Moon phase and deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West Feeds View Post
    Sorry, we must have missed that discussion or not been on TBH yet. We'll try to find the info you are talking about as we would love to hear what everyone thought.
    It wasn’t on TBH, but some respected biologists have written articles to that effect.

I’m in agreement with human pressure being probably the number one influence, but food certainly has something to do with it as well as air temps. Temperature is the reason we see so little chasing some years, (like last year), the deer are moving but at night when it’s a little cooler.

I also think that smart people can study whitetails until the cows come home and never learn all they want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      I have no doubt that the moon affects deer movement. All my kids and Grandkids have to be weekend warriors so they hunt when they can. Some weekends have lots better movement than others.
      Agree^^^^

Comment

I pay no mind to the moon but I also hunt different than most of you. Pressure and weather play a much bigger roll for me

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I never paid too much attention and hunted whenever the opportunity was there. This past weekend I was curious because feeders usually with a lot of activity had none. Corn thrown in the morning was undisturbed all day. Pulled the cards on the trail cams and all kinds of activity all night. Maybe it was the full moon, maybe the front coming, maybe the hunting pressure (although these deer aren't pressured that much) or maybe just an alignment of the planets. I do know it was a bright moon and the deer fed all night and didn't show during the day. So, with that knowledge, I'm going to hunt whenever the opportunity is there

Comment

I pay attention to the moon phase when going on out of state hunts since those require time off and planning.

For my deer lease, I hunt when I can and don't worry about it too much.

Comment

I don’t think the phase has as much to do with deer movement other than the morning after a full moon when I don’t see squat.

I’m more into the moon’s “position” as per the Solunar Tables. Might not always see deer when forecasted but I can guarantee if it predicts minimal movement I won’t see squat.

Solunar Tables and a preferred barometric pressure is most important imo.

Comment

Put a camera at your feeder. See what time game shows up and check where the moon was at that time.
                Judge it for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  It wasn’t on TBH, but some respected biologists have written articles to that effect.

I’m in agreement with human pressure being probably the number one influence, but food certainly has something to do with it as well as air temps. Temperature is the reason we see so little chasing some years, (like last year), the deer are moving but at night when it’s a little cooler.

I also think that smart people can study whitetails until the cows come home and never learn all they want to know.
                  Thanks so much for this clarification!

Lol ... We were not finding anything here on TBH and just knew it was user error.
                  Last edited by West Feeds; 01-18-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Mo matters, but the best time to go is WHEN YOU CAN… but when planning, I plan deer hunts and fishing trip around new moon when I can

That said, I think moon effects fish WAY more than deer… also I think that some pockets of deer are more or less effected.

I have also heard some BIGTIME successful deer hunters talk about how granular you would have to get in the study to be sure… if it helps get a buck o. His feet 10 minutes early that can be all it takes. Or if effects their travel path not just the timing it can be huge
                    Last edited by catslayer; 01-18-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                      Put a camera at your feeder. See what time game shows up and check where the moon was at that time.
                      Judge it for yourself.
                      I’ve done that - gone back and compared the time stamp on the photos against the Solunar Tables and found they coincided about 2/3 of the time. Doesn’t mean they were’t up and around away from the camera.

Which of these 2 weeks do think would be better to hunt?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X