Prime Time Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Time Brisket

Smoked this 12+ lb. prime brisket on the Recteq for 14 hours. It started out weighing a little over 17 and I trimmed off 4-5 lbs. before tossing it on the smoker. This was my 2nd brisket on my pellet smoker and it did not have as much smoke flavor as the first one I smoked about 6 months ago. I used the same exact method on my smoker as the first one to. It was still very good and **** tender after resting in my cooler for 5 hours, but just did not have the same smoky flavor as the first. I think it may have been the Bear Mountain/ Recteq combination of pellets that I had been using. Next one will be with B&B Mesquite 100%. I froze the point after smoking and will make burnt ends out of it in the future.

Pellet brands make a huge difference in smoke flavor. I find the Traeger to give the most smoke flavor so far. what temp? I need to try again I pulled the last one too soon

Comment

I would try a different brand of pellets as well. I wanted more smoke from my pellet grill, so I bought and A-Maze-N tube. You fill it with pellets, light it, and let it smolder in the cook chamber. It helped a bunch. I would be careful using mesquite pellets for long smokes. I have no experience with mesquite pellets just mesquite wood, but most BBQ that uses mesquite burn it to coals before shoveling the coals to cook on. Mesquite smoke can be extremely strong and bitter/tannic if not burned to coals first. I know first hand from smoking a brisket on mesquite wood that was immediately thrown out after a 15 hour smoke session.

Comment

Great thought on mesquite. FWIW, I like the pecan pellet flavor the best.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Pellet brands make a huge difference in smoke flavor. I find the Traeger to give the most smoke flavor so far. what temp? I need to try again I pulled the last one too soon
          I put on extreme smoke which is supposed to be 180 degrees for 12 hours and then wrapped at 160ish internal and finished inside in my oven at 240 degrees.

Comment

Working...
          X