2021 College Softball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
    Can you elaborate a little more? I watch both frequently as well and I see very little moving base runners and stealing any more in baseball. It is more drastic at the pro level obviously. The dimensions of the field also dictate some it as well, so in that respect they are two different games.
    Maybe it's just because I primarily watch Texas, but they will sac bunt, and steal bases as much as the girls. Without knowing the actual numbers, I'd say the men steal more, maybe bunt a little less....which is how I prefer it. The steal is a more exciting play than the bunt. I know Ok St, and TCU will bunt on ya too.

I much prefer the longer bases and the aggressiveness required to get the next base on balls to the outfield.

I prefer the bigger field and the more athletic plays that it requires in both infield and outfield. Covering ground, and making a longer throw.

The number of errors in softball drives me nuts, especially dropped fly balls and booted ground balls, although I realize the infielders are very close to the plate. Again, I primarily watch Texas softball, and they seemed atrocious in the field.

I prefer the pitching strategy in baseball. Those girls throwing underhand never wear out!

What drives me the most insane is the way lefthanders are 1/2 way to first when they swing in softball. It's weird looking (ala Japanese baseball players) and it uglies up the game to me.

Just my thoughts. I still enjoy softball though. Enjoyed the conversation, as well.

Comment

I guess what kills me about Pro Baseball today is the SHIFT. If the right-side or left-side of the infield has one guy there. Why not bunt and make them pay but NO majority of the time the batter will swing away and hit RIGHT into the shift. Softball is a faster game and like Bowhunter stated girls or getting stronger and faster. Fun times to come for softball for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BRust View Post
        I guess what kills me about Pro Baseball today is the SHIFT. If the right-side or left-side of the infield has one guy there. Why not bunt and make them pay but NO majority of the time the batter will swing away and hit RIGHT into the shift. Softball is a faster game and like Bowhunter stated girls or getting stronger and faster. Fun times to come for softball for sure.
        Pro ball is slowly dying thanks in no small part to awful leadership. I'd like to strangle Rob Manfred for just a minute or two...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Maybe it's just because I primarily watch Texas, but they will sac bunt, and steal bases as much as the girls. Without knowing the actual numbers, I'd say the men steal more, maybe bunt a little less....which is how I prefer it. The steal is a more exciting play than the bunt. I know Ok St, and TCU will bunt on ya too.

I much prefer the longer bases and the aggressiveness required to get the next base on balls to the outfield.

I prefer the bigger field and the more athletic plays that it requires in both infield and outfield. Covering ground, and making a longer throw.

The number of errors in softball drives me nuts, especially dropped fly balls and booted ground balls, although I realize the infielders are very close to the plate. Again, I primarily watch Texas softball, and they seemed atrocious in the field.

I prefer the pitching strategy in baseball. Those girls throwing underhand never wear out!

What drives me the most insane is the way lefthanders are 1/2 way to first when they swing in softball. It's weird looking (ala Japanese baseball players) and it uglies up the game to me.

Just my thoughts. I still enjoy softball though. Enjoyed the conversation, as well.
          I will have to agree with you on some of your points, which are well thought out I have to say. There may be less stealing in college softball compared to baseball, most of my comparison is to pro baseball, where there seems to be very little anymore. I don't know if most people realize the strength of the arms of these college softball catchers, some of them are amazing. Mary Iakopo at Texas has a cannon. The ball is bigger and less aerodynamic (funny talking about a round object) than a baseball but the base paths are shorter so it somewhat equals out.
          There are more errors in softball, but Texas' defense is atrocious compared to most upper level D1 teams, hell even smaller schools. I have also watched a lot of D2 and D3 softball and have seen a few girls there that are absolute wizards in the middle infield, but didn't go D1 for various reasons. Defense is where I have seen a lot of improvements in softball in recent years and girls get better coaching at younger ages and are starting to move and field more like their male counterparts.
          The dominance of some softball pitchers can be frustrating, but I appreciate the skill level to throw that hard and accurately underhanded. I can see how slappers (lefties that are half way to first) can be aggravating, but to me it is another strategic part of the game that kind of relates back to small ball in baseball.
          Thanks for the response and I have enjoyed the discussion as well.

Comment

Dale.. that's a FACT. Softball update OKS winning 3-1 in the 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by BRust View Post
              Some of the "unwritten rules" of the game make it more of a pissing match sometimes. I appreciate some of them, but not when they remove strategy. if you are able to move fielders around based on my tendencies, I will do what I can to change my tendencies, strategy. I miss small ball, and prefer National League ball with no DH, just creates more strategy. I do love watching the game for the pitching / hitting chess match and the athletic defensive plays.

Comment

Forget pro baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Do you have attention span issues?

There are some manly looking girls playing these days....

I’m pretty sure the catcher for Alabama could easily whip my ***. That’s a big sturdy girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And just like that she goes yard!

Comment

Not seeing much Gus ball at all. 90% gorilla ball.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Seeing a little Gus ball now. Lol.

Comment

I will say I have been watching the softball World Series for many years just because. The lack of athleticism is very evident when comparing it the the guys game. No different than basketball.

I think baseball is much more exciting to watch than softball. I’m not sure how anyone would prefer watching this over the same level of baseball. I guess if I had a daughter playing, I might but doubt it.

Comment

Fouts for Alabama is bringing it tonight 14K's thru 6 innings

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              I will say I have been watching the softball World Series for many years just because. The lack of athleticism is very evident when comparing it the the guys game. No different than basketball.

I think baseball is much more exciting to watch than softball. I’m not sure how anyone would prefer watching this over the same level of baseball. I guess if I had a daughter playing, I might but doubt it.

Obviously there are in athleticism between the two genders, but I think you are discounting some things that may look different as a lack of athleticism when maybe it isn't. If you get out on the field and throw, hit and run with some of these girls you would realize they are pretty athletic.
                              Most of them throw the ball a lot harder than you realize, but they are on average smaller and throwing a much larger ball.

Comment

Originally posted by BowhunterB View Post
                                Obviously there are in athleticism between the two genders, but I think you are discounting some things that may look different as a lack of athleticism when maybe it isn't. If you get out on the field and throw, hit and run with some of these girls you would realize they are pretty athletic.

Most of them throw the ball a lot harder than you realize, but they are on average smaller and throwing a much larger ball.
                                You should probably just stop dude. Jesus christ.

Comment

Working...
                                X