Live with Sacajawea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    Man... I know the feeling all to well unfortunately. It sucks. Period.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes sir it does. No feeling like it in the world other than getting ahold of some bad seafood maybe....

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
    I think you are probably right in your assessment. If you hit high, over the vitals, the deer will probably live with no issue.

I am sorry you didn't get him, but I enjoyed reading all the updates and you really put in the time and effort.

I hope you see the deer soon, and get some closure, I hope you get another chance. In any case, I am glad you took a turn with the bow and became part of the history.

At the time of the shot, I'd spent 51 hours and 50 minutes in the stand hoping for the opportunity to put my tag on a mature buck. That's nearly 20 hours less than I'd spent up unto the same point last year in the tree, but the fire hasn't been burning quite as strong to hunt this season mainly due to the weather and lack of deer movement in general. That initial feeling of seeing that rascal appear out of nowhere and into my shooting lane sent my hear rate from 50 beats a minute to 250 in a split second. I've been blessed beyond and above all measures and fortunate to get to travel and harvest animals the last couple years that have filled my dreams ever since I was a child. But there is just something about a big whitetail that rattles me to the core and makes me go nuts from the inside out.

After watching and waiting for nearly 15minutes to get the perfect shot, I had enough time to pull myself together, slow my heart, and clear my mind of everything except for the thought of "pick a spot". When the arrow left the string, so did all the time, effort, energy, and countless hours spent leading up to that one moment we all as hunters aspire to get experience with each and every time we enter the woods.

It's been fun getting to shoot and hunt with Sac and I feel fortunate to have been part of her travels this far. Sitting in the stand looking her over and seeing the small scuff on the limb here or the scratch on the grip there makes me wonder of all the places it's been, all the folks who've got to shoot her, all the trips it's got to take to the 3D range or to the woods, and also how many other bows are out there that have been on as many adventures as she has all the while being carried by so many different folks. Hopefully, I'll get to add more to her story before she moves on in a week or so. For now, she's resting on the bow rack waiting to get back out to the woods while my #1 hunting bow comes out of the bullpen for the next couple of sits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i needed closure with this buck.....

sorry for your loss Sr.

Comment

You gave it a heck of an effort my friend. Thank you for taking us along.

I am sure that your buck will be fine. Hopefully you will be lucky like I was 30+ years ago, I shot a nice buck high and was fortunate to get him 2 weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by Schweino View Post
          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i needed closure with this buck.....

sorry for your loss Sr.

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
          Hate that for ya brother! But, as has already been said, flesh wound, and he will survive! Now ya get to chase him again! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
          You gave it a heck of an effort my friend. Thank you for taking us along.

I am sure that your buck will be fine. Hopefully you will be lucky like I was 30+ years ago, I shot a nice buck high and was fortunate to get him 2 weeks later.

Redemption on this deer is definitely not out of question and hopefully it will happen. My stepdad brought to my attention a buck we both had history with about 4 years ago. We were on a pig kill/scouting mission 2 weeks before rifle season. We made a quick trip to our lease at the time and dropped down into this big pecan bottom. As soon as we popped out of a creek that ran along the edge of the bottom, I grabbed my stepdad by the shoulder and pointed out a big buck working a scrape about 90yards out. It was a smoker of an 8pt with decent time length, but had mass that was unreal that ran all the way out to the tips of his tines. We'd seen a bunch of bucks with broken points that fall and seeing him pretty much solidified what was causing it. We watched the deer move on and chased a doe out of sight. Fast forward a week, my stepdad sent me a text he'd stuck the big 8 over a mile away. He came in straight under him and he only had a straight down shot. The buck took off an stopped about 60yards away in a spot that he couldn't get another shot at him (hunting with a compound) but was able to get a good look and see blood on top of his back and see bloody foam coming out of his mouth and the entry hole. I headed over immediately and we began to look with no luck and very little blood. Two days later and many miles covered, we gave up the search.
          Two weeks from the day he shot him, he and a friend of ours spotted him chasing a doe! They worked trying to get a shot at him but he slipped away into the tall prairies.
          Fast forward to the following rifle season a year later, I was back in the pecan bottom which we'd first encountered the buck. It was a night I'll never forget for as long as I live as I saw more mature bucks that evening than I'd ever seen in one sit. I had a buck I was not 100% sure of that was locked down with a doe across a small creek and all I knew was he had a BIG FRAME and I couldn't tell if he had 4 points or 40 points, but I did come to the conclusion I was going to find out! As light faded I waited for the perfect shot on him, and soon as he stepped into a clear spot to shoot at just over 300 yards, I flipped my safety of and it hung up on on a twig! I pulled my eye away from the crosshairs, knocked the safety off and bares back down on the buck again. Just as my finger went to touch the trigger, my scope was filled up with horns! Out of no where, a giant of an 8 point literally WALKED INTO MY CROSSHAIRS between me and my initial target buck. All I could see was heavy mass and a body that looked like it had been carried for years and loose skin and neck muscles abounding. My target switched immediately and within seconds I pulled the trigger and watched the big eight nose dive into the ground. I was in total shock of what had just happened. Never had I ever dreamed of a situation like that occurring and I began questioning myself wondering if I'd made the right call. When I got to the deer I was more than pleased and super excited. I text my stepdad and let him know I had a buck down and he came down to help me drag him out. As soon as he laid eyes on him, he said "that's the 8 I shot last year with my bow!!". In all honesty, it had never crossed my mind that it was the same deer. When we got home and skinned him out, we confirmed it was indeed the buck he'd shot as he had a lot of scar tissue on his back right where my stepdad had shot him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	24470292

The buck ended up scoring 148" which is a giant 8 point for our part of the world, and to me anywhere. I'd be more than excited if the tides turned and he was able to close the chapter on the buck I shot and put him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X