Richland Chambers WMA - Drawn hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Chambers WMA - Drawn hunt

did anyone draw a permit for the RC bow hunt? I'm drew one for Oct 11-15. I drew a permit about 3 years ago and hunted the north unit. I'm curious if anyone has hunted the south unit and the north unit and what you take is. Which unit is easier to bow hunt? I scouted the north unit this wknd and saw lots of pigs and 6 deer, one very nice buck.

I have only hunted the north unit, it seems to me that the south would be better as far as bowhunting goes. More forest. The north unit seemed like a lot of pasture to me, but there is a spot that looked pretty good way back at very end of gate 19 That would be decent for bowhunting. What units did you look at on the north side? I didn't get drawn, but my kid did for the youth managment in Nov.

Comment

they won't assign the unit until the first day of the hunt. There are some good spots in the North unit but when i hunted 3 years ago i remember talking to several of the guys who had hunted the south area in the past and they said it has a lot of oak flats and more hardwoods. The north zone has few oaks. I saw quite a few buck tracks so there are opportunities in the North zone but i think I'll have to set up more ground blinds. Prefer to hunt in a tree!!

Comment

The south zone does have more woods and oak trees, but you can't go wrong with either unit in terms of the number and size of deer. If you're bowhunting, I would hunt the south unit if you can. I have hunted compartment ten for two different draw hunts, and there is about a ten acre field that has been a great spot for me. Each time I sat that field, I saw at least one nice sized buck and several does. I was rifle hunting for both hunts but there were several trails on the west side of the field that would make great bow stand sites.

Good luck. Richland Creek is a great place to draw!

Comment

Did you draw this year??
          I have been there 3 times. 2 on a archery hunt, one on a youth hunt, all in the north unit. In the 2 yrs of archery, between me and 2 other guys, we killed a total of 6 does, 1 buck, and 2 hogs, all out of comp. 16.
          On the youth hunt, seen a LOT of deer, but none were within his range (100 yds or less).
          I never got to hunt the south unit, but the north side is fairly easy to hunt. The trails stick out like a sore thumb!!!

Comment

I used to hunt there alot before they went to the draw hunts. Always loved the South Unit. Lots of deer and pretty easy to hunt.

Comment

Hunted the South unit with my son 2 years ago and the deer were scarce due to the flooding that took place the year before in 2007. The guys working at the WMA said most of the deer moved across the river to private property that Fall and those guys across the river had a banner year for deer hunting. It has probably recovered by now. That was a tough weekend though. It was youth GDE and when we left late Sunday out of 15 or 20 kids I cant remember there were only 3 bucks and maybe 3 does in the cooler. There are some great deer in that area though.

Good Luck to all who were drawn.

Comment

Take a pair of binoculars,park on the road that crosses the dam and glass the treeline across the "forbidden zone" and you'll see for yourself what kind of deer the south unit holds.Some real jaw-dropping bucks usually come out to feed just before dark. Most of the woods look like Florida,palmetto and cane thickets,a few hardwoods on the high spots.

Comment

believe me I spend a lot of time at the dam watching, they have been mowing every week so you can see a farther and farther out each weekend when i go up to the farm. we have a couple hundred acres just down the road off 416 on the south side of RC so i'm only 7 miles from the forbidden zone. Its funny how big the dear are along the Trinity river bottom yet just 7 miles down the road in more than 10 years i've never seen anything close to the genetics on the govt property. I drew a gun tag last year but we were canceled due to the flooding and unfortunately i didn't get drawn this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X