 yards off. I stop in my tracks not wanting to risk being seen but Iím behind the small pine tree and not beside it. Within seconds he hops a lay down and is in full view at 20 yards and moving closer. I canít tell what his rack is like but I know Iím shooting him if given the chance. I decide not to draw until he goes behind a couple trees and some greenery about 8 yards in front of me. As soon as his head is behind that I draw. He must have seen me or heard me because he immediately stops. **** it!!! I thought I was going to have an 8 yard broadside shot after practicing long distance all summer. The thoughts that go through your mind as the seconds pass rapidly. After a few seconds he whirls and trots back the direction he came. My guide hit the cow call and he stops immediately in the 20 yard opening hard quartering away. I lean out from behind the small pine tree and send my arrow into him right behind the front shoulder. He kind of flinched at the impact of the arrow like that hurt bad. One bound over the log and he is out of sight. In a few seconds we hear what we think is him crashing. A couple minutes later we hear what is probably three death moans and then itís silent. My guide wanted to go get him then but I said nope we are waiting 30 minutes before we ease over to look for him.

He was all happy about the shot but I told him I should have aimed farther back than I did. I was certain it was a one lung hit but hoping it got the heart as well.

After 30 minutes of excited discussion of what had taken place, we slide over so we can start glassing through the timber. I finally spot the tops of his antlers and the celebration begins.

Prayers of thanks are said. I donít care too much about what is on top of his head. I had just arrowed a mature bull and thatís what I came to do. He is a 6x5 with his front brows crossing. What s blessing I was given.

The autopsy showed one lung trashed and a center punched heart. When I finished looking at the heart, I handed it to my guide. He squeezed it and 6Ē of my arrow shaft popped out. We never found the nock end or the business end of the arrow. I wish I would have taken a pic of the heart with the piece of shaft in it.


Shower tent


Camp


The good stuff

The shot

More goodness


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Way to go Richard! Happy for you. PM outfitter info if u don't mind. Was it a draw hunt ir landowner tag?

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2022, 10:33 PM   #7778
bsills
Pope & Young
 
bsills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fair Oaks
Hunt In: Menard County
Default

Congrats RTP
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #7779
Chad_E
Ten Point
 
Chad_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Grange
Hunt In: Colorado Co.
Default

Thanks for sharing! Great bull. Congrats!
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #7780
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Congrats Richard! Great bull and nice recap.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #7781
bugleboy
Ten Point
 
bugleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Hunt In: Young county
Default

Sounds like a very exciting hunt! Congrats
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #7782
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Congrats!!!
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #7783
Chance Love
Pope & Young
 
Chance Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leander, Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas
Default

Congrats to all you successful hunters!
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #7784
Track & Recover
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin
Default

Great pics, story, and bull! I'm happy for you.
Track & Recover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #7785
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden, Utopia & Matagorda Co.
Default

Great bull RTP! You are not helping productivity at work!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #7786
Justin Spies
Ten Point
 
Justin Spies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!
Default

Congrats on all the success guys. Leaving in eight days, but I am already checked out!
Justin Spies is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #7787
BuckSmasher
Ten Point
 
BuckSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Hunt In: All Over
Default

Heading back out for another 4 days. Six hour drive, probably wont get any sympathy from yall headed to elk country from Texas.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 08:51 PM   #7788
walker1983
Ten Point
 
walker1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midland
Hunt In: Albany / Colorado City / Paducah / Old Mexico
Default

Heading to Wyoming tomorrow AM. Hope to be putting up elk pictures by Monday!
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 09:41 PM   #7789
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default


The good stuff



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I bet That Smile Stuck All The way Home. Congrats on a Awesome Bull Bud
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #7790
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Heading out to NM on Sunday and my work focus is seriously lacking!
Good luck and tell you're dad hello and we're going to the islands end of next month

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #7791
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden, Utopia & Matagorda Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Good luck and tell you're dad hello and we're going to the islands end of next month

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks! Will do! Good luck to you guys
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #7792
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point
 
Uncle_Milty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX/LA Coast
Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO
Default

4hrs left until we reach base camp!
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 04:02 PM   #7793
J-Bone
Pope & Young
 
J-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midland, Tx
Default

https://youtu.be/aecRjdqHpzE

https://youtu.be/jcWVlF4SYAU

Had some fun in New Mexico this morning. Really wish I had a tag! Could have killed both with my bow. Had another 35 yards behind some brush screaming bloody murder. Nonstop bugling action.
J-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #7794
cajunguy88
Ten Point
 
cajunguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bone View Post
https://youtu.be/aecRjdqHpzE

https://youtu.be/jcWVlF4SYAU

Had some fun in New Mexico this morning. Really wish I had a tag! Could have killed both with my bow. Had another 35 yards behind some brush screaming bloody murder. Nonstop bugling action.
What area are you in? Iíll be in the area of unit 14 and 39 in next couple weeks (east of Albuquerque)
cajunguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #7795
Jet Black
Ten Point
 
Jet Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: n/a
Default

Congrats to all of the successful hunters! Some incredible bulls guys!

Drew a tag in Montana for my first ever Elk hunt. This was guided on a mix of private and public.

The hunt got off to an exciting start with 3 different bulls coming into our calling the first morning, but I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and never got an arrow off. It was tough hunting the rest of that day and the next two as we hiked 8-10 miles each day in the Little Belt Mountains just trying to find some elk.

On the 4th morning of the hunt we finally located some, closed the gap to about 150 yards and got setup to call. We couldn’t coax over the big herd bull but this guy couldn’t resist coming to check out what all the commotion was.

Shot him walking at 32.5 yards quartering away as he was following a trail over to the calling. That’s the exit wound you can see in the pic. He looped back around and crashed 50 yard away.

Looking forward to some good groceries!

Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #7796
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Congrats and excellent shot!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #7797
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Congrats Jet!!! Great bull!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #7798
Jet Black
Ten Point
 
Jet Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: n/a
Default

Thanks guys!
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #7799
Justin Spies
Ten Point
 
Justin Spies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Congrats to all of the successful hunters! Some incredible bulls guys!

Drew a tag in Montana for my first ever Elk hunt. This was guided on a mix of private and public.

The hunt got off to an exciting start with 3 different bulls coming into our calling the first morning, but I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and never got an arrow off. It was tough hunting the rest of that day and the next two as we hiked 8-10 miles each day in the Little Belt Mountains just trying to find some elk.

On the 4th morning of the hunt we finally located some, closed the gap to about 150 yards and got setup to call. We couldnít coax over the big herd bull but this guy couldnít resist coming to check out what all the commotion was.

Shot him walking at 32.5 yards quartering away as he was following a trail over to the calling. Thatís the exit wound you can see in the pic. He looped back around and crashed 50 yard away.

Looking forward to some good groceries!

Congrats sir! Great shot, what head did you use?
Justin Spies is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #7800
Jet Black
Ten Point
 
Jet Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: n/a
Default

Thanks! 125g Iron Will. Really impressed with how it punched through the opposite shoulder. Came out right next to scapula and there were a bunch of bone fragments in the exit wound.

Edit: should also add that the arrow still had enough momentum to rip my nockturnal in half as the arrow exited. Since the shoulder was so tight in there it grabbed ahold of the larger diameter nockturnal and the arrow kept going with the lighted portion of the nock still in the arrow. Zoom in on arrow in pic.

Last edited by Jet Black; 09-19-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com