Hunting on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting on public land

Ok, I haven’t hunted public land since I was a kid. As an adult, I’ve always had a buddy or relative with land, paid for a lease or something like that.

I’ve looked into buying land, but it’s super expensive for decent land and in my head I’m always thinking “what if it dries up in 5 years and I want to hunt elsewhere.”

So, forgive a couple of stupid questions that I’m a little embarrassed to ask.

1). Is there anything special you have to do to hunt public land? Like permits or anything?

2). Are there any protocols in picking a spot other than looking around making sure you’re not in the middle of someone else’s spot?

As a kid, I remember just sort of “showing up” and either setting up a stand after scouting or just spot and stalk hunting. Is there anything more exiting that that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most require a permit, some cost some don’t.

Comment

You need a hunting license and then buy the $48 public hunting endorsement. They will give you a book with maps of where you can go and the bag limits. You’ll get the book when you buy the endorsement or they’ll mail it to you depending where you get it

Comment

I always buy the Texas “Super Combo” every year which I believe has it, but I’ll check. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog20/20 View Post
          I always buy the Texas “Super Combo” every year which I believe has it, but I’ll check. Thanks

The Super Combo does NOT have the $48 permit you need for public ground!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            The Super Combo does NOT have the $48 permit you need for public ground!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for saving me the search!

Comment

You will only need the $48 for state managed land such as WMA's. Any Federally managed land like National Forests (besides Sam Houston) does not require the APH permit. Some refuges you will have to look up websites and sign a permit (usually free).

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog20/20 View Post
                Ok, I haven’t hunted public land since I was a kid. As an adult, I’ve always had a buddy or relative with land, paid for a lease or something like that.

I’ve looked into buying land, but it’s super expensive for decent land and in my head I’m always thinking “what if it dries up in 5 years and I want to hunt elsewhere.”

So, forgive a couple of stupid questions that I’m a little embarrassed to ask.

1). Is there anything special you have to do to hunt public land? Like permits or anything?

2). Are there any protocols in picking a spot other than looking around making sure you’re not in the middle of someone else’s spot?

As a kid, I remember just sort of “showing up” and either setting up a stand after scouting or just spot and stalk hunting. Is there anything more exiting that that?

$48 Public Hunt Permit. Some places are draw hunts. Most Nat and St Forest are covered under that. First come first serve on "spots". SETx public is pretty good if you do your due diligence and scout.

Comment

Can be good. Wear plenty of orange.

Comment

OK from you posted not sure which state you are in. But many states have public land for hunting (as many people can't afford leases...they gotten too expensive ). Texas has 1000's acs. Public for $48 annual permit grant access to them all. As for setting up on anyone spot (unless they are already in place) it is first come-first sit... no one can claim a certain area as theirs, regardless of how much prescouting they put in. Just nature of beast on public lands.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the Public Hunting Forum. There's a ton of info on there.

Comment

Working...
                      X