No announcement yet.

Tree Stand for Leaning Branch Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It bears repeating. This will not work. It will break. Those vertical rods on the stand are not there for horizontal forces... they are for compression force only.

I know that people like to poke fun at engineers... but I am telling you that what your thing there is a death trap.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      Testing it on the ground isn't going to help you when it gives way when it is 10' or higher off the ground. Please read my note above.
      I know how the stand was originally designed to work. This was just an idea and may just fail. If I get it to work and work well then I'll have something handy in my pocket to use.

Comment

Hunt a different tree, get a ladder stand if you can't afford to by Woodsey too ,
        Please don't use the stand in a way it was not designed for?

Comment

Originally posted by CHParker View Post
          I know how the stand was originally designed to work. This was just an idea and may just fail. If I get it to work and work well then I'll have something handy in my pocket to use.
          If you understood how it worked, you would have designed it to transfer forces at the proper points.

And yes, I take things like somebody returning home to thier wife, husband, and kids seriously.

You don't have to heed my warnings... but I hope anybody else who sees this doesn't think this is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            If you understood how it worked, you would have designed it to transfer forces at the proper points.

And yes, I take things like somebody returning home to thier wife, husband, and kids seriously.

You don't have to heed my warnings... but I hope anybody else who sees this doesn't think this is a good idea.

I dont think anyone does.

Comment

Really like your idea! One good way to keep it from slipping is to hang your stand where you want it, mark right below the bottom brace against tree where you can screw in some heavy foot pegs, take stand off, screw in pegs, attach stand back on limb and let it light rest there on pegs. Ratchet the crap out of it and done. Another thing you could do to reinforce the vertical leg strength of the stand is to take another piece of small tubing and where your bolts are just bolt to the back of it. Good luck, please post pics and results. Oh and like everyone else said, safety harness for sure

Comment

I like the general idea of what you have going on there. I suggest you maybe consider building another plate/frame that will have some "teeth" on it to put on the back side of the limb and you can connect it to the frame you currently have made on the stand with some chain and turn buckles that will go over the top an bottom of the limb.

Comment

I'll do/have done some sketchy $&@^ to hunt where I wanted to hunt.... but ain't no way I'd sit in that thing...nope

.... and I've hunted on a "bobcat" 30' up- a bobcat is a seat that straps to a tree, that's it no platform. You sat on seat facing tree.... that you spiked up. And wrapped legs around tree... and I still wouldn't hunt that set up

Comment

Get a Johnson 360°

Comment

Not worth the possible outcome.... don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X