Who'll be first? E-F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
    I think this is a ferry dream with the current power grid.
    I don't understand the big idea when electricity has to be generated. I'd like to see the numbers because I think its all for nothing, until someone shows the numbers.
    I'm still having fun smokin diesel with the tuned 6.7 powerstroke !
    An power engineer of sorts put some numbers together for an article about the future of electric vehicles. To sum it up he said the average gas station sees close to 2000 cars a day in his area of California.
    For that same station to see that same volume of electric cars and fast charge them it would have to produce enough electricity it could provide power to 10k houses. And cost each station 30 million to retro fit. Basically, a pipe dream

Comment

And we all see the batteries in our phones and how the time it holds a charge diminishes as time goes on. So your range in your electric truck decreases as well. No thank you.

Comment

Is the real future of electric vehicles not some sort of system to charge while on the move? Thinking electric rail style with a powered cable above/below/beside to get power from while moving. Then you would pay to drive on the lane and charge while you move. Would have to make something semi universal so all companies could get power from.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          The place to look when you want to see where a car a person like myself can afford in 10 years is to look at what companies like McLaren, Porsche, Ferarri, etc... are building today. The tech they build today takes about 10-15 years to get into vehicles for the masses. In another couple years, we will start seeing this set up in Mercedes, and BMW. Then it's just a matter of time until everyone has it. I recall in 2002 a Mercedes with a back up camera. I don't remember if it was a concept or a real car. I thought that was crazy. 2016 I think backup cameras became required by law, and every car had them.

So what engine/motor tech are these companies cars running today? A gas engine attached to an electric generator/motor, and they are capable of running on electric only, or a combination of both. Think of locomotives. They use a giant diesel generator to power electric motors. That is what will come to trucks before long. And that is what I am waiting for.

100% electric is not the answer until battery tech improves massively. And we are 50 years out from any big improvements on battery technology.
          We are running lithium batteries in boats right now. They charge faster, last 10 to 12 years and are half the weight of lead batteries. So battery technology has come a long way and I would venture to say, not 50 years out.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            Not me. I will never buy a battery powered toy truck/car
            ^^Me Either^^ they are a joke and a waste of money.

Comment

I dont think the technology is there now but it will be. Guys saying these vehicles are a joke etc I bet have never driven one. I was a muscle car kid. Had a Falcon that was sub 12. Brother built and raced quarter mile trucks. I have never felt torque, snap, and ate up a take off like the first time I stomped a Tesla. Tesla has superchargers everywhere now. Full charge in 30-45 minutes. Once the distance gets over 500 miles it will be hard to argue. Heck all you guys spend that long in Bucees with your truck parked blocking a gas pump. Torque will far out pull a combustion power

Comment

And they are already talking a mileage tax to offset fuel taxes......

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  There will be lots of regret

I doubt it. Most people buying vehicles like this know what they are buying. And it will work well for lots of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                    And we all see the batteries in our phones and how the time it holds a charge diminishes as time goes on. So your range in your electric truck decreases as well. No thank you.

The same can be said for gas vehicles. They don’t last forever and eventually needs replacing.

But in this look at me society very few people keep them long enough for that to happen so it’s really a moot point.

Comment

Who'll be first? E-F150

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      I dont think the technology is there now but it will be. Guys saying these vehicles are a joke etc I bet have never driven one. I was a muscle car kid. Had a Falcon that was sub 12. Brother built and raced quarter mile trucks. I have never felt torque, snap, and ate up a take off like the first time I stomped a Tesla. Tesla has superchargers everywhere now. Full charge in 30-45 minutes. Once the distance gets over 500 miles it will be hard to argue. Heck all you guys spend that long in Bucees with your truck parked blocking a gas pump. Torque will far out pull a combustion power

Agreed. People who have no clue about electric vehicles are making ignorant comments in here.

An electric motor provides 100% of its power immediately. A combustion engine through a parasitic loss drive train will never compete with that, period.

To make comments like toy truck and what not is just ignorant. I guess all those electric trains that pull Lord knows how many tons effortlessly are just toys too. [emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
                        14-hrs is for the normal, every night charge to protect the life of the battery. Fast charging is available, but I think not recommended for everyday use.

It's definitely not intended to be used as a long-distance puller, but I can see the value/advantages of electric trucks for normal, everyday use & standard commutes.

I’ll probably buy one in 2024
                        My f250 has 140k so I’ll be ready to park it for trips only by then
                        Use the lightening for daily commute to work ~30 miles per day

Comment

The discussion of how higher ambient air temps in the south wear harder on the electric vehicle batteries will be interesting to watch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                            When they come out with an F250 or 350 SRW in 4x4 I will take a look.
                            Because you never need either in diesel anyway... lol.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                                And they are already talking a mileage tax to offset fuel taxes......
                                ^^^^ This right here.

I have no issues with electric vehicle adoption and I work in Oil&Gas. EVs are not a threat so long as the world population continues to rise, and it will. 2 billion people are under served and considered energy poor in the world. I've said many times we need EVERYTHING we can produce in order to meet the demands of people first.

At the same time I don't want to give up my gas without knowing what the government and states are gonna do to recoup all these juicy "incentives" they have been dolling out for years. On top of all the unknowns, a lot of utility companies penalize you for consuming more energy thru high usage surcharges... how is that gonna work when you are trying to charge a vehicle every night?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X