• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    OP,

looking good brother

do you have a bullet comparator tool ?

extremely helpful when reloading to set up dies and determine ogive to base OAL.

this one is made by Sinclair and has 6 different calibers

I've never used a bullet comparator tool. Please explain how it works and the benefits.

Comment

I guess I missed it, but where did you get the jig?

Comment

Jig

Originally posted by Merc View Post
        I guess I missed it, but where did you get the jig?
        I have the same jig. It makes cutting the brass to a consistent length very easy.

Squirreldaddy.com

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
          I've never used a bullet comparator tool. Please explain how it works and the benefits.
          It measures the ogive where the bullet engages the distance or touching of the rifling...this would mostly be used for bolt actions. Every bullet brand will taper at a different location & the comparater is the easiest way to get your proper bullet seat when switching bullets.

In case of the AR, I simply seat to magazine length & will test slightly deeper just to see if groups improve.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
            Hornady make one as well. Measuring the overall length from the tip of the bullet as some might do is inconsistent as bullets will vary in length by a few thou or more. This gives you inconsistent measurements to the lands of your barrel. Measuring from the ogive of the bullet will give you the exact length and consistency from the location of the bullet (where it will contact the lands) to the lands of your barrel.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

OP,

looking good brother

extremely helpful when reloading to set up dies and determine ogive to base OAL.

this one is made by Sinclair and has 6 different calibers

Thanks man, I dont have that tool but ill look into it. This is the first round that im starting to reload.

Originally posted by rookie11 View Post
                I have the same jig. It makes cutting the brass to a consistent length very easy.

Squirreldaddy.com
                Yep its a pretty cool jig, I got mine from ebay. Its like $12. Totally worth it.

Comment

Here is whats next on the menu. The Lehigh .308 Controlled Fracturing 170gr Subsonic Bullet. Total cost should be around $0.93.
                  Brass: 0.07
                  Powder: 0.03
                  Bullet: 0.80
                  Primer:0.03

My only concern is where they mention that theyre not recommended for factory Remmy 700s and that they are designed for a 1:8 twist but my Remmy is a faster twist @ 1:7. Here is my main host that I plan using. Does anyone have any experience with these?
                  Attached Files

Comment

No but I'm fully stocked on synthetic blinker fluid and sky hooks.

Comment

Squirreldaddy.com

Just ordered one. Looks like a good product for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                        No but I'm fully stocked on synthetic blinker fluid and sky hooks.
                        I guess I don't get it

Comment

I guess I don't get it
                          Bullet comparator tool sounds made up to me. Like something you would send a new guy to the local gun store for. Just like the other things I listed.

Comment

I have an extra Harbor Freight mini cut off saw it anyone needs one. Forgot I had ordered one months ago and they automatically fulfilled the backorder so I ended up with two saws.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                              Bullet comparator tool sounds made up to me. Like something you would send a new guy to the local gun store for. Just like the other things I listed.
                              No, it's legit. And a very useful tool but only if you are into loading extremely accurate ammo.

Comment

No, it's legit. And a very useful tool but only if you are into loading extremely accurate ammo.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^this

yep...accuracy is certainly affected by the location of the bullet & the lands. Some guns like a little jump before they engage the rifling & some like a little jam into the lands. This gadget helps you get to that point when trying different bullets.

If you are happy with MOA+ then a comparator doesn't need to be on your bench...it is certainly not snake oil like suggested & is used by every benchrest shooter I've ever known.

Comment

Working...
                                X