Blown in Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown in Insulation

Anybody ever blow insulation in their attic? Curious if this is something that I should try to tackle myself or hire out. Any insight would be appreciated!

Hire it out.

I bought all the insulation from Lowes and got their machine. The machine was a hunk of crap and wouldn't blow the insulation. It ran fine, just wouldn't do the job. I ended up hiring a guy to come do it, and it came out to about 1.5 times the material cost, if I'd have made the other stuff work.

Comment

I just hired it out at $.40/sf. At that price, it's not worth the trouble to do it yourself.

Comment

Yep if you call around you can get it done for what you can buy it for

Comment

It is a pain in the butt, hot, dirty, nasty job........but it is something you can do yourself. Just need at least one other person (better if you have two) helping to feed the machine. The key is breaking up the bats of insulation well enough BEFORE you dump it in the blower. Once you get going, it isn't very difficult. Buy your insulation at Lowe's and use their blower for free.

Comment

Check with your power company, when we were with TXU, they had a program going to have someone come and seal the house up and blow in new attic insulation. It cost us nothing to have it done, no strings attached. This was a few years ago but the guys who came out said they had been doing it all over the state for years. I was going to do it myself at about $700 just for the materials until we were told of that program.

Comment

Hire it out, I did the same as Kevin and it was a joke. Not worth the hassle at all and they can do it in a fraction of the time. They buy the insulation and sell it cheaper than the big box stores and I was amazed at how little it actually cost to have it done verses buying the stuff and trying to use their crappy worn out machine.

Comment

Hire out, I went to the box stores and actually got it cheaper by getting a local insulation company to do it.

Comment

Thanks guys! Anybody have a guy in North Dallas/ Plano area?

Comment

Following along for the fort worth area

Comment

Working...
                    X