2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Gardening Thread

I really enjoyed last year’s gardening thread and since I’ve got a question about this year’s spring garden I thought I’d get a new thread started.

I just ordered my seeds for this spring. I’m going with mostly heritage plants this year.
    For those who start their seeds indoors and then transplant when the weather warms up , when do you start your seeds and what do you grow them in?

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    I really enjoyed last year’s gardening thread and since I’ve got a question about this year’s spring garden I thought I’d get a new thread started.

I just ordered my seeds for this spring. I’m going with mostly heritage plants this year.
    For those who start their seeds indoors and then transplant when the weather warms up , when do you start your seeds and what do you grow them in?
    Most of our seeds are started. My brother has a greenhouse and starts most in there. He's doing a second round of tomatoes this weekend. I start a few in my house. I typically just use 4" pots with potting soil or a seed starting mix. I set them in a sunny window once sprouted. If you have more space, you can make as an elaborate set up as you want. Trays on shelves with grow lights above them work really well. I like starting mine in 4" pots just so I can transplant directly to garden. My brother does more bulk so they are in 1-2" trays/pots starting out and then transfer to larger pots as they grow.

Garlic is coming along nicely, onions are going in this weekend. The freeze a while back finished off my brocoli and lettuce. I was fortunate enough to get several heads of brocoli before the big freeze.

Comment

In for the info…

Comment

Six weeks before final frost date in your area is the general rule of thumb to follow for tomatoes and a lot of veggies. Peppers take a little longer to sprout typically

Comment

Im putting onion and garlic in the ground this weekend. Was going to start tomatoes but saw my local Lowes has the ones I like out front already. As much as I like starting my own tomatoes they just make it so dang convenient to just purchase at time of planting. So instead I am starting some bok choy and other harder to find veggies by seed this weekend.

Comment

I’m going to get some mushroom compost tomorrow actually. Building raised beds instead of tilling this year.

Comment

I had 5 loads of top soil delivered about a month ago and it set in to raining out on the prairie the next day!! Haven't been able to get the tractor in the garden spot to spread it! I sure hope I don't have another wash-out again this year... We had a beautiful garden going last year when all the rains started... Had pumps pumping water out of the garden but lost everything to too much water... Zero production!! This is my last attempt. If I can't get the ground raised a bit, we will go to all raised beds in the future!! Been 3 years since we had a real producing garden!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                I had 5 loads of top soil delivered about a month ago and it set in to raining out on the prairie the next day!! Haven't been able to get the tractor in the garden spot to spread it! I sure hope I don't have another wash-out again this year... We had a beautiful garden going last year when all the rains started... Had pumps pumping water out of the garden but lost everything to too much water... Zero production!! This is my last attempt. If I can't get the ground raised a bit, we will go to all raised beds in the future!! Been 3 years since we had a real producing garden!!
                Dang that sucks to hear SS. I'm not going to throw out any suggestion because I'm sure I ain't gonna say anything that you haven't already thought about. Good luck this year!

Comment

How do you guys deal with gumbo soil ? I built two raised beds last year at my house. I enjoyed raising vegetables in them. So i decided this year to make a real garden, at my daughter's house. When i tried to till it up, it is gumbo soil, it didn't till worth a darn. So how do i fix it ?

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                    How do you guys deal with gumbo soil ? I built two raised beds last year at my house. I enjoyed raising vegetables in them. So i decided this year to make a real garden, at my daughter's house. When i tried to till it up, it is gumbo soil, it didn't till worth a darn. So how do i fix it ?
                    You need to loosen up that soil. I would add some sand and organic materials like mulch leaves, compost, etc. Then mix the said and organic material with the gumbo soil, preferably with a tiller. I would continue to add organic material annually, and till into the soil. Should keep the soil loose for you.

Comment

Starting seeds today. First time.

Comment

I just might clean out the grow buckets this year. And put some seeds in them.

No tell-n yet. But will probably add some marigold seeds I collected from my plants a few years ago. Marigolds have a natural anti-moskitoe repellent in them. I could go pick Okra in shorts and a t-shirt and not get bit, till I stepped outside the zone. They also help repel other insects. But draw pollinators.

I've still got a freezer full of cayenne from 5 years ago . So, prob won't be growing any of those. I need to dry them out and grind them up.

Comment

I have a pretty small raised garden bed. Last year was the first year to plant. Lime said before, too much water and had some pretty hard winds do a number on the plants. I am looking for a guide/rule of thumb for planting jalapeños, squash, onion/shallots and tomatoes. The tomato plants will be the starter ones from Lowes likely, about a foot and will be in their own pots.

When should I plant?
                          How much water?

I have compost ready to mix in, already tilled up the soil from last year's garden.

I am in the Burnet area, so typically not a ton of rainfall with last year being the exception.

Comment

So it looks like I’ll be a little late but I’ll get my seeds started as soon as they arrive. This will be my first time raising my tomatoes, onions and peppers from seed but I’m looking forward to it.
                            I’ll be doing all raised beds. I’ve been getting a bunch of free water troughs from people I’ve helped out.

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                              I have a pretty small raised garden bed. Last year was the first year to plant. Lime said before, too much water and had some pretty hard winds do a number on the plants. I am looking for a guide/rule of thumb for planting jalapeños, squash, onion/shallots and tomatoes. The tomato plants will be the starter ones from Lowes likely, about a foot and will be in their own pots.

When should I plant?
                              How much water?

I have compost ready to mix in, already tilled up the soil from last year's garden.

I am in the Burnet area, so typically not a ton of rainfall with last year being the exception.
                              Water tomatoes a lot if you have a raised bed at least once a day. My raised beds seem to dry up pretty quick so I’m steady watering them, and I hit my jalapeño plants while I’m out there. I sprinkle 13-13-13 every couple weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X