food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

food plots

I have never planted a food plot in the spring when is the best time to do so and what would yall recommend?

I typically try to get them in the ground by easter. What to plant all depends on your area...best bet is to contact your local NRCS, or TPWD and get some suggestions on whats commonly planted in your area

Comment

never thought of that.
      I was thinking of using antler king red zone, just because of the availability, and the size of the plot, it isn't but maybe an acre.

Comment

only downfall to mixed blends is there is usually alot of trash in it, i've had good luck with the Whitetail Institute Extreme and also the Whitetail Extreme Chic Magnet

but probably your best bet is going to be some form of Chicory just cause it will grow in a wide range of soils and ph, and also it handles the drought pretty well
        Last edited by canny; 02-16-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

cowpeas always work, deer love em the best.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
            cowpeas always work, deer love em the best.
            x-2 and soybean

Comment

we dont plant springtime, just the fall

Comment

Contact local feed and seed store, as well TP&W they will know what works in your area.

Comment

I have always have tried to get my spring foodplots in by the end of March. Iron and Clay cowpeas are what I have been planting and the deer really like them. They are high in protein also. Chicory is good but it is fairly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                    I have always have tried to get my spring foodplots in by the end of March. Iron and Clay cowpeas are what I have been planting and the deer really like them. They are high in protein also. Chicory is good but it is fairly expensive.
                    Only downfall to cowpeas is that they don't handle heavy browsing pressure well. If you have alot of deer and no way to keep them out then they can kill a good cow pea plot quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X