Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-02-2022, 01:01 AM   #7551
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Slacking hard on workouts but doing some hard labor digging post holes and building at camp so that's gotta count for something. New glasses came in and they seem to actually work so I'm ready lol
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #7552
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default It's Getting close

September is coming up quick. Seems the older I get the faster time flies. Good grief we are in August! Started getting some early plantar fasciitis tweaks in my left foot about a month ago when I was out rucking. It popped up last year and I ignored it out rucking. It got so bad I could hardly walk. I pushed it too far and learned my lesson. Had to stop doing anything 6 weeks before my hunt and it was still bad when I hit the mountains last year. Never again! So I jumped on a bike and I am doing miles on the bike. Hitting some hills to get the legs in shape and helps with the cardio at the same time.

Can't wait for the smell of the Aspen and Pines. Good luck to you all wherever you guys are headed this year.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #7553
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Just got my Elk tag for New Mexico.................come on September baby
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #7554
Diamond07
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
Just got my Elk tag for New Mexico.................come on September baby
What unit are you hunting? I struck out on tags this year but still going to New Mexico Labor Day weekend to beat the heat.
Diamond07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #7555
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Working hard this month- goal is to add 100 more steps per day on a stair stepper. Not sure how I will perform or if I can maintain that goal. Hit the weights for high reps and then finish with incline tread mill, walking jogging sprinting repeat. I was much further in training this time last year.

Started shooting last week- figure I may as well go ahead and start slinging broad heads this week.

Next is pulling out all of last years packers to review, replenish, organize and pack.

Itíll be me and another TBHer going to CO. We both got an arrow in bulls last Sept- neither recovered so we have some redemptions to earn.

This will be my 2nd time to pursue elk and 2nd time to CO. I have high confidence this go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #7556
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Well gotta say I'm jealous of you all, we're not going tp set an archery elk camp this year.
Going to concentrate in Sept on archery whitetails.
We do have private access for cow elk in Sept so we're going to get at least one down with a rifle, it opens Aug 15 for rifle.

Won't be long and the bulls will break up and start gathering cows.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #7557
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond07 View Post
What unit are you hunting? I struck out on tags this year but still going to New Mexico Labor Day weekend to beat the heat.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #7558
The Cajun
Eight Point

I'll be going after a bull elk September 22-27 in unit 120 of Wyoming. Got the new V3x set up and well into the workouts. Will be a guided hunt near the big horn mountains on public and private. Looking forward to it! Anyone else going to be in the area? We plan to go up 2-3 days early and will be acclimating and hitting up the archery range near Casper.
The Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #7559
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

This morning was pretty disappointing. The unit I was after in CO had 4 tags available in the leftover draw. Instructions I read said log in a 8am to get in line, enter at 9 am to buy. Got in a 8 am on the nose, but apparently there was a little delay as I wasnt sent to the que page. I hit refresh at 8:30 and then it sent me to the que. Everything was gone by the time it let me in. That was my last hope at a tag this year. Debating on a solo archery OTC hunt, or just sitting this year out.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #7560
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County/ Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cajun View Post
I'll be going after a bull elk September 22-27 in unit 120 of Wyoming. Got the new V3x set up and well into the workouts. Will be a guided hunt near the big horn mountains on public and private. Looking forward to it! Anyone else going to be in the area? We plan to go up 2-3 days early and will be acclimating and hitting up the archery range near Casper.

Iíve spent time in that unit. You are in for a treat
jaker_cc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 12:32 AM   #7561
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Anyone have a good pair of hiking boots to brag on? Put 60 miles on this week in the mountains and definitely tired of my old boots. Please let me know if you have a proven brand that has pleased you. Only Looking for waterproof and uninsulated. Thanks for any suggestions
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 12:39 AM   #7562
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Anyone have a good pair of hiking boots to brag on? Put 60 miles on this week in the mountains and definitely tired of my old boots. Please let me know if you have a proven brand that has pleased you. Only Looking for waterproof and uninsulated. Thanks for any suggestions
Both sets of Crispi I have are awesome, they're always my first choice not that I have them.
I also like my Zamberland and Solomon GTX pretty darn good for different situations, Zamberland are lighter with stiffer sole and Solomon are more comfortable overall.

Last edited by justletmein; 08-15-2022 at 12:43 AM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #7563
MadHatter
Pope & Young

I run the Solomons ^^^, and Lowa Rangers, no complaints.
The Lowas last about 100 miles longer than the S's.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 07:40 AM   #7564
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím on my third resole on a pair of Hanwag Yukons. I rotate between those and a pair of Hanwag Ancash II for elk.

Iíve been either Hanwag or Gronell for past 25 years and no issues.

Iím not a huge waterproof boot fan so I normally go leather lined unless Iím hunting snow.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #7565
wytex
Ten Point

We're getting down into the 40's at night all week and a wet pattern for a few days, elk will be loving it!
Old 08-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #7566
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Kenetrex for hiking/ hunting boots. I couldnít be happier.

Must be getting close- archery pronghorn season opened today in Montana. I saw 5 great bucks- but they ignored my decoy near the ground-blind.

Hereís a trick- if you use a hydration bladder, put a couple slices of lemon in when you fill it. It was way more refreshing than plain water.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #7567
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Will look into all of them.

A few pictures from our scouting trip last week to get the elk hunters pumped up. The elk in New mexico are in thier prime this yr. Good luck to all the lucky tag holders.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:55 PM   #7568
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:

What boot are you unhappy with? I have two pair of Crispis and Iím very satisfied with both of them. And Thanks for the pics. That gets me fired up. What unit are you hunting?

rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 09:00 PM   #7569
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

I've walked out a pair of danners and a pair of Irish setters. Both had a couple hundred miles on them in the mountains but, never was happy with either of them. Have always had to fight feet issues on every hunt.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:43 PM   #7570
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
I've walked out a pair of danners and a pair of Irish setters. Both had a couple hundred miles on them in the mountains but, never was happy with either of them. Have always had to fight feet issues on every hunt.

Have you tried Solomon? Iím 2 hunts and many miles of hikes in on mine and have loved them since the start.

Man, yíall spotted some good bulls with mass for days!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #7571
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden, Utopia & Matagorda Co.

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Will look into all of them.

A few pictures from our scouting trip last week to get the elk hunters pumped up. The elk in New mexico are in thier prime this yr. Good luck to all the lucky tag holders.

Those are two great bulls! I hope to see something like that in September! I use Lowas and have been happy. They are just about worn out though. Donít wear them often but they are very comfortable.

TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 10:31 PM   #7572
Bulldawg87
Four Point

Hunt In: Wilson, Menard County, TX - Indiana & Mississippi. Elk where ever I can!

Just came back from the Gila scouting this weekend. My main goal was figuring out how to access a few places I wanted to go. Did better than I expected and 1st time with my ebike in the mountains....it's gonna be a nice tool I think.

After the Black Fire, it's rained a ton and I got flooded out at the end and barely made it out of there before flood water would have trapped me.

One more month... and I will be chasing bugles!
Attached Images

Bulldawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:19 AM   #7573
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Looks dang green this year! Think sitting water may not be as effective as normal. Have to chase them down!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #7574
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Been lots of summer rain throughout most of Southern NM, most water holes should be holding up well.

Love seeing the scouting pics, I'll be out there in September scouting for mulies. Like stated above I'll be looking for access points and glassing last year's burn from nearby high points.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #7575
ladrones
Banned!!!

Quote:
If you wear size 12 I have a pair of LOWAs that are insulated. Insulation is way to much heat for my hiking comfort so they never got much use. I can dig them out of the garage. They are over 3 hundy at the stores. I think 40.00 plus the cost of shipping expense is a fair price if your interested.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #7576
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
30 years of going to the mountains I would look at these in this order.

Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite
Saloman Quest 4
Lowa Renegade
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #7577
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK
Default The Elk Thread

My Crispi Nevadas did great in CO and were very comfy.

Codypatt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #7578
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

I am running a pair of Danner GTX Uninsulated. They have been great but this year will likely be their last trip to the mountains.

My brother is running Crispi Nevada's and absolutely loves them. He has a bad ankle and never missed a beat last year on our hunt.

My best friend switched from Danner to Kennetrek 2 years age and has no regrets other than the price tag
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #7579
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Iíve been wearing Kenetrek mountain extremes for 5 years, zero feet issues with an after market insole
Old 08-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #7580
JustinInATX
Spike

Hunt In: Public Land

Leave in 14 days for opening of CO Elk season. Heading up with my friends Nick, Clint and Ben. Three of us have tags and Ben is just tagging along to help and film. We will be on the chase for 12 days with OTC tags.

Can follow us if you want -

JustinInATX
Thwaack
JustinInATX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #7581
Bulldawg87
Four Point

Hunt In: Wilson, Menard County, TX - Indiana & Mississippi. Elk where ever I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
Looks dang green this year! Think sitting water may not be as effective as normal. Have to chase them down!
Yep...I don't think sitting water is going to be all that helpful. Hopefully they will be highly vocal like last year!
Bulldawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #7582
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

Last year I ran the Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex and had no issues and liked the boot. After hunting the ranch last year and talking to some of the guys I am going to run a lighter boot this year with the On Cloudrock Waterproof. The Quest is 663 g while the Cloudrock is 445 g. I am also taking my drop from 12mm to 7mm with the On's.

I have trained in the On's, but I will be taking both pair on the trip.
Heath is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #7583
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
If you wear size 12 I have a pair of LOWAs that are insulated. Insulation is way to much heat for my hiking comfort so they never got much use. I can dig them out of the garage. They are over 3 hundy at the stores. I think 40.00 plus the cost of shipping expense is a fair price if your interested.
Thanks so much for the offer but, I only use uninsulated. I Normally do about 10 miles a day on average and could never pull off walking that much in insulated boots. Thanks again for the offer
Old 08-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #7584
wytex
Ten Point

Spouse has been wearing Meindl, USA, Vakuum for many years and really likes them. He has wide, large feet and they fit him just fine and break in is really short and easy.
He likes an uninsulated , waterproof boot.
Very good support, we hunt some rocky terrain and ankle support is important. Not a hiker height though.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #7585
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Bo,

I prefer a stiffer boot, and have been running Zamberlan 2092's and Lathrop and Sons, both non-insulated. Kennetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, Schnees, Hanwag, Crispi and Salewa all make not notch boots. Just need to try on a few and see which ones fit your foot right, and also know what level of flexibility you want in the boot.

Probably the best forum to do boot research for mountain hunting is Rokslide in their boots subforum.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #7586
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Iíve been wearing Kenetrek mountain extremes for 5 years, zero feet issues with an after market insole
I have some Lowa Renegades and they have been great. Was thinking of swapping out the insoles. Which ones are you running>
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #7587
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

There are lots of good boots, but only if they fit your feet. Find whichever boot fits you the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Spouse has been wearing Meindl, USA, Vakuum for many years and really likes them. He has wide, large feet and they fit him just fine and break in is really short and easy.
He likes an uninsulated , waterproof boot.
Very good support, we hunt some rocky terrain and ankle support is important. Not a hiker height though.
I've worn these for years, and they're the best boots I've ever had. If you have wide feet, they're awesome.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #7588
ElkTipper
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Oklahoma, New Mexico

Meindl Vote!
ElkTipper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #7589
simek
Ten Point

I have run Lowa Tibet's for several years. They are bomb proof and comfy, but super stiff and super heavy. I purchased some Mammut Ducan's. I'm very satisfied with them so far.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #7590
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Dam, you are all making this harder to decide on just one now. LoL

Thanks again for all the Suggestions
Old 08-16-2022, 04:16 PM   #7591
Slick8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTipper View Post
Meindl Vote!
This.

I must confess to be far from am expert but a few here spoke highly of them last year and I wore a set for NM elk. I loved them and will have them back on in the muley woods this year.

I bought them with 400 grams of thinsulate as I'm a candy arse when cold and they were highly recommended for stiffness. They are very stiff and take a minute to break in.

The only con for me is that they're heavy. I think any boot that fits their description is going to be heavier than average.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #7592
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Default The Elk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
I have some Lowa Renegades and they have been great. Was thinking of swapping out the insoles. Which ones are you running>

Sheep feet, a little sticker shock but worth it no doubt.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #7593
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,Idaho and Utah

Scored a leftover Colorado 71-73 bull tag today. I was really depressed after my Alaska moose hunt fell thru a couple weeks ago after two years of planning. First time in those units and first time hunting elk solo. Should be fun. September 2nd canít get here fast enough.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #7594
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
X2000000

Second best Is the hike/green superfeet. Has a heel insert
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 05:20 PM   #7595
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dang, just looked them up, they are proud of those suckers!
If I ever have feet issues, I'll look into them.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #7596
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
X2000000

Giving the super feet a try.
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #7597
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
X2000000

I used the green superfeet for years before I got the sheep feet. It was really good for me as well
Old 08-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #7598
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Its about that time. Good luck boys, hope y'all kill a giant!
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2022, 08:33 AM   #7599
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Been on the road for a few hours now, can’t wait to be set up on the side of the mountain tonight.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2022, 08:39 AM   #7600
Slick8
Pope & Young

Best of luck gents.

Post of some pics when time and service allows.