2020 Mock Scrape Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Location is critical. Had to be were they naturally travel anyway. Clear a large spot 3-4’ to bare dirt. No roots, leaves grass. Nada. Flat ground. Hang a vertical licking branch. KEY TO THIS WORKING. TIE IT WITH ROPE AND FREE SWINGING @ Just below belt high. The will use orbital gland and licking branch 10:1 over peeing in it. It’s like a sign in book. I don’t always pee in them. If I do it only once, unless it gets rained in very soon after built. Then I’ll clean it out and basically start all over

thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A scrape that a buck makes pre rut has one purpose and is abandoned yearly. Also “lures” are fake and a believe a deer can tell. In25+ years I’ve never had a positive experience with bottles “scent”. ... like me trying to speak Spanish, it won’t take long for someone Spanish to say... you ain’t Spanish!

For scrapes now (and rut) I pee in them once... maybe. Then as soon as 1 deer uses it, it has deer scent in it. Licking branch is critical and location is even more important. I can’t draw them to it really, but can alter their daily routine in order to check to see “who” is in the area. It’s a social thing, but will become routine.

Have you ever tried Pure Whitetail scents? They are collected from one deer to one bottle. They even put the name of the deer it came from on it. They are also refrigerated to stay fresh. I have used them with very good luck. I use them in the Scent Blasters though. Have never tried them in a scrape. I will start my Scent Blasters running this weekend and run it through season end.

Comment

No. They might work.... they MIGHT NOT. I can make a deer use one of fresh dirt and appearance alone. Again, it’s like me speaking Spanish. Less is more. If I try and put too much into it, they will know I ain’t what I’m imitating.

If scents work in your area, then that’s another tool you can use. I have 0% positive experiences with any and I’ve used “real and fresh” before

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
          ? on how to make a mock scrape. do yall just clear the dirt/leaves on the ground with your boot then just pee in it? ive refreshed a couple ive found by peeing in em but never had any return to it. think I had to much red bull in the urine because you could sure smell it coming out of me lol
          I use a drip. It has to be on a trail that is frequented. Yes, clear debris away and rake the dirt, also make sure there is a limb or vine over hanging the scrape. You can install your own limb if you want. In your area there is some type of bush, shrub, tree they will prefer to use, you use it too. Where I hunt most of the scrapes will be under Yaupon, Huckleberry and Muscadine limbs and vines.

In the drip I usually use vanilla, Anise oil, urine, goat dung. Anything that will make them curious or desire to refreshen the scrape.

Comment

Probably have to remake mine, been raining pretty much since I raked it out

Comment

I made one the other day. There’s always a big scrape under that cedar bush. You can see the licking branches that have been used for a long time. There’s a heavy trail that you might can see in the background that goes right past it.

I put a camera on it set to video mode. Will check it in a few weeks.

It’s on the edge of a little ridge between some blackjack thickets and one of my big food plots. Lot of deer on that hill, and I saw 4 nice bucks when I was driving down there to put it out. Hopefully I’ll get some good stuff to add to this thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-13 18-50-59 M 2_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	24623924

Name:	2015-10-21 09-40-22 M 2_3.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24623925

Name:	2015-10-22 23-30-26 M 3_3.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24623926

Name:	2015-10-22 18-52-00 M 1_3.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24623927

Name:	2015-10-31 01-25-07 M 1_3.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24623928Another mock scrape that I got thousands of pics off of. Here is just a few.

Comment

I learned something new today. Thanks, I’m going to give this a try.

Comment

Cool thread! I see you have learned this from Jeff with WHS on youtube. I have been thinking about setting a few up. Need to get out to my place in Oklahoma and start getting ready for season. Keep the updates coming!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                      Cool thread! I see you have learned this from Jeff with WHS on youtube. I have been thinking about setting a few up. Need to get out to my place in Oklahoma and start getting ready for season. Keep the updates coming!
                      Jeff is one of my favorite hunting related YouTubers. I haven't made any mock scrapes, but I've been keeping one "worked" that I found last season. I usually stir it up & **** in it when I go.

Comment

I have tried this in East Texas with little success. The location seems to be key.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                          Not sure who Jeff is. Im not sure when I started taking pics at mock scrapes, it was before drips and digital cameras. I used an old Camtrakker back then.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Not sure who Jeff is. Im not sure when I started taking pics at mock scrapes, it was before drips and digital cameras. I used an old Camtrakker back then.
                            Talking about Jeff sturrgis. He has 9,456 clients in 74 states and has been using a no plow method by plowing for the past 20+ years.

But I will give him credit for the hanging vertical limb/vine addition. It seems to work even better than a natural low hanging horizontal limb. And don’t break off

Comment

Talking about Jeff sturrgis. He has 9,456 clients in 74 states and has been using a no plow method by plowing for the past 20+ years.

But I will give him credit for the hanging vertical limb/vine addition. It seems to work even better than a natural low hanging horizontal limb. And don’t break off

That first part of your post hit the nail on the head. That's my least favorite part about ALL of his videos. I feel like he used to use the RTP drill and maybe he lost that sponsor so he doesn't promote it?

Comment

Excuse my ignorance on the Licking Branch, but what is the Licking Branch? and what does it have on it?

Scrapes I have had success with. Just didn't realize I was missing out with the Licking Branch Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X