Honey suckle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey suckle!

I want to create a natural smorgasbord for the deer in my area. I have 5.5 acres in deer heaven, I'm working on the food plot with the help of y'all, now I want to think about other natural forage. I keep hearing honey suckle from legends like GarGuy, El gato and Unclefish, but I know noting about it. Please enlighten me!
    Last edited by Backwoods101; 11-26-2014, 05:57 PM.

In......

Comment

Honeysuckle is a great deer food, you just have to let it get established, or they will eat it to the ground. I have seen cattle panels used in an arch to let it climb, and keep the deer from getting it all. If you do get it, get native, not Japanese.

Comment

I've read both pros and cons about the Japanese honeysuckle. One site even suggested to talk it over with your neighbor if you plan on planting on a fence line. It sounds like the Japanese is the only one that can be overwhelming but also sounds like it's the best for year round forage for deer.

Comment

Do you plant the seeds or a transplant?

Comment

You can take a cutting from another plant and plant that. One idea is to plant a cutting with some kind of a watering system and to give it something to protect it and to grow on build a brush pile over it. Not one so thick it blocks all the sun but enough to keep out the cows and deer. Most of us have old cut cedar laying around and its great for this. I'd also build a seclusion cage out of fine window screen to keep the rabbits and mice from chewing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
              Honeysuckle is a great deer food, you just have to let it get established, or they will eat it to the ground. I have seen cattle panels used in an arch to let it climb, and keep the deer from getting it all. If you do get it, get native, not Japanese.

What kind of negative characteristics comes with the Japanese in your opinion?

Comment

Where does one get native honey suckle. All the nurseries up here have Japanese variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                  What kind of negative characteristics comes with the Japanese in your opinion?
                  For starters, it's an invasive species that out competes native plants and spreads rapidly. I just try to keep from introducing any non-native species as possible, when there is a native species available.
                  As for where to get it, I am not sure. I am sure that a local nursery could order some in if they don't have any.

Comment

I went to a local nursery owned by a long time friend. He keeps several types of Honeysuckle of at least 4 types. The native here in the Ark-La-Tex is one called Coral. I am not sure of the scientific name. I purchased 5 in the 3' tall 5 gallon bucket size. Since it like to be near water, I put it a little to close and high water with a current took out 2 of the 5. It has been a yr now and seams to be slow growing. I might need to fertilize. hope this helps

Comment

CHECK THESE FOLKS OUT

Comment

curious myself

Comment

bump

Comment

I would just go with Japanese and not worry about trying a native honeysuckle. The Coral variety is much slower growing than Japanese. I have planted a lot of honeysuckle and it is very easy to establish through transplanting.

Comment

How difficult will it be to keep the Japanese from spreading? My neighbors property is very thick and I would hate for it to spread over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X